Mercure Secession Wien
$276
RitzCarlton.com
  • Pool
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $342/night.

$321
$177
$100
Official Site
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $114/night.

$229
$375
$277
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $311/night.

$283
$253
$109
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscafe museumgreat locationsecession buildingopera housefood marketkarlsplatz underground stationasked for a quiet roomwithin walking distanceprivilege roomsmall hotelhotel breakfastshort walkcity centrecomfortable hotelexplore viennalarge bathroomstreet noise
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I've stayed several times at the Mercure Secession, because I love visiting the Japanese stores and restaurants in the Naschmarkt area. However, I think my most recent visit was the last one.

The reason I will explore other hotels in the neighborhood is that the service and room quality at the Secession is extremely uneven. To start with, their "Standard double" room is anything but standard. Using this same label I've been put into tiny little rooms with barely any sunlight penetrating the windows all the way to luxurious rooms with a beautiful view. Of course there is going to be some variation in an old building such as this, but at the very least they should place the pictures for the smallest possible room that you may get. In actuality all pictures on the website and next to the hotel entrance are showing the biggest "standard double" room that I've been put in. A better solution would be to make these rooms into different price tiers, so customers can know what they are getting in advance.

The staff is similarly variable, some of them are kind, helpful, knowledgeable and speak great English, while others are the exact opposite.

Free wifi is included with the rooms, but this also comes with a huge caveat. There is no wifi reception in many of the rooms, and even if there is reception, many devices cannot connect to the Hotel wifi (I'm not sure why, I've never seen this problem with other wifi hotspots). Also, you need to go through a log-in page to use the wifi, using a code provided at the reception. The log-in expires after 5 minutes of inactivity, so each time you pull out your phone, you will have to log-in again. Also, due to this time-out, push-based services such as iMessage, Skype, etc. do not work on the Hotel wifi unless you are actively browsing the net when a message arrives.

If you are particularly lucky, your room is covered by one of the neighboring free wifi spots that work a lot better than the Hotel's antiquated service.

The hotel shows many other small signs of management failure as well, for example during our last visit, out of the 3 elevators (2 service + 1 guest) only one (a service elevator) was running. One other time they first forgot to provide the requested baby cot, then provided one that was broken, but eventually they came up with a working one after some investigation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kerecsen
Elisabeth D, Manager at Mercure Secession Wien, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear guest,
thank you very much for taking the time to describe your impressions regarding your stay at our hotel. First of all, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences described.
Your comments are highly valuable to us to constantly improve the quality of our service.
Please be assured, that an excellent treatment of our guests is first priority to us.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was in Vienna on work, and asked for a quiet room, and was given a single with a bed almost as narrow as a cot -- but the next morning when I asked whether they might have something larger, I was pleasantly surprised when I was given a corner room (almost a suite) overlooking beautiful sights of this culture-rich city.
Breakfast was very nice, and cozy. I liked the touches in this hotel, including the fact that there was downstairs outdoor seating in a courtyard. Agree the wifi could have been better.
Staff were terrific, from giving directions, to storing luggage. I highly recommend this hotel as it's within walking distance of ALL the main monuments, museums, and very easy to reach from the Airport. Just take the CAT and then the U4 from he central station. I would return again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room (330) on the 3rd floor and it was heavenly!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank worldtravelertrainer

Dear client,
we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with the entire team. Your feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The front desk staff was #1, extremely helpful. The location was great...market just down the street...walk the other way and in 5mins. You're at the museum quarter and up the street is shopping and food.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Tim H
Elisabeth D, Manager at Mercure Secession Wien, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Guest,
many thanks for posting your feed back after staying in our hotel.
Your comments are very helpful to improof our services and to learn more about our guest wishes.
It has been a pleasure to me to forward your comment to my staff. I am sure it will motivate them to go on hosting our guests with heart and professionalism.
We hope you had a nice trip home and we would be pleased to welcoming you again.
Best regards from Vienna

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Traveled as a family and we all found the hotel very good with excellent location. I am very thankful to all the staff as they make your holiday complete. We had a clean room with a comfortable bathroom (love the towels) and most important a very good A/C as it was very hot during our stay. They also have good brekfast. I recommend this hotel and look forward for my next stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank reviewer477
Elisabeth D, Manager at Mercure Secession Wien, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Guests,
many thanks for spending time on posting your comment. I am very happy to forward your feed back to my staff, it will encourage them to you on hosting our guest even more motivated.
Looking forward to welcome you again,
best regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth D, Manager at Mercure Secession Wien, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012