“It's hard to beat!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Oklahoma
“It's hard to beat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Since I was on a Tauck Tour, I didn't book the hotel or our room so I don't know the cost but oh! the luxury! Our room was clean and fresh with a gorgeous crystal chandelier, that had recently been cleaned!!!, There were high ceilings in the bedroom also adorned with newly painted gilt. The bed was ultra comfortable and the service discreet. Across from our room was the Blumenhaus. a room where they kept all the fresh flowers and orchids that were constantly being refreshed around the hotel. A mint on your pillow? Not at The Imperial! We were greeted with small boxes of an exquisite chocolate every night as well as with fresh bottles of water and a basket of pears. We faced a back street so the room was perfectly quiet. The business center was convenient and well stocked as was the small gym.After reading the review from Sully123 Boston, I will add the comment that we too had an extra person in our room for our three nights. It just so happens that this woman owns a hotel in Matera, Italy. She sayas rthat when they are asked for an extra bed, they have purchased REAL beds and that is what they provide for their guests. The Imperial should not even OWN those slatted cots they provided. they must have been left over from old maids' quarters from the 1800's.But still, it was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank grannynanny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at the Hotel Imperial in Vienna and I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment! There were 3 of us traveling and we stayed in the Elizabeth Suite. The room was decorated in blue colors and representative of imperial times. The bedroom had an en suite bath. The bathroom had a shower and a bathtub along with a bidet. The toilet was in a separate room right off the door to the suite. We also had a sitting room in the suite.

Since there were three of us traveling, we requested another bed for the room. Disappointment number one was that you could feel the springs in the roll away bed they provided to us. We had to remake the bed and lay two blankets down just to be able to sleep that night. We did tell the manager on duty the next day and he had another bed brought in which was so much better and sent a bottle of champagne as a gesture of good will. We appreciated his efforts to try to make us happy.

The second disappointment for us was that on our first night we asked the concierge for a dinner recommendation. He suggested a restaurant with Austrian fare that was in walking distance. I asked if he had a copy of the menu and he said no, but that I could go to the business office on the second floor and look up the menu on the internet!!! What???? Never has a concierge told me to go upstairs and look up the menu!!! Isn't that his job?!
The hotel is centrally located and close to shops and restaurants. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and had a wonderful meal. Breakfast each day was typical European breakfast fare and was nothing special.
I really do not consider myself a picky traveler, but for those prices I did not find the service attentive or world class as some reviews suggested. I would eat at the restaurant again, but would not stay at the hotel again. I think for those prices your could find another beautiful hotel in the area with much better service that I'm sure would not send you to the business office computers to check restaurant menus before they made you a dinner reservation!

Room Tip: Rooms are the 5th floor are newer and seem to have better amenities like a heated towel rack and flo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sully123Boston_MA
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. And, we stayed using SPG points with a Suite upgrade to an Elizabeth Suite. First, the hotel is truly regal and feels different than most hotels. The history is quite impressive. And, the hotel actually felt classier than most of the palaces we visited in Vienna. The Elizabeth Suite (we had a blue one) was absolutely massive. An odd downside is that the the room is so big that the toilet is quite a distance from the bed as it is separate from the shower area. The ceilings are ornate and over 20' tall. There's even a golden domed area in the bathroom. We did feel special staying here. And, the service/people were all great. Since I'm SPG Platinum, we also had breakfast included. The buffet was decent, but definitely not ornate. I wouldn't be happy spending the euros for the buffet. You'll read in most descriptions that this is where heads of state and dignitaries stay. During our stay, this was the case -- the President of Azerbaijan was staying here [yes, we had to look up where that country is as well]. Large motorcades and security added to the mystique of the Imperial. We had a good stay and loved the uniqueness of the hotel. But, would we shell out the cash and stay here on our own dime (instead of points)? Likely not. It was unique and regal...but not worth (in our opinion) the bigger bucks to stay...

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rob_mcintosh
Perth Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was in Vienna with my young daughter for 3 nights. We stayed at this magnificent hotel. It was simply fabulous! Where shall I start? First, the location was fantastic. We only had 3 days so the fact that the hotel was walking distance to all of the historical sights was such a plus! It was a fluke that I had booked this hotel. Second, the food was excellent. We had breakfast in the morning, and had one room service meal one night. The serving staff were well trained, polite and prompt. The room service dinner was superb. We only expected a meal that was probably below the standard of a restaurant offering, but we were pleasantly surprised. The quality was fantastic. Third, the cleanliness of the room cannot be faulted. From the quality of bedding to the quality of housekeeping is faultless.

It is a lovely hotel (full of historical significance too! Just check out the past clientele. QE2 herself trod the same hallway!) in a lovely city! We will be back for sure!

I totally recommend this hotel!

Special Note: In case you feel peckish during the day, there is also a Macdonald's and a small supermarket selling cheeses, breads, hams, juices and other items around the corner. Just go out the front door of the reception, turn left to the corner road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jogoony
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was in quite a few hotels in vienna already, but this one definitely got one of my favourite hotels. I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. It is perfectly located, offers very nice food and hast supers rooms. My boyfriend and I enjoyed it very much, I'm sure we'll go there again. Hopefully soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. It met all my expectations and more. This is a grand hotel and oozes with class. But what sets this hotel apart from the rest, beyond the excellent location,
Is the staff. Top notch and professional. I had a minor personal incident which required attention and the staff, headed by Claudia, were fast moving and very attentive. Additionally, the concierges are most helpful . Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siciliangal
Miramar Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My 88 year old mother wanted to do a trip to Austria as she remembered it during her youth. The hotel is grand and fits the name Imperial. The common areas are opulent but also have a coziness to them. The Bar is not to be missed for an intimate cocktail. There is outdoor seating as well. The staff will do almost anything to please and the concierge staff could arrange almost any tickets. We were upgraded to the Imperial Suite which was huge and furnished in the period. The chandeliers were immense. This is not a modern hotel architectural wise but is an excellent way to experience old Vienna. Many chic older local couples come here to visit, sip, and eat. A memorable experience in a location where you can walk to everything.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family