“Good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Sapporo
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Just spent two nights at the Mercure Wien Zentrum. Excellent location with easy access to most things people will want to see. My room, 207 was stylish and comfortable. Traveling alone it's fine, but I don't like the fogged glass bathroom door with a hole for opening and shutting the door. If you're with someone else it would be pretty hard for them not to see when you're on the toilet. On the plus side, I like the ceiling shower head. Downstairs, Breakfast had a very good selection. And the hotel is about 2 blocks from the airport bus stop, another plus. Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Elena Covelli K, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Mercure Wien Zentrum, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for taking some time and writing us a review on Tripadvisor!
I am glad you had a comfortable stay with us and you could enjoy the fabolous location of the hotel!
Please be assured, that we also have rooms with wooden doors for the bathroom, which guarantee the privacy needed! It will be a pleasure for us to show them to you in occasion of your next visit in Vienna!

Best greetings from blooming Vienna!

Guest Relation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Before I start my review, let just state that the location of the Hotel is excellent and the staff working there are absolutely great!

The first positive impression of the hotel came before we even arrived in Vienna, when I contacted them via email to confirm my booking (was done through AMEX Travel) and request a car to pick us from the airport. Communication was flawless and very fast, within an hour I had a reply. The highlight on their service though, was the following: I had booked through Amex Travel a non-refundable room but an unfortunate death in the family forced me to cancel my initial booking. The hotel accepted the cancellation (as I said the room was NON-refundable!) and the staff was very understanding and did their best to find me another room in the new dates.

As for the hotel, its location is excellent! You are 5’ walking to St. Stephan Cathedral and within walking distance to all major museums and sightseeing places as well as a metro station. I cannot think of a better area to stay, if you want to see Vienna on foot or by bicycle. Of course there are many other hotels in the same area, but they are much more expensive (like 2 or 3 times more). For me and my wife, location is paramount when you visit other cities for just a few days, since you do not want to spend your days commuting. We highly recommend to rent city bikes (http://www.citybikewien.at/, public bicycles, very affordable and convenient since you drop them in any station and pick them up later) and tour the city. In addition, the street is very quite. I did see 2 clubs opposite the hotel, but they were closed (I do not know why, since we stayed on the last weekend of April ), so no noise from there.

The personnel of the hotel are extremely helpful and polite. Probably the best asset of the hotel (along with its location)! Everyone in the reception was friendly and very willing to answer all our questions (no matter the time) and provide us with all the help we needed. If you stay there, just let the staff in the reception know that you want and they will take care of it. The people working in the restaurant have the same helpful and polite attitude. A BIG thank you, to all the staff!

We stayed in a standard room, which is well appointed although a bit small. We did not mind, since we spent most of the day outside, wandering around Vienna. However, if you require more space, then maybe you should think of upgrading to a privilege room. The room has all the standard amenities, a safe and also free Wi-Fi is offered throughout the hotel. The room was clean and tidy. In addition, if you want to print something (like your boarding pass if you check online), you can use the PC’s in the lobby which have a printer connected to them and everything is free of charge.

On with the breakfast, which is very good. They offer a big variety of cheese and cold cuts (which are excellent quality and taste), a huge variety of bread and all the standard things, like cereals (big variety), yoghurt etc. Also, there is a nice selection of fresh fruits and fresh fruit salads. On the hot side, you can chose between boiled or scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes and beans. Lastly, there is a selection of pastries and all are very good (absolutely loved the apple cake). Coffee is really good (they bring you a sizable pot for 2 people) and tea selection is quite extensive.

Concluding, I highly recommend Mercure Wien Zentrum. The location is perfect, the personnel are excellent and everything else is very good. For us, was an ideal hotel to stay and spend most of the day around Vienna. If you want all of the above, at a reasonable price then look no further! But If you want something more romantic and a room that you will spend most of the day in, then you should check other hotels, not so central. We will definitely visit Vienna again and surely we will stay at Mercure Zentrum again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fanis M
Dear Fanis M,

you left us all speechless with your great feedback: a BIG thank you to you, for appreciating our effort to provide every guest the best service!
I am sure that your detailed review will help a lot of travellers willing to visit Vienna and our hotel!
Thank you very much again from all the Staff: we look forward welcoming you again in Mercure Wien Zentrum!
All the best,

Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed there for 7 nights. Overall it was really nice. Location is beyond perfect. Near hotel is McDonalds, interspar store (or Billa,I'm not sure) bars and restaurants, drugstore... All important metro lines are in 5 minutes walk distance. Breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular but for everyones taste. From all sorts of muesslis to fresh juices. it's never croweded so you can eat in peace :)

Rooms are ok.They are new, big beds, we had a large desk in our room so we could work or put our laptops....The problem was this weird bathroom door. I don't really know how is possible that this kind of hotel has such tranparent doors. they from some type of glass, without a lock,only with big hole and you couldn't shut them properly. So basiclly, it's was like we didn't have door at all.No privacy, you could hear everything. It's not so pleasent if you're with your spouse, and it's even more problematic if you're staying with your bussiness partner you don't know very well. Other than that, bathroom was beautiful, neat and clean, big shower....

so, if you're going alone, I recommend it. Also if you're a person who doesnt mind if you have audience when you're showering or doing some "other" stuff :))

overall it was a pleasant stay :))

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,
I am really glad to read your comment about your recent stay at Mercure Wien Zentrum and to know that you spent overall a good time with us.
I would like to thank you also for sharing your concerns about the bathroom door. We have in the hotel different kind of rooms, also with wooden doors and and with locks: something for every taste! It is a pity that we didn't know you felt uncomfortable with the one made of glass!
We will be happy to show them to you by your next visit here.
Best regards from from sunny Vienna,

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in June 2012 for 5 nights.
The hotel is at a great location. Lots of late night restaurants and merely a 3 mins walk to stefansplatz and 2 mins walk to the nearest metro station (schwedenplatz station). Other than the location was great, nothing else.
As a accor silver member, this was the worse mercure hotel I ever stayed! Really disappointed to the max!
1st: The floor of our room was going thru some renovation at the corridor, i guess that was the reason why the aircon was not cold even after I had adjusted it to the lowest temp. Without any choice, we have to leave the window opened at night for the cool air to flow in. as vienna's building are relatively closed to each other and any one who speak at a normal tone/ level will sound really loud with the echo at night. So you can imagine the centralise location with lots of late night eateries and pubs, and lots of drunkards hanging around along the street shouting and laughing to the wee hours of the morning. Horrendous!!! I felt like throwing the chair down at them!
2nd: the bathroom are so tiny, and the shower has only a tiny partition between the wet and dry area. without further details from me, you can imagine how wet the bathroom was after each shower.
3rd: no prober storage and really tiny wardrobe. no electronic safe in a mercure hotel??!! that was Kidding me!!
4th: cleanliness was poor poor poor... found a layer of dust on the table and head of bed.
5th: tiny place for breakfast. food items ran out fast with no replacement. Have to eat at a table that was not properly clean up after the previous guest.

If you have decided to stay at this hotel even after reading what I mentioned, you're only paying a high price for the location. Dont expect anything from this mercure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Elena Covelli K, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Mercure Wien Zentrum, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to describe your experience during your stay with us one year ago.
We are very sorry about the inconvenience described!
Unfortunately the renovation of our air conditioning was delayed and had to take place in June 2012. The works were finished end of June 2012 and since that we are very glad to offer an excellent air condition system, which can be regulated individually, to our guests.
Of course all our rooms are equipped with electronic safes (laptop safe), we are sorry that you did not find it.
Dear guest, please be assured, that cleanliness and hygiene are high priority to us and are regularly checked by quality controls of the Mercure chain.
Your experience do not correspondent to our normal quality standards, we are very sorry about that.
It would be a real pleasure to have the chance to welcome you again and to convince you from our high quality standards.
Best regards from Vienna

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here during the Vienna Marathon and were very happy with our visit. The location is a great base for getting around the city, you're close to two metro stations and the main shopping district. There are plenty of restaurants and sights within walking distance, great for hobbling around after our race. The room was comfortable and well maintained and the staff was quite helpful. Overall good value, would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Meena L,
thanks so much for leaving a comment about your recent stay with us!
I am happy to read that you took advantage of our perfect location and even happier to read that you would choose us again for your next stay in Vienna!
I am looking forward welcoming you again in Mercure Wien Zentrum.
Best wishes

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you are looking for great location and friendly service the Mercure Hotel Wien Zentrum is the place to stay in Vienna. It is a short stroll away from all of Vienna's superb attractions, including the beautiful shopping areas of Graben and Kohlstrasse.

The rooms (in the newer hotel where we stayed) are small and clean, but somewhat poorly designed. It seems that in the effort to be "avant garde" the designer forgot about sufficient space for storage of clothing and sufficient lighting (i.e. for putting on make-up).

The service at the front desk is genuine, thoughtful and helpful. So, coupling location and service the Mercure is a good short stay hotel in Vienna. The rooms are more akin to a three-star than the rating of a four-star hotel, but the location is its saviour.

Thank you Mercure Zentrum.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am really glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you very much for writing about your experience on Tripadvisor!
Your satisfaction is the best motivation for our staff and I will be happy to share your words with my colleagues!
Thanks a lot also for your feedback about the room: I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in Mercure Wien Zentrum and show you the elegant style of our Classic Rooms which might be more of your taste!

Best regards from sunny Vienna,

Gunnedah, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel the check in was fast and pleasant. We arrived in our room to be surprised with a large modern room, and a rubber duckie sitting in the shower cubical. A very cute touch.

Hotel is 20 m from food locations, supermarket and 100 m from the nearest metro station, Schwedenplatz (U1 line)
Hotel has free wifi, and you only have to input a password 1x every 24 hrs. Others need it every time you use the internet.

Beds very comfortable.

Excellent location, great room and pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NeilC2607
Elena Covelli K, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Wien Zentrum, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

thanks so much for your review! I am sure our duckie will have a great time in Australia!
It put a big smile upon our faces to know that we could make your stay an excellent one!
We all hope to welcome you again in the next future.

All the best from sunny Vienna!