“Wonderful hotel”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #20 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I have been traveling to Vienna regularly now for 11 years and we always stay at the Bristol some of the rooms if you are staying at the busy time of the year can be a little noisy especially on the little side street side the garbage is collected very early in the morning and are they noisy.
But overall we love the hotel and it starts at the front door with Joseph the doorman he has been there for years he speaks many languages and is such a delight to speak with, then the book in desk clerks are so accommodating you have to remember this place is well over a hundred years old so it might be getting a little tired but you cant find its charm in to many hotels around the world, we just love it and its right in amongst everything.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the best rooms and we have stayed in the lesser rooms I don't think it matters...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear 'GregB'

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that you are a frequent guest to our property for many years already. As you may know we have rooms facing different sides of the building including our inner courtyard (which are the quietest ones). I also would like to thank you for commenting so nicely on my associates! We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My impression echo those of the recent reviews. This hotel is in a good building but sorely needs updating. Our room was very dusty - the dresser had dust on it, the remote control as well. It felt like no one had taken care of the place. The carpeting, wallpaper, etc, all need refreshing. I am not focusing on the style, which I can accept, but on the general condition of the room. We asked for a different room after one night, and while the reception seemed unhappy about it, they did change us to a higher floor with a view of the Opera. The room was a bit bigger. That said, the air conditioning did not work and too tired to switch rooms again, we left the balcony door open overnight.
Regarding service - it did not live up to what one expects from a Luxury Collection Hotel. The concierge seemed taken aback when I asked him to book a restaurant for me. He kept saying a table might not be available. Well of course I understood that. In the mornings when most people needed directions or help, the single concierge was always overwhelmed, and every time I've had 3-4 groups ahead of me. I also asked the concierge to book train tickets for me, and he quoted me 250 Euros, when the total tickets cost 100. I know there will be fees for the hotel's help but certainly not that much!
Restaurant - We only had breakfast there one morning, and from that experience it was not a particularly 5-star one. The breakfast room is beautiful, and food (buffet) was fine, but the service was poor. We were shown to a table, and after 10 minutes there was no service. We flagged someone down and when plates and saucers came they were 'dropped' onto the table causing loud clangs. It was more akin to eating at a street stall.
The hotel does have a great location but it has let its decor, upkeep and service slip.

2  Thank DeanSuprecian
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

WORKING CONSTANTLY ON IMPROVING OUR PRODUCT AND SERVICES

Dear 'Cynthia C'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. From your comments I understand that you were not particularly happy with your room and some of our services. Allow me to address your comments about your accommodation first: I regret that you seemed to have experienced a problem with the air conditioning unit in your room - please rest assured that we do regularly check all a/c units to ensure proper functioning - I do apologize that apparently that was not the case in your room. Regarding your comments about cleaning please note that we do put a very strong emphasize on cleanliness in the hotel - we have a very dedicated housekeeping team who I am sure will take this feedback very seriously. Regarding your comments about the concierge I will also share your details with the team – in particular I can assure you that any potential handling fees are being charged in a very transparent way - - allow me also to add that we do also get frequently very good feedback about the Concierge team members from a number of guests. Finally regarding your comment about the Restaurant service please note that we do put a strong focus on delivering the best possible service in this area at all times – I do apologize that you did not receive an experience that was up to your expectations. I would like to thank you again for sharing your feedback with us – it really helps us to improve our services. I hope that you will give us a second chance so that you can experience the real Bristol service that we are known for! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek – General Manager

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This is a grande dame of a hotel--big, beautiful rooms that would have been luxurious 30 (50?) years ago. We are SPG gold and were upgraded to a deluxe room, where we were welcomed with a lovely basket of fresh fruit. The room, however, was dark and strange, with chipped picture frames and worn furniture--not exactly a 5 star experience.

However, when we complained about the dark, old-fashioned room (it was long, narrow--quite like a cabin on a boat--truly strange), the lovely staff put us in a much brighter room with big windows facing the opera house. That room--complete with his and hers closets, double sinks, and a fireplace, was much, much better, but still very outdated. However, while we were staying at the hotel, we learned that a renovation is underway. (If you pop down to the 1st floor you can see the lovely art deco hallways that will accompany the new, contemporary rooms that will soon fill the hotel.) The service here is very good and the key system (you leave your "heavy key" in a jewel box style, satin-lined drawer behind the reception desk when you come and go), is absolutely charming. A great location, and a hotel that will be restored to magnificence once its renovation is complete.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I reserved a Penthouse Jr. Suite with Terrace for 550EU for four nights. I called the day before to reconfirm with the concierge. I was given room 657 with no other choices available. I would describe this room as an under-the-roof garret with a small balcony. The online home page of the Bristol was not an accurate description at all, bordering on false advertising, and gave a false impression of what one was buying sight unseen.

The carpet in this room looks like a bad hallucination from the sixties that never got cleaned up. It gives the room a very bad feeling but matches the brownish wall paper for overall gloom. At the end of the hall the room is next to the furnace for the hotel with constant noise and sounds of running and dripping water.

There are no windows except for the door leading to the balcony which means keeping the door open for air, which is not easy, as it is not set up for being kept open. I would have even been OK with all of this, since they could not change my room, if it had been advertised and priced properly. As it is I feel misused.

Other than this the food was inedible. The breakfast felt more like a cafeteria line than a five star hotel. Waiting in a long line for some bad eggs with plate in hand and no table service at all might be called a buffet . . . Dinner was just as bad with the grand finale of a chocolate dessert that was so badly imagined that it topped the bill of a bad meal. The wine however was quite good although the wine steward never appeared and after two tries I just ordered it without help.

With no spa or pool and a small work out room not much to comment about here except in its absence.

I used to stay in this hotel many years ago before it became a chain. The food was always good and it was just under the Sacher Hotel it's neighbor in terms of quality. Now it has fallen to the level of a mid-price motel. Not recommended. Get the cheapest room at the Sacher for a better experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank loveandpeace47

Dear 'loveandpeace47'

Thank you very much for having completed our guest questionnaire as well as for your honest feedback via TripAdvisor.

I was most concerned to learn about your disappointment during your recent stay with us and very much regret that we haven’t obviously had an opportunity to be of any help for you on the spot. I am very sorry to learn from your comments that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations. We have made a note that you did not like the room and would love to provide you with a different room type next time you would stay with us. Kindly note that besides regular ongoing refurbishing throughout the hotel and major renovation works in the past 2 years (banquet floor, restaurant, bar, lobby and 10 new rooms and suites) many new renovation plans are already under way. Furthermore I regretted to read that your overall restaurant experience was not to your satisfaction. You may rest assured that we have taken your feedback very seriously and that we will certainly take your comments into consideration for the future, as it is the goal of our team here at the Hotel Bristol that our guests feel as comfortable and happy as possible.

I sincerely hope that we will get another opportunity to change your recent negative impression into a positive one. We would feel more than honored to show you the very high level of quality and service for which we are usually known - for many decades, now. Please make your next reservation directly through my office, so I may assure you of my personal attention and please do not hesitate to contact me in case of any further questions.

With my best personal regards,
Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a grand old hotel in the best European traditions - however at $500+ plus per night it is a little shabby
Well located, it has all the trappings of a long gone era - room was a good size, with heavy drapes, large marble bathroom, comfortable bed - just had that feeling though, it had seen better times.
Public areas are grand, particularly the breakfast room
Couple of small nit picks - the breakfast croissants were not fresh and the tea ordered for room service came in a coffee pot so it tasted bad

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RabaulUSA
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear 'RabaulUSA'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. Allow me to mention that rates largely depend on the season you travel as well as the kind of room you chose. I would like to reiterate the fact that the Hotel has undergone some very extensive renovations concentrated on the public spaces including (but definitely not limited to) the breakfast restaurant - our all day dining 'Bristol Lounge'.
I regret that you did not find the croissants fresh - we do get daily delivery of all bakeries - I will look into this further - the same goes for the tea pot for room service - thank you for bringing it to our attention. We thank you for your patronage and your comments.
Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed May 27, 2014

In connection with the Europa Nostra Congress we stayed for five nights in Hotel Bristol. We had ordered limousine service from the airport and on arrival at the hotel we were friendly wellcomed and had a flawless checkin. Our room was very large comfortable and quiet. Every morning we had the most delicious breakfast with a lot of choices of meals. This is a very comfortable hotel with a fine service.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear 'Erik B'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read your comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Please visit us some time in the near future again! We would be delighted to welcome you back!
Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I am writing this review to share with everyone the excellent quality of our stay here in Vienna. The Bristol experience has been first rate. The check-in was easy. The assistant front-office manager, Benedikt, accommodated our desire for an upgraded room in a manner befitting a 5 star hotel. The entire staff, under his guidance, couldn't be nicer and any more professional. Concierge staff was spot on with their recommendations regarding restaurants and simple directions. Now the best news, we still have two more days to experience the Bristol way of doing things. I highly suggest the Bristol for your next stay in Vienna. And, no, I was not told what to write. This is a very honest review of a great hotel. Thank you, LW. Forgot to mention, the housekeeping staff does an excellent job.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room facing the opera house.

Dear 'candy w'

Thank you for your Review posted on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Thank you for commenting on Benedikt and some other associates. We are very proud that our efforts received your recognition. Please visit us soon again we would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald Krischek - General Manager