“Great hotel ideally located for visiting Vienna”
Review of Hotel Kummer

Ranked #55 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hotel Kummer is ideally located on the main shopping street Mariahilfestrasse, just over the road from Neubaugasse Ubahn station. You can either take a 15 min walk to the Hofburg complex or a 5 min train ride right to Stephansplatz. There is a cinema showing latest English films two mins up the road.
The hotel staff are really pleasant and helpful, rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Only downside is no kettle in the room also be careful when taking a shower that you don't get water all over the floor. Breakfast is tremendous great selection of meats, cheeses, fruit and cooked food. Will definitely go back here when next in Vienna.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kraber, Ladislaus E. Batthyány, General Manager at Hotel Kummer, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and letting us share your experiences during your stay at the Hotel Kummer.
More so, we are very happy that you seemed to have been satisfied with quality and level of service at the Hotel Kummer, specially in regards to our breakfast and the helpfulness of our team members.
In regards to providing a kettle in the guest rooms, I can inform you that we actually do offer this service only in certain room categories, of course also our bathrooms vary, depending on the type of room booked.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and please do not hesitate to contact myself personally.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Kummer

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at Kummer Hotel for two nights for business in July 2012 and I could not have been more pleased. For me, being near the Kunsthistorisches Museum made it the perfect location. It's a 15 minute walk at a city pace, 20-25 if you're strolling. Mariahilfer Strasse looks like any city centre shopping district, but don't let that put you off as its location is convenient to several museums.

I had a single room (booked by my employer) and for those accustomed to European hotel rooms, it is plenty spacious enough for one person and includes a work desk and an area for your luggage. The bed was very comfortable and as I was on the 4th floor, it was also very quiet. The pillows felt like feather, but they were in fact foam -- very useful if you have the alluring affliction of asthma such as myself. The room was utterly spotless as well.

The breakfasts can only be described as amazing. I ate so much from the massive banquet that I didn't need lunch on either day. As this was included in my room rate, this saved me a bit of money.

I had one of the best dinners of my life in the hotel restaurant as well, and discovered Viennese wine! If you are a fan of red wine, you must try it. Ask the hotel restaurant staff for a recommendation.

The only negatives are that there is no free wireless in the rooms, and no iron. I can live with wrinkled clothes, but if you're there on business as I was, having to go down to a desk by reception at 10pm to prepare for meetings the next day is a bit inconvenient. For this reason alone I give the Kummer Hotel four instead of five stars. If the in-room internet is not an issue for you and you love museums, good sleep and wonderful food and wine, then you will find this hotel is perfectly suited.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and I would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lady_Rhubarb

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback about your stay.

We are of course very delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Kummer and that standards and service in all areas were as you expected.

In regards to free internet access for our clients, we offer this service now in all public areas of the hotel and are looking into ways to further improve this service in the guest rooms.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at Kummer Hotel for 3 nights(11.08.2012-14.08.2012). The location of the hotel is just marvelous, in the centre of the city, (the hotel is located right in the middle of Mariahilfer Strasse), subway station is a few steps away. The building is impressive, very well renovated, it was a pleasure to stay there.
The room, a bit dated (1990's), had a really comfortable bed though. We stayed in a room facing the crossing. We thought it might be loud at night, but we did not hear any street noise - good window isolation.
Excellent breakfast - a lot of choice (fruit, yoghurt, scrambled egg, ham, cheeses, selection of Austrian/German style bread, jam, pates.)
But the most unexpected problem was the lack of internet access. In hotel Kummer you have to pay (22 euro for 24 hour ), or use the free 30 minutes of very slow connection in the lobby.
We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will surely come back.

Room Tip: if you're not travelling with family or friends avoid the rooms that have a common door. you wil...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sevenro R
Kraber, Ladislaus E. Batthyány, General Manager at Hotel Kummer, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of your stay.
We are delighted that you seemed to have been satisfied with quality and level of our Service. Considering free internet access for our clients we are continuously looking for ways to further improve this Service also in our guest rooms.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was in the Kummer Hotel with my boyfriend for Christmas 2010. We got there on christmas eve in the evening and ask in the reception for somewhere to have dinner. The receptionist couldn't care less. Guests from Dubai arrived at the hotel at the same time and also asked the receptionist where they could have dinner. The receptionist turned the computer screen from the reception to the guest and told him to look for a restaurant on the internet himself! How sad. Very unfriendly and unhelpful staff at reception at all times.
The room was lovely, the atmosphere was very romantic and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the room SEEMED clean as well, but under the bed there was a can of coke and a coin. How could the cleaning ladies miss that?!
Breakfast was great. Great variety of food!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kraber, on behalf of Ladislaus Batthyány, General Manager at Hotel Kummer, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback regarding your stay at the Hotel Kummer during Christmastime 2010.
We are happy, that you liked our comfortable room and enjoyed the romantic atmosphere at the Hotel Kummer.
Of course I want to apologize profusely for the level of "attention" you were given at the reception. It goes without saying that this is not the level of standard and service, we are used to provide to our valued hotel guests.
As two years passed, since you stayed with us, I can assure you that the current Front Office team takes customer care very serious and something like you experienced, could not happen again.
I would be delighted, if you could contact myself personally prior to your next stay in Vienna and you will surely be pleasantly surprised during your next stay.

Ladislaus E. Batthyány, General Manager

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel. I stayed here for one night with colleagues and was consistently impressed by the building, facilities, food and helpfulness of the staff.

The room itself was spacious, clean and well appointed and the breakfast perfect. The best thing about this hotel is undoubtedly the staff, who could not have made us feel more welcome. All staff that we dealt with were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Andy N
Kraber, for Ladislaus E. Batthyány, General Manager at Hotel Kummer, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel Kummer.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Kummer and that our standard and service was as you expected it to be.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at Kummer Hotel for 3 nights.
Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The only downside was the shower area that was too small comparing to the whole bathroom size.
We arrived close to lunch time and was recommended by the manager to have lunch at their restaurant. We were a bit reluctant, but accepted his recommendation and must say that it was the right decision. The food was very nice with a good price and saved our time to have to find somewhere to eat, when we were hungry and tired after a long journey.
Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of breads, fresh fruits and a delicious strong coffee (the best one I have had in a Hotel for ages).
Staff was polite and efficient.
Location was very convenient with an underground station just in front of the hotel and very nice shops around. It is also close to the center and good for people taking the train to Salzburg as the train station is just 2 stops from the hotel.
I would definetly stay in this hotel again if I visit the beautiful Vienna again in the future.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experience with us.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations.
We would be delighted to show you another of our many different rooms the next time, where the bathroom is also laid out differently.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon please do not hesitate to contact myself personally.

Ladislaus E. Batthyány, General Manager, Hotel Kummer

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel was recommended by a colleague and was all we could ask for. The Staff were helpful, room was a good size and kept beautifully clean. Breakfast was brilliant. The hotel itself was right on top of a metro station, as well as being on the main shopping street, so was brilliantly located for getting around the city.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple