“Great hotel”

Ranked #7 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great hotel”
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel... Very centrally located. Loved the Sacher cakes.. Great rooms and also seen soom of the suite rooms.. Modern hotel in a historic building with great helpful team.. One of the luxury hotels. Visited by who's who list..

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Hotel Sacher is an experience in itself. It is situated right in the heart of the city, walking distance from most of the main sights. It is oppulent and gracious and the service is impeccable. My room was not large, but was very comfortable and the bathroom was warm and well fitted. Room service was excellent and I enjoyed a delicious lunch and dinner. Breakfast was served in a very grand room hung with chandaliers and was quite superb. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to see Vienna in style.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Guinivere_12
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed November 22, 2012

i was shocked with this place: great rooms with great view (especially last floor! with balcony!), great decoration and super-puper tasty cakes!! they give them as a present!!!!
in the shp (which is by the way in the same building) they are quite expensive, but it worth tasting and worth spending money!
and opera! only one step!!
the only one thing to improve - is smiles! while i was waiting on reception nobody asked me a word(((

Room Tip: book corner room on the last floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Katalina V
NYC
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Hotel Sacher is one of my favorite hotels in the world, in part because it is sui generis: unlike the Four Seasons or Ritz Carltons, which, beautiful and/or luxurious as they can be, feel as if they could be located in any city in the world, the Sacher could only be in Vienna (and maybe Salzberg, but I've never been there...) We stayed there recently for five nights and the Sacher's whole is definitely more than the sum of its parts; our "top deluxe" room was luxurious and had a beautiful view of the Albertina, but was not particularly large; the spa is well-designed, but by no means uniquely beautiful; the gym is well-equipped, but small; the concierges were generally very helpful and friendly, but occasionally overtasked, resulting in longer waits than appropriate to recover the key to our room; the Rote Bar was a wonderful, cosseting apres opera venue for supper, but the food, while good, was by no means remarkable. Yet the wonderful public rooms - the lounge, which my daughter referred to as her living room, the Blue Bar, the Sacher cafe on the corner. the perfect location across from the opera house and hard by the Albertina and the main shopping pedestrian mall, and, above all, the ineffable sense that staying at the Sacher confers upon its guests honorary Viennese citizenship - all of these factors make the Sacher a near perfect hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank undertone
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very pleasant stay with view of the Opera House and perfectly soundproofed room. Excellent and helpful staff.
My only criticism of the room was that if you turned the bathroom light at night enough light escaped to wake my wife.
We eat in the Rote Bar Restaurant twice and the food was extremely good.
We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I booked a junior suite at the Sacher Hotel in Vienna for 4 nights as part of our European 25th Anniversary trip. During our stay, we used exclusively 5 star hotels in Switzerland, Austria and Italy, with one night in London. All of the hotels we used were members of the Leading Hotels of the World.

We checked into the Vienna Sacher right after leaving the Sacher in Salzburg (one of our best experiences ever!!). Check-in went smoothly and we were soon in our room, which was quite perfect. Upon entering our room, we found a gift Sacher Torte that was sent to us by friends in Philadelphia as an anniversary gift. There was also a card.

Later that evening, my friend emailed us to ask us how we liked the expensive champaign they had sent us. I was embarrassed to say that we did not get any champaign. When I contacted the front desk, they informed me that we did in fact get the champaign. I kindly explained that we did not. Instead of immediately remedying it, they told me we had to wait for the employee who was working that afternoon to come in so they could tell us what happened. I questioned why, and requested that regardless, I would like the champing sent up to my room. That request was ignored. I then went down to the front desk in person later that evening, and could not seem to get the issue resolved.

THE INSINUATION WAS THAT I WAS LYING!! Regardless, the right answer would have been, oh we are sorry, and get us the champaign immediately. Instead, the employee showed up and said they did delivery the champaign. I asked to speak with the manager. Now they sent up the assistant manager to talk to me, again empty handed. I explained again that my friend sent us the champaign, the hotel billed him for it, and we did not receive it. They asked if I was "sure". I told them, hey, you emptied the trash, you see the room, we did not get it. I also told them I was very uncomfortable with the situation. I had to beg them for a "anniversary gift" from our friends, and all along, they made me feel as if I was doing something wrong. Finally, they delivered the champaign, but by then, it felt horrible. At the end of the day, we were spending over $4000 at their hotel, and felt as if we were being accused of trying to cheat them out of a couple hundred dollar bottle of champaign.

Other than that, the hotel was just OK, not great, compared to the other hotels we stayed at during our trip. While the location of the Sacher is second to none, the building is in need of attention, especially the lobby area. Most of the first floor is non-smoking, but the one area that is smoking permeates the smell of old smoke throughout.

You always have to wait for the concierge, and we were never successful in getting served in the lobby for cocktails. They seem to be slightly understaffed and undertrained, which is a shame given their reputation. Don't get me wrong, it is still an experience to stay there, but all in all, I would think you can do better for the money in Vienna.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Ronald R
SacherVienna, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Sacher Wien, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I am deeply sorry about your disappointment because of our internal miscommunication. By no means our staff wanted to insinuate your comments which have been all valid. We fully understand your frustration especially if you are travelling for an Anniversary Trip and your friends wanted to send you their special presents.

I would be very grateful if you consider giving us another opportunity to prove that we can do much better at the Hotel Sacher. Should you visit Vienna again in the future, please arrange your next reservation directly through my office so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

Reiner Heilmann
Managing Director
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Sacher is simply an institution, however, despite their rich history, they have never stopped investing into the place and it does not feel outdated by any means. The upper floors don't feel as dense and packed as the rather dark-coloured lobby would suggest. Everything seems neat and very well maintained.

The service is outstanding and the attention to detail is superb. My room (two nights at suite 417) was flawless and everything met or exceeded my expectations: from the quality of the bed to the window's sound insulation to the water fitting (it takes 2 seconds until you have hot water and the temperature remains stable - unlike other places where it takes a long time for the water to heat up).

If it's within your budget, stay at the Sacher - all the advantages will be worth the admittedly high price.

Room Tip: My room was 417 which is a junior suite. It is a corner room with three large windows overlooking bo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business