“One of the best options in Vienna”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #20 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Vienna, Austria
“One of the best options in Vienna”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I’m travelling to Vienna quite a lot in the last years and have stayed in many 5-star hotels. My opinion is that Bristol is one the best in terms of localtion, customer loyalty and service. The rooms are great (especially those overlooking the Oper bulding and located on higer floors)), breakfast doesn’t leave any wishes unfulfilled, the staff are very welcoming and helpful.

What could be improved? Just small things: for instance, when I order some food to my room, I expect that there will be some bread without extra reminding of it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Konstantin72
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear 'Konstantin72'

thank you for your review posted on this website. We appreciate your feedback. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. I also wanted to thank you for your feedback about room service. It will help us to improve our standards - of course bread should come automatically to your room with your food order. Thanks again for your patronage. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The first room they gave me was quite difficult to get to. I had to take an elevator, walk down several corridors, make a few turns and then walk down a flight of stairs to reach my room. This isn't uncommon in older European buildings but it was not pleasant. The next day I requested a change and was given one to a room in a convenient location. To appease my for the inconvenience they gave me a blintz cake in a decorated box. It was a great gesture and totally unexpected because I did not complain too badly about the room location and expressed gratitude when they told me another room was available. It's little touches like this that really make a hotel stay memorable.

The room was spacious. My king bed was 2 twins pushed together but they stayed tight with no gap forming between the 2 mattresses. It was odd that there was no alarm clock in the room. I did have a maintenance issue: the hot water faucet would not stay turned on. They serviced it and mostly fixed it but I noticed my last day that the problem was recurring.

The location is outstanding. Very convenient to all of the tourist spots and the main shopping street.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank OC_Adventurer
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear 'OC_Adventurer'

Thank you for your review posted on this site. We appreciate your feedback about your recent stay with us as it helps us to improve and maintain our levels of service. With regards to your comments about the room I can assure you that this was only a temporary solution with the difficult access to get to the room. This was caused by some necessary works on this floor which happen behind walls - so you did not take any notice of it. I am glad that we could provide you with an alternative room that met your expectations. With regards to the water issue I will have a look into this and look up our maintenance tracking system so to locate the room you were in in order to get this fixed. Thank you again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We enjoyed three "free" nights here last month (Oct 2012), thanks to our Starwood Points. Our initial room was extremely small. Basically, all bed and very little room to move around. After a few minutes of trying to look on the positive side, I called the front desk and asked how much it would cost to upgrade us. They offered us an unusual room on the mezzanine level, which was accessible only down a stairway. In othr words, there wasn't elevator access to the room. They said other people didn't like it for that reason, but we could look at it. Well, it was enormous!! We said yes immediately. We have no problem getting exercise whenever we can find it.

We had a foyer, separate walk in closet, separate toilet and sink room, large bathroom with a bathtub and separate shower and lots of marble, and a huge bedroom with a table and chairs, chaise lounge, king bed, and desk, with still a ton of room. It was a long room - I called it the bowling alley. It was enormous.

They gave it to us for no extra charge. The sign on the door said it was 789 Euros per night. It was very nice of them...another example of when it pays to be nice and cheerful and not a boorish traveler.

Anyway, it saved our trip to Vienna, b/c that smaller room would have been extremely tight and uncomfortable.

I have really bad allergies - I'm very allergic to dust mites - and I should write a blog on clean hotel rooms. I know better than to book an old hotel like this, with all kinds of old carpet, curtains, etc. that are full of dust mites. But I booked this hotel anyway b/c of the great bargain of getting it for our Starwood points. It was definltely a bit musty and dusty in our room, and throughout the hotel generally, but it was ok. We asked for fresh bedding and I always travel with a special pillow, so it turned out ok.

The hotel was absolutely fantastic, location-wise. We came up out of the subway, which we took from the train station, and we looked to the left, and there was the gorgeous Opera House. To the right was the Hotel Bristol. It is located on a very long street which has a lot of shopping and some great restaurants nearby.

The front desk was very helpful, with old fashioned, stately service. Unfortunately, they allow you to smoke in the hotel lounge (not the restaurant), so we didn't spend any time in the bar area, which is sometimes nice. We didn't eat at the restaurant either.

We would not stay here again, but greatly appreaciate the upgrade and kindness of the Hotel Bristol staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LC_in_SD
Dear 'fun_city_gal'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We value the feedback of our guests very much. I understand that you did like the alternative room that we provided to you. I regret that the first room did not meet your expectations. With regards to cleaning I can assure you that we are putting a strong focus on this but of course all rooms have carpets and this might be a challenge for someone with a dust allergy. I also confirm that we do have anti allergic pillows and blankets for our guests at hand. The floor you were on was temporarily without any elevator access - but this will change at the end of next month. Smoking is only allowed in the bar and nowhere else in the hotel. All rooms are non-smoking. It would be a pleasure to convince you to come back to us - this December we will open 10 new rooms and suites which you may want to try. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I travel a great deal and am a Starwood Preferred guest (although I certainly do not stay always in Starwood hotels). I think this hotel is excellent and I had a very good experience. Complimentry fresh fruit and water refreshed in rooms several times a day. Turn down service with chocolates left in the evening. Attentive and polite staff at all levels from housekeeping to waitstaff to front desk.

This is a historic ( yet recently remodeled) hotel with all the charm of the turn of the century. I felt like I was in Downton Abbey TV show when I arrived at my room to find uniformed housekeepers washing down the doors with a bucket of suds.

Service from beginning to end was very good. The rooms are clean, the buffet breakfast (ate there twice) was wonderful and the one lunch I had there was very good and perfectly served.

Most staff speaks both English and German, which was helpful as I do not speak German.

Warning- the hotel bar allows smoking so be forewarned. I am not used to this anymore as smoking is now forbidden in bars in so many countries, and I didn't like it. There is an area outside the bar in a lobby however which you could take a drink into if needed, and no one seemed to smoke there.

Walking distance to many attractions like Opera, etc. Tram service right outside the hotel.

My overall take? "Expensive but worth it"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear 'CMM-LA'

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor. It is of course a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing my associates for their good service. With regards to smoking you are right - the bar is the only place in the hotel where you can smoke. We do however offer a non-smoking area outside in the lobby area which is also very cosy. All rooms by the way are non-smoking at our hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your impressions. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
tokyo
Reviewed November 10, 2012

It was huge disappointment. I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and I’m Starwood Preferred Guest.
First of all, this hotel’s staff are NOT professional at all. No smile, affected, they don’t working as a hotel staff.
I paid deposit by cash when I arrived and receptionist said I can pay total amount by cash when I check out.
And some receptionist said to me that they made mistake and charge my credit card 860 euro.
I had enough balance but after that my credit card couldn’t use in only Austria.
One day, housekeeper stole my necklace. I told about it to reception but he just said “Ok, so what? Why don’t you call to police if you want. But they can’t do anything.” I couldn’t believe how rude he is.
Receptionist said “manager going to your room at 9am tomorrow” but never showed up. They didn’t apology to me. Dark, small, dusty room.
I’ll never return at this hotel. I’d like to say don’t waste of your time and money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank chloeJill
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear 'ChloeJill'

thank you for review posted on this web site. We regret that you did not enjoy your stay at our property. I can assure you that we treat any incident like this very thoroughly and we have therefore immediately checked our records. Our associates have strict order to report such an incident immediately to my office. I am not quite certain if I understand your issue with the deposit correctly, but I believe that this was an automatic pre-authorization that was done on your credit card. The bank in such case blocks a specific amount for a certain period of time but it is not being charged. A manual release could have resolved that issue. I appologize in case you asked for this and it was not handled accordingly. With regards to your alleged theft I am really puzzled as I do not have any records for such an incident of such severity. I can assure you that I would have reacted immediately on this and also meet you personally on the spot to discuss this issue. I can assure you that the response that you quoted from a staff member is absolutely not within our standards and totally inacceptable for me. Again I am really sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused to you. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further if you would like to contact me direcltly to discuss this off line: gerald.krischek@starwoodhotels.com It would be a pleasure to hear from you soon again. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
tyler tx
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Wow talk about luxury...from check in to check out everything was 5 star. Beautiful city also. The staff was so willing to help at all times. The breakfast was wonderful with outstanding service? Have stayed in many a fine resorts but this hotel has all beat hands down

Stayed September 2012
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear 'belle53'

thank you for your review posted on this web site. It is with pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! It makes us very proud to read how much you enjoyed your stay! Please visit us soon again! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
LAS VEGAS
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel and it's staff was class all the way! The room was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. A walk in closet, sitting area, and large bathroom, as well as a nice king sized bed, made this delightful. The crystal chandelier adds a lovely touch! The bartender, Wolfgang, was a one of a kind, loved him! The dining experience was good as well. Great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CKTLS4U
Dear 'CKTLS4U'

thank you for your review posted on this site! We greatly appreciate your feedback. It is of course a pleasure to read that you really enjoyed your stay at our property. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager