“Disappointment... how come it is 5 stars?”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #101 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed February 26, 2013

To start with some positives, the location of the hotel is OK, just in Schottenring, which is approximately 15-minutes walk from the most important places in Vienna. However, this was the only positive impression I had.
This is officially 5* hotel, but what I experienced felt like a 3*-standard in Poland. First, this hotel is simply old and outdated and desperately needs renovation (e.g. TV set in my room could well be placed in a museum of the 80ies). Then, service & quality: having booked a non-smoking room, I was given a room that resembled a smokers' lounge in an airport (you know those glass cages filled with people & smoke?). Everything smelled with cigarettes, so I asked for the room to be changed. After a long time at the reception desk, I was given the smallest room I have ever seen in a 5* hotel. But there was a bed, so I wasn't complaining... soon it turned out that the the room was overlooking Schottenring and that the windows were manufactured in times, when nobody knew the word "soundproof". This room was awfully noisy.
I guess this is enough to ruin a weekend stay in a 5-star hotel. So just add an incredibly small breakfast area, which was so overcrowded that I had to wait for a table and people were queueing to get food from the trays... half of which were empty. Add the waiter in the hotel restaurant (called No. 3), who looked offended that I ruined her evening, being blunt enough to order a glass of wine. And add the driver of the hotel limousine, who took me to the airport, thinking he is Michael Schumacher and Vienna streets are like Monza circuit.
Never again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TheButterflyEffect75
Kraber, Kraber, on behalf of Michael Pohn, General Manager at Hotel de France at Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest!

Thank you for your feedback.

The Hotel de France was switched to a complete non-smoking hotel but we needed to change a lot of the furniture and other things in the past smokingrooms. The change took time, because some of our classical furniture had to be renovated. I am very sorry, that one of the last rooms to be cleaned from all that smoking, gave you that experience.

I would be pleased, if you would give us another chance to prove, that our service and our rooms improved and the team and I can give you a much better experience of the Viennese hospitality.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Michael Pohn
Hotel de France

Write a ReviewReviews (1,647)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Last stop of my Europe trip was Vienna - Hotel de France is extremely central to public transport and infamous ring rd... All the well noted architectural attractions are in walking distance...
I found the hotel to have an old world feeling which I loved !! The stairwell is a marble and has beautiful artwork all the way up. The rooms are spacious and very well kept. The staff were particularly helpful & the breakfast is really nice - quite extensive as well as salmon, cheeses and champagne :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank trish S
Kraber, on behalf of Michael Pohn, General Manager at Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your positive impressions. Hopefully you will return to Vienna and the Hotel de France. We are looking forward to welcome you soon again.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel has a very central location on the Ring road in downtown Vienna. Together with very large and spacious rooms, this seems to be the only positive thing that can be said about this hotel.

Major problem with Hotel de France is that it is urgently in a need of a major overhaul. Furniture is used, stains are noticeable every where - from curtains to walls, to bathroom tiles. In my bathroom one could even notice the difference in color between the replaced tiles and the old ones, which looked like a chaotic patchwork on the bathroom wall, This is just below any standards.

Within the same price range which I was charged (180 EUR a night) one can find far better hotels with same or even better location in Vienna. (if you like full service chain hotels - try places like Steigenberger, HIlton, Marriott or if you prefer boutique hotels try Topazz or Lamee. And there are MANY more)

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dBogda
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Myself and my Husband have just returned form Vienna 1st to 4th Feb 2013 the hotel is a lovely old building with fab features the rooms are very spacious and we found them to be very warm, it would be nice to see more English speaking channels on the TV as they are all news, the shower head is positioned in the centre of the wall and water goes everywhere...we found all the staff very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great so much selection...the hotel is also in a great location walking distance to the museums etc...I would not give the Hotel a 5star....

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra49_11
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the beginning of December 2012. Location is great for walking around Vienna, particularly in terms of reaching the Hofburg Palace and museum area. It is also right next to a metro stop if you want to take public transport. Rooms were clean, but you could definitely tell that it was an older hotel - wifi was not great, furnishings are a little old, and the bathroom shower head was placed strangely (difficult to take a shower without getting water everywhere). However, the bed was comfortable and large and the breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and accommodating with the exception of the porter who seemed a little surly, but maybe it was just a bad day for him! We were very comfortable at this hotel and I would recommend it - I just would not agree that it is a 5 star hotel.

1  Thank jessieclaire
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel De France 17th of December 2012 hotel is in an excellent location with all the sights within walking distance. Staff were brilliant and welcoming third visit to Vienna this Hotel was the best better than Hilton Stadtpark recommend a value for money stay.

Room Tip: High floor very large.
3  Thank Saggart
Kraber, for Michael Pohn, General Manager at Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about your stay at the Hotel de France. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Location pretty good, close to Rathouse (Vienna City Hall), few steps away from Schottentor metro station.
Clean like a in a 5 stars hotel, but not perfect.
Staff - except from Miss Marianne Hofbauer they did not make an impression. Their English was average and information and proficiency the same. Only Miss Hofbauer was a really professional 5 stars hotel receptionist.
Breakfast - awesome, with many interesting options, for any taste or type. Healthy, fresh and deli, served until the last moment of the breakfast time, by lots of very helpful waiters. The only observation regarding the breakfast – the dining room was not properly heated. Especially at the tables close to the windows were pretty cold.
Room was big and nice, and bed was comfortable, but the pillows were way too soft. Bathroom was also big and equipped with everything except for the bidet and a stool that would have been at hand though.
We asked from the reservation email a double bed room, as all were in their photos from their website, but when we got there they gave us a room with two separate beds. We had to go back and ask them to change, which they did a bit reluctantly.
We were two and notified the receptionist that there were no slippers and she asked us if we want a pair or two, question that I must confess I did not understand.
As for the heating…this was an adventure. We ask the same receptionist how we can adjust the heating (it was cold in the room) and she said that it is under the window. Under the window was nothing! Eventually we found the heating adjuster, hidden behind a wooden cover and pretty difficult to reach. We managed though, but not thanks to the hotel staff.
The only two things to complain about were: the main door lock – it was rather impossible to close the main door without a bang, a pretty big noise, disturbing the other customers. And the cleaning people seemed to care even less about this. And the second, one day we hanged the sign Please do not disturb and after a while, the bellboy called us on the phone to ask when we will leave the room, waking us up. Since someone is asking you to not disturb, why would you call him and wake him up? Definitely this was not a 5 stars hotel approach. Very disappointing!
All in all, everything in the hotel worked as a Swiss watch and was clean, neat and comfortable. If your hearing is not so sensitive, I belive you can choose this hotel and not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kraber, on behalf of Michael Pohn, General Manager at Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I want to thank you for your detailed feedback. I really have liked to read all your comments. The most I appreciate your comments about Marianne Hofbauer, who was thrilled to read that you have remembered her positive can-do attitude.

I regret that you had to face and overcome some –let’s call it - minor challenges and I personally will place the service attitude of our Front Office staff a main focus of our next meetings and training sessions.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon,