“Thank God I tried this place..”

Cafe-Konditorei Aida
Ranked #45 of 110 Dessert in Vienna
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Everything is so mouth-watering here that we went there for both the days while in Vienna.Apple struddle,ham and cheese roll,another dish with boiled egg topped with Austrian cheese is so palatable..Just love Viennese food..

Reviewed March 22, 2013

After walking around Stephansplatz, my aunt (a long-time Vienna resident) and I decided to take a snack and rest a while. She says that while other cafes come and go, Aida is an institution. I figured that must mean something so we went into their branch nearest St. Stephen's Cathedral.

Their display of sweets, cakes and confectionery absolutely draws people in. What a lovely, lovely place. Additionally, it is a nice warm place to enter during a cold afternoon and it smelled delicious! Coffee and sweets--such a homey, homey feeling.

The problem with the downstairs shop in this branch is that there is always a line to buy sweets. There is never a time when there is nobody there. They apparently just introduced a new line of Krapfel (filled doughnuts) and that was probably the reason for the line. So my aunt and I decided to stay in the upstairs cafe. There were windows so it was still possible to people watch without freezing to death. There is an outdoors area for the weather-hardy. Upstairs, the service was fast. There were no lines and we could talk without shouting. It was also very, very pink.

I had the cremeschnitte and was not disappointed, a very good foil to coffee. It was quite filling so I was unable to try anything else that time. (I did come back the next day for krapfel.) Maybe it was designed that way--so that one would keep coming back to try something new. With the number of items on their menu, it would take more than 2 months of daily visits to try everything they have.

Being the institution that it is, definitely worth the visit.

aidavienna, Inhaber at Cafe-Konditorei Aida, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you very much for your excellent ranking, Aida wishes you "Happy Easter"!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Different types of krapfen, my favorite was the coconut one!

Really tasty sacher torte :D

The waitress didn't clean the table :/ and didn't speak English fluently.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were drawn into the Aida shop by the beautiful works of chocolate art in the window. Once inside the display case full of pastries convinced us to stay. We ordered a couple of chocolate treats and were not disappointed. My friend ordered the sachetorte and I had the krapfen...both were tasty!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

dont go for the "snob" value eat here the cakes are just a good and you get the feeling your eating with "real" people. Dont get me wrong the others are worth ONE visit but for everyday pick up , or just a seat and sugar high go here.