“Like Staying in a Luxury Museum”

Hotel Imperial Vienna
Ranked #15 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Sydney
“Like Staying in a Luxury Museum”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Spent the last days of our European vacation at this hotel that regularly hosts heads of state. The common areas are magnificent with ornate details, chandeliers and art tastefully decorating this grand hotel. The staff were exceptional from Mr Kazan the doorman, Cengiz and Anita at the front desk to Mr Ortalano and Moser at concierge.
Having said all that there are minor issues like the quality of pastries at breakfast ( stale croissants) and the small selection of food. The cost of Wifi, the small showers with low water pressure, the convexity in the centre of the king bed that had me rolling away from my wife. It is the little things that leave the lasting impressions.
Having stayed at the Number 1 rated Hotel in Vienna on Tripadvisor at the beginning of our journey which was one tenth the cost , is it a 10 times better experience? Probably not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JanaliSydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Every need that One might have is anticipated and delivered in an efficient, professional and thoughtful Way as though the staff can read One's mind. The Concierge Desk is a throw back to the Golden Age of traveling. Anita and her colleagues at Reception are of the finest in all Europe. Mrs. Stoppel is a driving force to excellence.
IT IS A JOY TO STAY HERE EVEN FOR JUST TWO DAYS.

Room Tip: Be surprised, I bet that there is not a bad Room in the House.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank shoepeddler
Reviewed January 4, 2013

A hotel is all about snall details and personal service from the moment we arrived
we were treated like royalty.
We were truly impressed by the responsiveness and friendliness of all associates ,they
did everything to make our stay unforgetable,
We would like to thank the entire Imperial Team for an outstanding stay at one of the best
hotels in the world.
The New Years Eve event was one of the highlights of our stay , the food , service , entertaiment , decoration was of first class .

Thnk you Imperial Vienna , we will definitly return to this magnificent great hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are very elegant and in the best tradition of a Palace Hotel .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nedusch
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Between xmas and new year I spend with my wife a couple of days in Vienna and chose the Imperial Hotel this time. It supposed to be the grandest hotel of all in Vienna - or even Austria.
We arrived in the late afternoon and the first sight was amazing…check in area is in a beautiful lobby. Right afterwards we went to our room. It was quiet big (see pictures). We took around the hotel and you can feel with every step the tradition on that palace. I believe that from the Queen of England to the Emperor of Japan nearly every dynasty lived or stayed here. Some famous and some infamous.
Another big plus is the location-right on the Ringstrasse – that means you are right in the cultural, business and shopping area->can’t get better than that
Breakfast is standard with very friendly staff
Overall we were very pleased and can highly recommend it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 78
Heinrich D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear "78" and partner,

thank you very much for sharing your Christmas and New Year Experiences in the Hotel Imperial with us and the TripAdvisor Community. It is truly one of the most amazing periods in Vienna , when the whole city is dipped into bright Christmas illumination and when one can virtually feel the Christmas Spirit in every corner of Vienna and beyond that in the Hotel Imperial.

The Hotel Imperial commemorates its 140th anniversary in April this year and we hope you will give us the privilege to welcome you back to the Hotel Imperial for many further years.

Best regards form Vienna,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I will admit from the outset of my review that as I am only 16 and not a seasoned traveller many people may wish to discard this review however everything I say is honest.
My personal expectations of a hotel are very very high despite my age and the Imperial delivered on every one of my expectations. This review is long overdue as my mother and I stayed during August, however after reading some of the more recent reviews on TripAdvisor of this hotel I feel compelled to provide a defence.
Our budget was rather limited hence we originally booked a standard room with the buffet breakfast. I was delighted when upon check-in the gentleman at reception (one of my favourite people during my stay) informed us that we were able to have an upgrade to a Deluxe room- this was a wonderful treat to start off our stay. My mother's card was not accepted by the Hotel's system and we were required to give a cash deposit- this was strange as the card in question is one of the most popular in the UK. This did not impact upon us that much and the gentleman on the front desk apologised and made sure we were not treated any the worse despite our feeling rather embarrassed. All the expected features of 5* service were presented to me upon arrival- the luggage porter (a South African gentleman) was also very very helpful in showing us exactly how to use all the facilities of the room etc. which saved a lot of effort in working out how things work. It was also a wonderful touch for him to state that although we were staying in a normal room, we were just as important to the staff as a guest in a top suite.
I found the room (205) to be very comfortable and it acted as a private haven away from the summer heat of Vienna. The mattress was firm, providing ample support but also was soft enough for a very comfortable sleep. My only issue with the room was that as first time guests of the Imperial my mother and I were afraid to use the real curtains as we did not know how to close them and found that the blinds did not provide a dark enough room on their own- this however did not affect our sleep that much.
I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast as the selection of items on offer reflected Viennese cuisine and culture as well as the elegance of the imperial. The 'egg station' however did not meet our expectations as on both mornings we were not served what we ordered. Once again however this was only a minor irritation which was made up for by the breakfast items on offer (some of which I did not know the names off and highly regret not asking)!
My only other regret is not taking the time to enjoy the restaurant imperial! I did however use the bar and was overwhelmed by the warmth of the bar staff- that said I did feel pressured to use the outdoor terrace even though as a lover of all things elegant I wanted to use the indoor area, as well as this I did feel a party of 7 rather brash Americans gained more attention than my mother and I- although this was probably our fault for being too restrained and British.
I cannot thank the staff of the Imperial enough for our wonderful experience- I did not believe that the beautiful architecture of the former palace Imperial could be matched by any other aspect of my visit however the warmth and friendliness of the staff of the Imperial matched the architecture. When we checked out we were invited to use the salon as a waiting place for our taxi and were very well looked after while waiting- as I left the grand lobby for the last time during my visit the wonderful gentleman on reception who checked us in even looked up from his phone call to thank us for staying and wish us a safe journey home- I wish I could remember his name- as he was the afternoon front desk assistant I hope many guests have the pleasure of meeting him. I almost wish there was something to complain about so I could receive one of Mr Christandl's invitations to "channel any future hotel bookings for visits to Vienna directly through my office" but there is simply nothing that I can complain about; my stay at the Imperial was near perfection! I vow to return to Vienna again before visiting any other country outside of Britain and when I do I will only ever consider staying at the Imperial. I hope for many years to come (especially when I have more funds later in life so that I am able to book the Royal/Imperial suites) I can continue visiting the Imperial. I thank you once more (albeit very late) for a wonderful stay- I truly class my stay at the Imperial as one of the highlights of my life so far.
It may not mean much to many people but the staff of the Imperial were a very big part of the best summer I have had, to which I can only express my thanks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Kyle B
Dear "Kyle B",

thank you very much for your detailed review on your and your mothers stay with us last year and please excuse my late response to your comment. I was more than happy to read that you are indeed an unexpected young reviewer of the Hotel Imperial, but this is in the same time a very nice opportunity for us to learn that our level of service and the historical architecture of the Hotel Imperial are also very well perceived by the young generation.

I have already shared your positive feedback with my colleagues you have mentioned in your complaisant review and we all hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome your mother and you back to the Imperial in a not too distant future again.

Best regards from Vienna,
Heinrich on behalf of the entire Imperial Team

new york
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Luxury is all about small details and personal service. This hotel is magnificent but my experience was totally ruined by the lack of service. Reception staff never greet me coming in and out of the buidling , never called me by my last name, the concierge had an attitude like the duke of windsor ! I called front desk because my room CD player was not working:after half an hour I called again because none came...and at the end nobody ever showed up ! Unreal from a 5 stars hotel ! Bathroom products are from a generic brand..... unfortunately small details are the ones that make the difference...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank cristianonyc
Heinrich D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear “cristianonyc”,

First of all I want to thank you very much for sharing your experiences and impressions with us and the TripAdvisor Community and please excuse the delay in my answer, but rest assured that your posting did not remain unattended for so long.

I can absolutely confirm your valued opinion that luxury means exactly what you characterise in your posting – high end personal service with the focus to the small details, which gives you the impression to be at home away from home. By looking at your comment we saw that unfortunately you did not appreciate your stay at our hotel from a number of aspects and I am very sorry to learn that you experienced a very inconsistent service standard throughout the hotel. I want to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your comment with us as it was very helpful for us to refocus the attention of your Front Office Associates on the importance of providing consistently a friendly and helpful service to all our valued Guests.

Again, I regret that we seemed not to have been able to meet all your expectations and I can therefore only thank you for your patronage and honest comments. Should you however change your mind and visit us in the future again I would be more than happy to ensure that this visit will hopefully lead in an overall better experience for you.

Kind regards from Vienna,

Portugal
Reviewed December 28, 2012

No doubt the Imperial Hotel is an impressive place. We loved the ambiente and the room. However, the restaurant and the room service do not really cater for vegetarians. Who wants to stay in such a lovely place and dine spaghetti with tomato sauce? Second, I find it a hassle to be charged extra for every step I take (TV, internet etc...). Why not charge more for the room and include such services, as it makes the stay more convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear „MrBRabbit“ and family,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your impressions over TripAdvisor. Your compliments on several aspects have been well received and are much appreciated. However I was rather disappointed to note that your preference for vegetarian dining options were not met by us. We do strive to provide all our guests with unique experiences and hence are very happy to also customize our menu offering to specific needs. Quite clearly we were unable to relay this option to you during your time with us. Please do accept my apologies for this lapse.

It also surprised me to hear that you found TV charges on your bill, as all our available TV channels are free to watch. We do have a pay movie option, as this alternative is a preference of a good number of our guests. Whilst it is correct that charges to apply for Internet usage in the guest rooms, we have, in response to feedback from our guests, made Internet access free of charge at our Café Imperial and our Business Centre.

Let me also take this opportunity to wish you and your entire family a wonderful start to the New Year 2013 and looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to Hotel Imperial once again in the future.

Festive Greetings from Vienna to Portugal,