“An ideal base for the sights of Vienna”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #104 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Before I went to Vienna for New Year I was nervous about my hotel booking because there had been a few bad reviews about the rooms and the unfriendly staff. However, the people that gave those reviews must be the sort that complain about anything. The rooms are fine, the breakfast is excellent and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The location is perfect with a Metro almost right outside and all of the main attractions are within walking distance. I will certainly return there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are fine.
2  Thank Antalyaman
Kraber, on behalf of Michael Pohn, General Manager at Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

What more is there to say than thank you so much for your comment.
Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Best personal regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great hotel in Vienna. Conveniently located on the ring road in downtown Vienna so it was walking distance to all the museums and the main shopping streets of the old city. The hotel had nice large rooms, valet parking in a garage. Complementary internet access, speed was marginal. Concierge was nice and friendly and they made arrangements for us to go and see a classical music concert. Conveniently located next to a major metro station so travelling was easy. Nice bar and restaurant and great breakfast buffet.

2  Thank Ashwath
Kraber, for Michael Pohn, General Manager at Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your short and concise feedback, which we highly appreciate.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Good hotel - yes the furnishings are a little dated but I thought it had great character. Everything is clean as a whistle and the rooms had big high ceilings. Great sized rooms. In a good location right near the shopping precinct and about 1 minute walk from the metro station. The toilet is absolutely bizarre! Haha! Definitely not enough to put you off staying there. We had a great time. One negative I will comment on is the wifi. It is just terrible. Slow, and kicks you off all the time. Plus, the front desk gives you a voucher that lasts for 24 hours, then you need to get a new one. If you are travelling on business and need a good wifi connection, this is not the hotel for you.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for giving us feedback about your stay at Hotel de France.

I am very pleased to read your positive comments and like to thank you for your feedback.
At the same time I should like to point out that we do provide faster internet connection as well, at costs.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel de France in the future again.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The location of the hotel is very very good, just 10 minits on foot to St.Stephan, next door to Votivkirchen and Rathaus. The room was of medium size and medium comfort, and a bit stuffy. The staff attitude towards their work differs: the receptionist who checked us in was just formal, but the other one, when we asked for changing the room, was vey friendly and helpful; the clearing service on the 1st day was poor, but on the 2nd and 3rd days it was perfect. The Internet (both wared and Wi-Fi) worked a bit slow.

Room Tip: Rooms of equal type differ with size, geometry, set of facilities etc. If it is possible, examine se...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the city centre location. Nevertheless I regret the different service attitude of the Front Office staff and will especially focus on this issue during our next trainings.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at this beautiful hotel and it was a great experience! The hotel is very well located, it took about 5 minutes walking to come to the Rathaus. Although we have booked a basic room type (Superior), we were well surprised by its spaciousness. The room itself had everything we could possibly need. The only little complaint would be about the speed of the wireless internet connection. But it worked well, so not a big deal at all.
We have also tried the "No.3" restaurant for a dinner. The food was great and the prices are reasonable. The hotel also has a sushi bar which I heard is one of the best in Vienna, unforatunately we did not find enough time to try it out.
The staff at the front desk, as well as in the restaurant and the bar, are true professionals in each and every way. Nothing is too much trouble and every question and request is being dealed with a smile.
I already know where to stay on my next trip to Vienna.

2  Thank JanMika

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for giving us such a positive feedback!

I am thrilled to read about your impressions at the Hotel de France and will of course share your comments with the Front Office staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

It was very nice, the staff, the breakfast and you could walk to central Wiena! Nothing wrong about the Hotel
The staf helped when we asked for help. Very easy to get a Taxi or othet transportation manly because it was very close to the University..

Room Tip: The roo, for us was perfect!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The location was very good and central, room was ok too albeit a little old. The worst part of the experience was no doubt the internet. The hotel subscribes to this service called Swisscom, and everyday you have to obtain a piece of paper containing the user login name and password for EACH device. I had 4 devices with my wife so everyday we needed to collect 4 pieces of paper. As if these trouble was not enough, the internet was agonisingly slow (takes more than 5 mins just to load Google Map website), and had a daily download limit of 200mb and upload limit of 50mb. Absolutely lousy experience.

That's not all, yesterday I returned to my room and realised my phone charger was missing. After complaining to the front desk, a lady came to my room later and returned me the charger. The explanation was that when the chambermaid came to clean my room, she saw that the lights were somehow not working, so she got an electrician to come, and that guy conveniently took my charger away, wanting to see whether it caused the short circuit. Of course, he forgot to return the charger to the room after testing it. I found this explanation amusingly ridiculous. The problem was the electrician felt it was ok to just take my charger like that!

What an experience.