“The ice cream without the cherry on top”

Silvio Nickol Gourmet Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 4,551 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Right off I will have to mention the astonishing building the restaurant is situated in. Not only does Vienna in itself serve you with tons of luxurious an breathtaking architecture, the Palais Coburg most certainly raises your expectations and is not lacking any luxury from the outside.
When we first entered the restaurant, we have been warmly welcomed and got a table outside in the rather unspectacular lounge installation. We were ready and up for the nine course tasting menu, starting with a glass of champagne. Being seated outside and having had to face several questions of the staff about whether or not we wanted to know about the price of this and that, it left us with a bittersweet taste of being like fish out of water.
Nonetheless, the waiters kept being friendly and explained the dishes well. As of the time management we encountered a rhythm that would compare to a rather bad movie (overly fast at first, exhaustingly lengthy in the middle and slightly picking up towards the end without being left with that charming spell). The amuse gueule parts of the menu kept flying in and you did not quite know where to put your fork or when to chew in order to not awkwardly being interrupted by the next little surprise. Then, once the dinner started with the real first course, it slowed down. It really slowed down. I mean it really, really slowed down. Only to accelerate again towards the dessert. If you want to get your head around the slowing down part: I do believe that we had to wait almost up to half an hour in between some of the dishes and the whole dinner took about five hours. That being for nine courses, an extra course that was recommended to us, quite a few starting surprises and the little friandises at the end. Sure, you want to take your time at such a restaurant, but we were getting a bit impatient towards the end, more so as I also have had the pleasure of dining at Alinea back in 2011 and this did not take quite as long for about twice the amount of courses.
As for the dishes themselves, each and every one of them was exceptionally carefully and creatively designed. Every single dish was great in taste and left us with a smile, yet a sort of monotony found its way into the creations after a couple of courses. Looking back on the ten courses plus the extra little specials, we could only name two dishes that really stood out for themselves. Those were the foie gras and the cucumber dish. Yes, foie gras divides nations and it is not well received, but we have to say that Silvio Nickol paired it phenomenally well with other ingredients such as fragolino raisins and nuts, so that every bite was a delight. But we would have to fight about whether the foie gras or the cucumber was better. The cucumber dish is said to be better tasting than it sounds. Cucumber with tapioka, coconut, cilantro and juniper - you get what I mean. But as odd as this dessert course sounds, as surprisingly refreshing and wonderful was its taste. What a lovely little dream!
We did have a little trouble with the check at the end. The staff only charged us with the wine pairing instead of the tasting menu, which lead to not much further complications but an even more time consuming back and forth of the waiters. A pleasant encounter was the chef himself, surprising us with a little chat at the exit before we left the restaurant.
Having left we were sure to be able to say that we had a lovely evening with even more lovely food, but that we did find us in lack of the overall „wow"-effect. It is a sure recommendation if you want to spend the money and quite a good value for the price as well, but you might want to make sure to be seated inside the restaurant for a better feel of the experience in total.

silvionickol, Chefkoch at Silvio Nickol Gourmet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Julien,

First of all I want to thank you for your great and detailed feedback and that you spent the time on writing it. I will pass on the compliments about the service and the well tasting dishes to my whole team. I`m sorry about the long time you had to wait between the courses. I will discuss this also with my team.

I would be very glad to welcome you once again as our guest.

Greetings to Zürich
Your Silvio Nickol

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Dinner at Silvio Nickol Restaurant was very impressive experience. I had the feeling to participate in the perfectly directed spectacle. Starting with the entrance to the Coburg Palace, where the restaurant is located, when we were led by majestic doorman, through the introduction and presentation of the dinner program, done by the young waiter and then the main consumption and wine pairing, everything is precisely arranged and the guests really feel in the good hands. We decided for the 5 courses menu and it was absolutely enough, considering some before-appetizers, we got at the beginning. All the dishes were absolutely fabulous, very inventive and excellently prepared. Only one dish - venison, we estimated like slightly without character. And the one of the main strengths of this place - wine pairing, with the perfectly chosen types of wines, coming from all over the world. During the evening, we were served by few young and hansom waiters, not only Austrian origin and they were very kind, attentive and professional. The dinner was expensive, but this gourmet restaurant is really place for splurging occasionally.

6  Thank laserkid

Dear guest,

Thank you for your visit and the feedback, you gave to us. I will pass on your positive words to my team. We are glad to hear, that you have had a great stay at Vienna and enjoyed the dishes at my restaurant. Therefore I hope to see you again soon at my restaurant here in Vienna.

Greetings

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We celebrated my wife birthday @ Silvio Nikol and enjoyed everything. From the start to the end of our dinner Chef and his team did great job to make us feel like at home. The volume of food and drinks were balanced and 5 course menu was just fine. Will come back again for sure).

3  Thank SVG2909
silvionickol, Chefkoch at Silvio Nickol Gourmet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your visit and the feedback, you gave to us. I will pass on your positive words to my team. We are glad to hear, that you have had a great stay at Vienna and hope to see you again soon at our restaurant.

Greetings

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We were a team from Norway who works at the "Restaurant Smak" in Bodø and got a surprise menu of 9 dishes. Modern and classic clear flavors.

Truly a wonderful place with both food and wine combinations. But not the least way being served, precision, taste, appearance, atmosphere.

As an apprentice in kitchen from Norway. This has really given me a whole new experience in the culinary world. Thank you so much!

5  Thank RC1610

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It´s fine to hear that you and your colleagues had a great time in Vienna and especially in my restaurant. I hope you visit us again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I picked Silvio Nickol as our splurge restaurant in Vienna, and everything about the experience was wonderful. The food was creative, using inventive combinations, and every dish hit the mark. The service was friendly and knowledgable, and we were able to chat with them and even joke with them. There was no stuffiness, which we really enjoyed. The setting is stunning, a clean modern look in a historic palace. We even had he opportunity to meet Silvio at the end of our meal, and he was charismatic and had a good sense of humor. This meal came just as we were getting homesick, and it changed our spirits and set us up for a great final few days in Vienna.

5  Thank LMZV

Dear guest,

Thank you for visiting us in Vienna and giving us feedback about your stay. I like it to hear that you were very satisfied of your meal. It´s great that my team and I could stop you from being homesick and we hope that you visit us again the next time you are in Vienna.

Kind regards