“Very Good Hotel But Lousy Air Conditioning System”
Review of Hotel Amadeus

Hotel Amadeus
Ranked #123 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed June 10, 2013

There are many pluses to this hotel. The location is excellent. The hotel staff is professional, extremely nice and very helpful. The beds are comfortable. The pillows are soft and luxurious. The rooms are simple and comfortable and clean (if you want luxury stay somewhere else). I've stayed here 3 times over the last 9 years and I've always found all of the above to be true and unfortunately all of the below is true also.
The big problem with this hotel is the air conditioning. It is horrible. I'm staying here in early June. The temperatures are somewhat mild (mid 70's) but at night, the air conditioner mysteriously begin pumping out warm air into an already warm room. I was almost roasted alive two nights ago because we had the window closed. (I got 3 hours of sleep because it was so uncomfortable.)
The air conditioning system here has worked the same ever since my first visit to this hotel in 2004. There is an adequate amount of somewhat cool air in the morning, in the afternoon and in the early evening but around 2AM, warm air comes out of the air conditioner (as though you had turned on the heater). I stay here because my friends love this hotel so I've learned to sleep with the a/c turned on and the window wide open (which of course means we get the noise from the street in the middle of the night). Requiring the window to be open also means that we can't have the black out shades all the way down (because we need the fresh air to come into the room during the night). Consequently, I wake up when the room is bright (this time of year that happens at 5AM) but I don't mind this too much.
If they improved the a/c, I would give this hotel a rating of "excellent" as it truly is. But I need to be in a cool environment for a good night's sleep. If you don't care about a/c you will love this place for the comfort. Other minor complaints include weak wifi signal on the 7th floor of the hotel and a super slow elevator. Overall, these are minor complaints compared to the quality of this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor so you can use the stairs and avoid the super slow elevator (also it's goo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MiepGies

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The positive first:
- friendly staff
- centrally located (a few minutes from Stephansplatz), yet very quiet
- clean (but... see below)
- good breakfast buffet with good coffee

The not so positive
- The single rooms are rather unattractive. Window gives to an inner court; not really a room to enjoy being in
- Heating / cooling not easy to regulate
- One night I had some sort of insect in my bed

It is a decent place. I wonder how they got their fourth star, but still recommendable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Usually I travel to Vienna for business and pleasure and Amadeus is the best Hotel to stay in Vienna.
Is a family business and personal is very pleasant, and familiar. You will see the same faces for years.
Breakfast is good and simple, with small tables and nice ladies, which are serving tea or café. Breakfast is included in the room price.
Because is in center of Vienna , is very comfortable to make sopping, or to have a dinner in a good restaurant.
In winter time you can walk to Central Hall, in order to drink warm wine, and eat specific Austrian food.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Lucka N
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Charming, character hotel. Location is splendid. 3 min walk to the Stephans Dom. Staff are switched on and willing & able. Breakfast in nice and quality although the variety is limited. Surrounded by nice shops, cafes, restaurants. A good bet if you're in Vienna for the first time and don't want to spend a couple of hundreds of Euros per night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I booked this hotel on the recommendation of my tour book and foind it to be a great disappointment. The room faces a back alley and is very dark. I was provided one flat pillow and one small towel. THe only toileteries provided came in the form of a large bottle of all-purpose soap- no shampoo, conditioner, or lotion. How am I supposed to wash my hair?

I could understand all of these limitations in a one-star or maybe a 2-star hotel, but this is supposed to be 4 stars! It's not inexpensive at all, and I thought I was splurging for a nice hotel. HUGE disappointment. When i asked the front desk to change rooms, they switched my to a second room with an equally dismal view of the back alley. The website doesn't show this! Then I asked to cancel the second night, and the woman at the desk was very rude.

Fnd another hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Rhervez
AmadeusWien, Manager at Hotel Amadeus, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Mrs. Rhervez,
thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor. Please accept our comment here, as we would like to explain our point of view:
The shampoo/shower gel combination offered is a high quality cosmetics product, which is much appreciated by our guests. A great number of guests will purchase this item, or even make orders after their stay at our Hotel, because of it´s great quality. As with any other product offered, in any Hotel, it will always be a personal matter of taste - if colour, texture or perfume of the selected item suite the individual taste. You might not have enjoyed something about the shampoo, which we are very sorry for, but would like to enforce once more, that the product itselfe is a high quality value and has never caused any complaints in terms of shampooing, conditioning or what so ever.
Very similar to your quality complaint of the shampoo, we would also like to explain the argument about the room you stayed in. You have been offered different room types, to comfort all of your wishes, but have decided to stay with your selected standard room, which you confirmed to like. You asked for a room with a better view, which we tryed to accomodate in offering the same room category, on a much higher floor level. As you did not enjoy the view there either, you decided to cancell your booking, which we certenly would have accepted, but would have had to charge a cancellation fee. These are standard hotel regulations - which you accepted with your booking. Please understand that short term cancellations cause a loss for the Hotel, and have to be charged.
A downtown location whithin the historic city center of Vienna doesn´t offer many possibilities to a generous view - but the rooms offer all comfort and amenities a vour star hotel can offer. This might have also been a very individual preference and expectation, which we are sorry to have not fulfilled.
We are also sorry about your perception concerning the staff friendlyness. We might have disappointed you, as we were not able to fulfill your wishes in terms of a better view?
Our guests comfort is most important to us, and we are awfully sorry if your experience has left you with any other feeling than that. Please, come and visit the Hotel Amadeus again, and make up your experience with another stay, which will proof best service and standards to you!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I always stay here during my business trips in Vienna. The location in perfect: a very quiet road just 2 minutes walk from the main square and St Stephan Dome. nice, cosy, clean hotel, good breakfast and very kind and friendly staff. Ideal if you go on business.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank GreenwichMaxi
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Very near to all the attractions, easy to just walk to St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom), the Danube river is not far, and near to all shopping places. It's in the hart of the city but still very quiet cause there is not much traffic.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends