My expectations were lowered a bit on arrival when we were met with a bus full (about 60) teenage girls who were also checking in. Luckily, aside from the initial noise and congestion at check in, it was an overall quiet stay at the Wombat's Naschmarkt location.
- Excellent location. The Naschmarkt is just across the street and is home to hundreds (more?) of great food stalls and restaurants. The U-bahn is a quick walk (less than five minutes) away. It's an easy walk to Karlsplatz and other areas.
- Friendly and helpful staff. From offering restaurant suggestions to providing change for the laundry to having umbrellas available for rent, they seemed genuinely interested in helping newcomers to Vienna.
- The room - a Double Bed Private with ensuite - was very spacious. Huge windows that could be opened definitely helped. The shower was one of the best I had in Europe. (Just be sure to bring your own toiletries.) It was surprisingly quiet, as well. There's a mandatory quiet time of 10pm and while I never say anyone actually enforce it, I don't think there was a need to.
- The bed was very soft, pillows almost useless. Not very comfortable.
- The common areas were stifling hot.
- There's free WiFi but in the lounge only. The lounge took on an odd tech-zombie vibe. Everyone was sitting in the sweltering room, staring down at their devices and not interacting with each other. Trying to find a place to sit was often difficult.
- You can leave your luggage with the hostel after you checkout, but it's in one large room with everyone else's bags. The room itself is locked but once you get in there, you could theoretically take anyone's luggage.
- Hopefully a one-off, but the early morning fire alarms were startling. When we asked the staff what the problem was, it turns out "someone with a bad sense of humor" had pulled the alarm three times. There was no indication from staff at the time about whether it was really a fire, just a false alarm or something else entirely.
Not a bad stay, not a great stay. Maybe I'm just getting too old for hostels.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HostelWorld, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your wombats CITY HOSTEL Vienna “THE NASCHMARKT” reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.