“Charming little hotel; excellent location, staff, and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pension Suzanne

Pension Suzanne
Ranked #62 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Dallas, Texas
“Charming little hotel; excellent location, staff, and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

I stayed 5 nights at the Pension Suzanne with my 13 year old son and we could not have been happier. The staff is super friendly and accomodating. (One guest was leaving before breakfast and I heard the manager volunteering to stock his room with orange juice and croissants and whatever else he needed so he wouldn't be hungry the next morning. The guest had to assure the manager that he couldn't possibly eat all the food that was offered so early.) The staff could not be nicer and more friendly, providing us with multiple maps (circling where we wanted to go), checking train schedules on the German language web sites for us, offering extra pots of coffee and chocolate at breakfast, and making no complaints when we lingered late over breakfast after sleeping in one morning.

Breakfast was so ample that we were literally stuffed each morning. On offer were soft/hard boiled eggs, sliced meats of various sorts, sliced cheeses, a good cheese plate of larger wedges and wheels, orange juice, 3 kinds of cereal/muesli, and various breads and rolls with jams, butter and a meat spread. (There was also an interesting pitcher of water with rocks in the bottom "for energy.") The breakfast room is very pleasantly decorated with large, comfortable chairs and equestrian prints.

Our room was on the 7th floor (#72). There was a sitting area beyond a locked door to the outside hall that our room shared with several others. (Of course, our room had it's own locked door.) Extra supplies were available in a wardrobe in the sitting area. Our room was charming and tastefully old-fashioned with two twin beds and a not-overly-large, but recently remodelled bathroom with shower, toilet, sink and ample shelf space. Closet space was adequate and the room was clean. The room faced the courtyard and was exceedingly quiet. The mattresses were medium firm and very comfortable with large, fairly thin pillows that could be folded over. We were provided with extra thick duvets in soft cotton covers. The room darkened nicely and we slept very well.

I'm not sure why another reviewer said the elevator only holds 1 person and suitcase. My son and I and our 2 rolling suitcases fit with plenty of room to let on an elderly man who joined us. There are a few stairs between the street and the elevator, however, if mobility is a problem.

The location of the Pension Suzanne is absolutely perfect: only 50m to the State Opera House and less than that to the pedestrian shopping street of Kartnerstrasse. The Hotel Sacher is visible from the Pension Suzanne as well. It's a short walk to the Karlsplatz U-Bahn station (which is well served with escalators and elevators. We ended up using it to go to Landstrasse station to catch the S7 train to the airport rather than taking a taxi due to rush hour. It was very easy, and cheap: only 5.80 euros for the two of us one way, my son's tickets being 1/2 price. All you need to do is buy 2 U-Bahn tickets for the trip to the airport. Just don't get on the more expensive CAT trains from Landstrasse.). The Stephansplatz U-Bahn station is also a reasonable walk down the Kartnerstrasse by St. Stephan's Cathedral.

The value for this hotel is very good. My final impression, though, is of the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. After patiently answering my last-minute questions about the logistics of getting to the airport, the manager and another man who worked there escorted us to the elevator to see us off, warmly wishing us a good trip and shaking hands. I would happily stay at the Pension Suzanne again.

• Liked — location, staff, value
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank tcut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2007

The Pension Suzanne is reasonable for a Vienna stay. We were a little disappointed however with the condition. The pension is worn; carpet, furnishings, and atmosphere can use a cleanup. Staff is responsive and location is good.

It all comes down to what you are looking for. We didn't feel the property's website accurately represents the condition. Unless some updates are in the works, consider their hotel star rating as trending down.

• Stayed October 2007
3 Thank tripsterMilwaukee
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

I just returned from ten nights at Pension Suzanne (single Room #18). Location was ideal. Heart of Vienna. Walking distance from museums, restaurants, top sites, trams and U-Bahn. My single room was compact with a comfortable bed and a modern bathroom. Room was clean. Buffet breakfast was fresh, delicious and plentiful. Owners and staff cheerful and helpful. There is free internet access in the office. Pension Suzanne is not for the traveler seeking deluxe, spiffy and glittery, but rather a traveler looking for old world charm.

• Liked — Made you feel at home, at ease and terrific location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank Purple18
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

This hotel is a great value. The price is very reasonable, the rooms are comfortable and the location, just around the corner from the Opera House, is perfect.

There are only two negatives with this hotel. The first is that the single elevator is very small and slow. It can only handle one person
and one suitcase at a time.

The bigger problem is that the foyers on each floor at totally dark at night. There are no lights at all! Not even security lights! When you step off the elevator on each floor you are met with total darkness. Finding the door to your room and getting your key into the lock are nearly impossible. We found it both dangerous and scary.

• Liked — tremendous location
  • Disliked — poor security- total lack of lighting in common areas
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank dangerFlorida
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

I stayed in Pension Suzanne for a week, and this is definitely
one of the best options to stay in Vienna. It is very close to
all the interesting places in the city (right next to Opera, metro).
My single room was reasonably large (and the bathroom
was almost as large as the room), clean, and very quiet.
Breakfast is included. The staff is very nice and helpful. I
will definitely stay here again if I come back.

Two things to keep in mind:
No internet access or wireless. There are a couple
of terminals in the office free to use. A starbucks next
door with T-Mobile connection.

Front desk is not 24-hour. My flight was very early in
the morning, and that made me nervous. They arranged
a cab for me in the morning, and the cab was waiting
for me when I got down a few minutes early.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank AnonEtal
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

I booked this hotel based on TA reviews. I was a little disappointed but I had a short stay in Vienna so overall it was fine. Had this been a longer stay I might have been less forgiving. FYI, the entryway requires you to climb 4 steps before reaching the elevator for your luggage. The hotel seems to take up a few floors in an office building. I was on the first floor of the hotel where the office manager and breakfast buffet was located. I stayed in a single room which was small and serviceable. Thin foam mattress, a down-like comforter, 1 pillow, TV (with CNN, BBC and MTV for English channels). The furnishing are shabby and I found the lightswitch plates to be very grubby as if one million people had touched them before without cleaning (literally brown gunk on the lightswitch on the lamp above the bed which had to be turned on because otherwise the room was very dark). The room had one window but it faced an alleyway. The bedding and bathroom appeared clean. The bathroom was actually HUGE compared to the room--a very odd layout. The main problem I had was with noise both from within the hotel and outside. There was some construction going on starting at 7am everyday and it was quite loud. I brought earplugs but the drilling sound from the construction was louder than that. It sounded like it was coming from inside the building but I'm not sure of the source. Also the minute the cleaning staff arrived in the hallways I could hear everything in my room. When other guests entered their rooms I could hear everything as well. It just was rather noisy overall(and this is coming from someone who lives in New York City). I had stayed at several other hotels on this trip that were notably quieter so this place stood out as really loud in comparison. Don't plan to sleep in here (and by that I mean past 7am).

The hotel desk was open from 7am-10pm. I asked for some restaurant recommendations but didn't get a lot of help from the front desk (granted I was asking for places that serve salads). The buffet for breakfast was fine: bread, meats, cheese, cereal, softboiled eggs, and coffee or tea. I do not believe there was any fresh fruit, nor yogurt.

It was centrally located and within walking distance of the major tourist sights. It was a bargain price-wise and certainly you will get your basic needs taken care of just without much charm. I felt safe. Had I not had the severe noise problems I would be more enthusiastic about Pension Suzanne as a budget accomodation in an extremely convenient location.

• Liked — Convenient Location
  • Disliked — NOISE! Some cleanliness issues.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank TallulahB
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

The main thing I want in a hotel abroad is a place to rest (sleep safely and comfortably) and refresh myself (shower or bath). The hotel is never my destination; it's just a place to touch a foot to the ground like Antaeus. If it also happens to be charming, tastefully appointed, well located, and staffed by friendly, interesting people, that's the cherry or icing on the cake.

The Pension Suzanne was all of those. Unprepossessing on the outside and in the first floor entry hall, on the inside it offered me a perfect room for my needs: attractive enough, big enough to include a chair by a window and a small writing table in addition to the armoire, but not so large that I rattled around or would have been tempted to try to host a party; clean, with no dust on the furniture or light fixtures or window sill.

The bed would have been small for a couple not used to sleeping entwined, but was perfect for me travelling alone. The bathroom was recently remodeled and perfectly clean. I noted the shower fixture as a possible model for the next remodel of my own house's bathroom at home (long overdue).

The staff were friendly and helpful. My German is limited, but they were happy to help me in English or in a mixture of the hostess's Croatian and my Czech. She had good advice for me about the time to get to the airport when I had to leave, either by taxi or by the metro trains, and was happy to recommend a place to get a glass of wine and sit and read or people-watch a while.

Breakfast was typical of breakfasts in the Czech and Slovak republics and elsewhere: a buffet (in a room with enough tables -- more than a couple of French hotels I recall) with mainly deli-sliced ham or sausage and cheese and bread. The morning I was there, they offered scrambled eggs instead of just the hard-boiled eggs I often found elsewhere.

The location can't be beat. It's only a block from the State Opera, and it's a great neighborhood. In essence, it's the location of the Sacher Hotel (that one), but at pension prices. I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants a convenient, comfortable, safe place to sleep and to change clothes during the day, but who is visiting _Vienna_, not their hotel.

P.S. I would recommend having a small keylight on your key-ring, in case you return near midnight, to let you see the outside hallway lock so you can get in. But that's something I always carry anyway. And I felt safe, knowing that the street entry used one key, with the computer-milled cones; the hallway entry used another key (standard American type), and the room required a third key.

• Liked — The location: perfect.
  • Disliked — The bed would have been small if I'd had a travelling companion. But then maybe I'd have been offered a different room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo