“Great value offering in the heart of Vienna”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Goldene Spinne

and 1 more site!
Goldene Spinne
Ranked #309 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great value offering in the heart of Vienna”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Golden Spinne is an unprepossessing building, it looks small and old from the outside. The rooms are nice and clean though, and the bathrooms are great (they have jacuzzi's) . There is WiFi in all the rooms. There is an average breakfast spread, nothing fancy, but enough to get your day going.

What really works for the hotel is the location. Many of the most popular historical monuments in Vienna are close by, some within walking distance. There is also good connectivity to the metro rail, and the airport line so you can get anywhere fairly quickly.

It also offers great value, there's not a lot of places in Vienna which will allow you this location at 60 euros a night.

All in all, a decent property with a great location, and good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank HushidarKharas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Athens
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The hotel is very near to the end of airport train line and you can reach the centre by foot in ten minutes walk inside a park!!! The jacuzi inside the bath had fun for us.The hotel stuff was very helpfull and the room was clean.I avoided the base floor rooms as the tram outside makes noise from early in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank papgia
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the Goldene Spinne early May of 2013 for a single night, my second night in Vienna. The previous night I stayed at a hotel further outside of town that was a little less expensive. The Godlene Spinne is next to some of the more upscale hotels, so I wonder if the people leaving very negative reviews had unrealistic expectations from a 3 star hotel.

First, I'm extremely sensitive to smoke. While I did notice a slight (very slight) dust or smoke odor, it did not trigger my allergies in anyway. I suspect during a small amount of time someone beneath or outside was smoking, but the irritation was slight and it only continued for a small amount of time. Room was small, as is common with Europe, but clean.

The staff was extremely helpful and nice. WiFi worked in the room and was brilliant. The hotel put network equipment on each floor to ensure each room has connectivity. When I inquired about parking they offered to rent me a permit for 4 euro a night - A STEAL. Can't recall the last time I paid so little to park. There was a 40 euro deposit for the permit, but it was returned once I returned the permit.

All in all I was very impressed with this 3 star hotel. My rating is excellent because for it's class the hotel is an excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask upfront for a nonsmoking room if that's important to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank freekboy
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is OK but don't get too excited by all the pictures as I assume this is just in one or two of the rooms. Our room was a pretty standard room but was really odd because the bathroom had a sliding door which was shared between the toilet and the shower (i.e. only one could be used at once) which was made of a frosted glass (so not completely opaque).

The room was clean but we had been allocated a smoking room so I'd check next time before unpacking. It wasn't too bad, just a musty smell.

The location is good - around 15minute walk to the centre through the park which was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_and_Catherine
Mumbai
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Goldene Spinne, or Golden Spider in English, is no place to stay for tourists! It is one of the few hotels that I have stayed in, which looks presentable from the outside, but is a rip off from the inside. Right from the time I checked-in, Goldene Spinne had been a disappointment, starting from the receptionist (owner) to the room quality to the service quality. As soon as I stepped into the room, the strong stench of dust greeted me. When I enquired about the same, I was told that the room had been cleaned just 30 minutes back. When I asked for the personnel so that it can be re-cleaned, I was told that all the staff had already left for the day (it was 7:00 pm local time). I requested for a room change, but was informed that no room was vacant, when clearly the receptionist dashboard showed 80% keys hanging from their room numbers. But yes, all tourists are outside, roaming the city, after having deposited the keys at the reception. Fair enough, I struggled through the night. Next disappointment stop was the breakfast, with virtually everything dumped onto a small table, which they had described as "a lavish inter-continental breakfast menu". I checked out 1 day earlier (I had a 2 night booking, at 82 euros a night fro a double bed-room) and went to Pentahotel, a much better place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank No-Questions-Asked

Travelers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Tokyo
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I am writing this in the hotel in which I am going to comment. I do agree that this hotel is clean and the staffs are nice. However, I was allocated in a room for smokers. My reservation confirmation email says nothing about the smoking preferences, as there was no section to choose. Nevertheless when I checked online confirmation, after noticing the smell, I noticed that my reservation was changed to "preferring smoking room". As I have a sort of allergy, I asked to change the room to the reception but there was no luck. I think the attitude quite unfavourable, and will ask them to cancell my stay for tomorrow for this reason.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank nycarter
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently spent four nights at this hotel. We chose it due to its keen prices and location close to the Wien Mitte station and its relative proximity to the Innere Stadt of Vienna. Take the S7 train from the airport rather than the CAT as this is only 4 Euros each way and stops within 150 metres of the hotel. Take the Stadtpark exit from the underground station, turn right at street level and the hotel is just across the road.
In truth, the hotel is quite basic but the staff were very helpful and the breakfast was adequate in the rather small breakfast area. When booking, I asked for a room overlooking Stadtpark and was delighted to get this. The views from our 4th floor room were excellent, particularly at night when the Stefansdom was floodlit across the park. The room was smallish but comfortable and the bathroom was large with a corner spa bath. The downside of our room with a view was that it also overlooked the railway and there was noise from this all day and for much of the night!
From the hotel we were able to walk to the main sights in Vienna, including the Cathedral, the Hofburg Palace, the Belvedere, Karlskirche, Opera and Naschmarkt.
Hotels close to railway stations can be rather seedy but this was not. In fact, its location between the Intercontinental and Hilton illustrates what a great position it had. There are not many restaurants in the immediate vicinity but you can pick up food from the Spar supermarket at the station where there are a number of places to eat there if you have not had your main meal during the day.
All in all, a good place to stay if you want excellent value for money. However, do watch out for vacuum cleaners which seem to be left close to stairways on each floor!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple