“Last minute decision not regretted......”
Review of Al Borgo

Al Borgo
Ranked #21 of 4,551 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: We are located in the first district of Vienna between St. Stephen's Cathedral and the city park. Our chef and his team prepare with passion and craftsmanship delicious Italian specialties. The fresh preparation of food is for us a matter of course, as well as a changing menu. Whether the evening by candlelight or sunlight during the day, we pay attention to your culinary convenience six days a week. In this special atmosphere, we complete comfort and modernity. All friends of Italian cuisine are well received at The Ristorante "Al Borgo". the kitchen is open for lunch till 2:30pm and for dinner till 11:00pm
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I work around the corner from Al Borgo but have never been there. Yesterday we wanted to celebrate my daughter's birthday and the restaurant I had originally planned on going to didn't meet my expectations when I went there at lunchtime to see it. Therefore I was looking for someplace close with good reviews. At 2 pm I made the reservation for five people at 6 pm. Since there weren't many diners yet the owner helped us make our selection and offered some dishes that were not on the menu. He also offered my daughter some vegetarian dishes that were also not on the menu. The first course was served and my daughter hadn't ordered anything, however the owner brought her roasted vegetables so she wouldn't have to watch us eat. The main dishes were also delicious and for the dessert they played Happy Birthday on the loudspeakers and served my daughter's dessert with a sparkler, even though we didn't mention we were celebrating (but there were presents). They also invited each of us for a glass of spumanti and after paying the bill the owner invited us for a farewell liquer. The atmospere is very nice, food excellent and around 7 pm the place really got busy.

Al_Borgo_Vienna, Inhaber at Al Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

we are very pleased that we were able to make your daughter's birthday perfect and you spent a nice evening with us

Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaurant due to the glowing reports on trip advisor and came away very disappointed.

We didn't receive a warm welcome and actually felt that if you were not a local you were just filling a table.

The soup starter we had was very average and the main course was way below the standard of food we have eaten in other Italian restaurants. The portion was a reasonable size and the sauce was delicious but there was a lack of it leaving the dish very dry. The dish was supposed to contain chicken but that amounted to about three tiny pieces. The roasted vegetables were wafer thin and consequently tasteless. Needless to say we did not stay for dessert. To add indult to injury we had to question our bill as we had been chsrged for someone elses main course.

4  Thank Julie183
Al_Borgo_Vienna, Inhaber at Al Borgo, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

we regret that we did not meet your taste

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is our 4th day in Vienna. We chose Al Borgo based on the reviews on tripadvisor. What a wonderful evening! Perfect gazpacho soup, as well as flawless pesce zuppa, Delicious penne, tomato and spicy sausage in cream sauce. Equal for my wife's tuna and pasta special. The banana tort with chocolate and raspberry was sublime. Service was beyond attentive, including the owner, Carlo, stopping by several times to make sure that our evening was unforgettable. Well spaced tables and relaxing music added to the the ambiance. Choose this restaurant and you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank John T

Dear John, thank you for this 5star rating and your kind words about our restaurant!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

You know you'll have a good meal when the restaurant is not filled with tourists. Al Bargo was about 50/50 the evening we were there. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. Most importantly, the food was delicious. Would definitely recommend this restaurant

1  Thank tammilip

thank you very much!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

On my recent trip to Vienna I was recommended to go to this restaurant. So I did! I took a friend of mine from Switzerland (originally Italian) and we were excited. Service was very attentive. My friend ordered a dry red wine and I probably got the best Aperol Spritz I ever had. Temperatures for both drinks were perfect and as we visited Vienna during a boiling hot time, I was happy to get drinks and some additional water perfectly on time. As a starter we had a tuna carpaccio and Spaghetti Mare. It was delicious. As for the main course we both had a fillet of beef with truffle sauce - medium as we wanted it. The salad was very fresh, the potatoes cooked right on spot.
I can only recommend this restaurant. I envy all locals to have this restaurant close by. If you feel like going to Italy - go there!

thank you very much for this wonderful review!