“Classic old hotel, just OK”

Hotel Imperial Vienna
Ranked #14 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The Imperial is in an old palace and is decorated beautifully. Crystal chandeliers, old oil paintings and lovely furnishings are everywhere. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful.
Despite this we did not enjoy our stay. The beds are rock hard and the pillows old and worn out. Starwood hotels usually have great beds, even the lower priced chains. We were surprised that a "Luxury Collection" property would have such awful beds. Every morning we work up stiff and sore...and we are not elderly. If the beds were improved I would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NancyW1267
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear “Penetanguisheen” and partner,

Thank you for your review and positive feedback on most of your stay experience. I was very disappointed to hear that you did not find a pleasant sleep in our “Luxury Collection” beds, particularly as we generally get raving comments from the majority of our guests about the comfort they provide. We do appreciate and value that expectations and requirements do vary and we are definitely able to provide personalized beddings for any future visit to our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally for assistance, should your future plans bring you back to our wonderful city of Vienna.

Sunny summer greetings form the heart of Europe to Arizona,

Klaus Christandl, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Imperial for one evening the first night we arrived in Vienna. Since we arrived in the morning they told us we could have some coffee in the restaurant and the room would be ready in 40 minutes. It was a very nice way to start the trip since we were exhausted from traveling and really just wanted to go to our room and take a nap. The room was ready as promised. We used our SPG points for the one night - the room was very large with a beautiful bathroom (2 sinks - yea!). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was stunning.

The location of the hotel was perfect. It was very easy to walk around Vienna. Breakfast was very nice but very expensive. We were able to leave our luggage at the hotel lobby while we walked around Vienna.

Staff was wonderful, the hotel location was perfect - we would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear “fasiVirginia” and partner,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience at our hotel with other travellers through this opinion portal. Your highlighting of the helpful and flexible approach of my team members is much appreciated.

Should your travels bring you back to Vienna, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance you might require.

Have a rewarding and memorable summer ahead.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The Imperial Hotel is a lovely building filled with old-world grandeur. The beautiful public spaces are amazing, to be sure. But as a hotel, the Imperial is just so-so. On this, our second visit to the Imperial (the first was more than ten years ago), we left with mostly the same impression as before: a staff mostly “phoning it in” and a hotel resting on its laurels. Yes, it’s pretty, but it doesn’t have much of a soul.

The service was slightly better this time (particularly from the front desk staff, who were lovely on check-in and check-out), but the overall visit was just okay.

We only ate in the cafe for breakfast - the service felt like an afterthought, perhaps because the main attraction is a very nice (but pricey) buffet that seemingly makes service less of a priority (unless you want coffee, which can sometimes be a challenge).

We were upgraded to a Junior Suite, perhaps owing to the lovely check-in staff. The large, bright room featured a huge glass chandelier and comfortable king bed along with a chaise and a few odd pieces of furniture. On the surface (and in photos), the rooms seem elegant, but there were holes in the drapes and the overall impression when you looked closely was of wear and tear. We like all kinds of styles of rooms, but this kind of elegance requires upkeep and care and attention to detail, which seems a bit lacking. As a further example, noise from the adjoining room was clearly audible through the double doors (not soundproofed, apparently) and we had to call down to the front desk on the first night just so we could get to sleep. There is a difference between traditional and old and this hotel seems to skew to the latter.

The bathroom was just okay - much smaller than the size of the room might indicate, and filled with old-world marble paired with a Home Depot-type American Standard faucet in the sink and other mis-matched brass and chrome fittings. Perhaps we would have been more keen on the bathroom if the Bulgari toiletries that we enjoyed on the last visit had been present in this room (they’re now only used in suites, apparently).

The Imperial is not a bad hotel: we liked it, and it has many good qualities, but we didn’t love it. And we don’t think we’d stay there again on our next trip to Vienna.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MJPBAF

Dear “MJPBAF” and partner,

Thank you for your candid review and feedback about your recent 2nd stay at our hotel. Your compliments about the service provided by the Front desk has been shared with the respective associates and your constructive feedback about the breakfast service has been used in our coaching exercises to focus on improvements.

Your observations about the condition of certain aspects of your Junior Suite have also been well noted and will be taken into consideration in our continuous and ongoing renovation activity. I could not agree more with you that attention to the small details is the essence to keeping a unique and historic jewel sparkling in modern times. Rest assured that we will continue to strive for excellence and for ways to delight each and every one of our future guests.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to proof to you once again that the slight improvements you have noticed during this stay will continue to happen. Do not hesitate to reach out to me personally for any assistance you might need for your next visit to our gorgeous city of Vienna.

Sunny summer greetings to Washington DC.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

If you like bland, international hotels this is not the place for you. On entering the hotel it is immediately apparent that this is a former palace and this style continues throughout. Yes some of the furnishings are a little worn but more are "distressed". Our room had everything you would expect in a 5 star hotel but nothing exceptional except perhaps the bedtime chocolates which were delicious. As mentioned in other reviews the service from reception and the concierges was efficient if not friendly, although having been to Vienna before we were not in need of much assistance.
Breakfast was expensive but the buffet offered lots of choice. The omelette cooked to order was top quality but the quality of pastries was disappointing.
The highlight of our stay was dinner in the restaurant. Here the service was welcoming and friendly without being too familiar. The quality of food outstanding. In addition to the normal menu there were several seasonal asparagus choices. The smoked trout starter was literally that. It arrived smoking! Pike perch and smoked peppers was another delicious starter. Turbot was perfectly cooked in a tasty sauce and served with asparagus and ceps. The chocolate crumble cheesecake was good but the lavender sorbet it was served with was truly memorable. For those of us use to London prices this restaurant seemed reasonably priced too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear “Lucyleopard” and partner,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and most helpful review about your recent stay with us. Helpful it definitely will be for other travellers, yet it most definitely will assist me and my team to focus on those areas that still yearn for improvement.

Your compliments about the breakfast buffet and particularly about the restaurant food quality and service approach are well received and have been shared with the respective team members.

Looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back once again in the not too distant future and in the meantime wishing you a sunny and exceptional summer.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We’re not sure we’d have liked Vienna quite so much had we not stayed here.

The hotel is fantastic and worth the extra expense. Great location, staff, décor. You definitely have the feeling you are staying at a palace. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Starwood, so you might get an upgrade
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear “Dean-Laura”,

Your kind comments received this May for your stay with us in autumn last year are most appreciated. Thank you for your concise and complimentary review. Coming from seasoned travellers like you, it means so much more to us.

Should my team or I be able to be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

For now best wishes for a great and memorable summer 2012.

Sunny greetings from Vienna to Half Moon Bay,

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have just returned from Vienna and stayed in the Imperial Hotel which is meant to be the best 5* there and I have to say that Although I liked the authentic old fashioned Viennese style. I was not impressed with my room at all although it was facing the front. The side tables in the room were so one had cigarette burns on and the other one had stains on the fabric under the glass also the shower in the bathroom was broken and I had to call someone to fix it also the mirror had to be adjusted. The fabric on the chairs was dirty and faded. I asked for a toothbrush and it did not arrive the first time and when I was leaving I asked the reception to make sure my luggage went on the coach that I was meeting and when I checked the luggage mine had not been put on I especially went to ask them to do this for me. The internet is expensive it is 19 euros a day and not efficient. A Hotel of this type should be free internet nowadays it usually is. This Hotel is desperately in need on re-furbishment.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank deborah c

Dear “deborah c” and friends,

It was very disappointing for me to learn about the maintenance issues you experienced in the guest room assigned to you for your stay with us. Regular usage may lead to visible wear & tear, however it is part of our philosophy to take rooms with such issues “off market” and rectify the points before assigning them to future guests. Quite clearly our systems failed in your particular case. Please do accept my profound apologies for this oversight and lapse. Rest assured that in the meantime we have rectified all points raised by you in the room you had occupied.
That the luggage service did not work out as requested must have been a final damper on your overall impression of our product and services. Regarding the internet charges, allow me to state that whilst the connection in guest rooms is available at a charge, we do offer free internet access at our business center as a concession.

As I will not be able to make your stay experience undone, yet am very interested to proof to you our true ability to deliver excellence, I would most appreciate if you were to contact me directly for any assistance on your next visit to Vienna, also to enable us to make up for this less than desirable overall experience.

Sunny summer greetings from Vienna to London,

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I went to Vienna as part of an Art Appreciation group. At first glance, this hotel seemed very nice - grand lobby, friendly staff, spacious bedrooms and marble bathrooms. However, we quickly realized that all was not as it appeared-the shower in the bathroom did not work properly - the main head had not been descaled so the water shot out at all angles and the hand shower was broken making it very difficult to use - plus the water temperature could not be controlled. Also the hotel charge €9 per hour for Internet access - unusual in a luxury hotel these days - but the service cuts out after 10 mins meaning we constantly had to call reception asking them to remove the charge - which they did. The service is friendly but not always efficient - on returning at the end of a long day, we went to the cafe on the ground floor for a cup of tea as there was no kettle in the room. Four of us sat down in the busy cafe and waited for our order to be taken. After 20 mins I looked around and realized that others in our group who came in after us had been served tea and cakes while we were still waiting. I asked a waiter to please take our order. He eventually came, took our order and went over to other tables of people who arrived after us to take theirs. But 10 mins later he appeared with trays of tea - for the other tables and did not have ours! At this point, we were all really fed up and got up and left the cafe. When staying in a hotel, it should feel like a home away from home and to have to wait 40 mins for a cup of tea is totally unacceptable - especially in a 5 star hotel.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank LondonTraveller17

Dear “LondonTraveller17” and friends,

You taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel during your stay with us in May 2012 is most appreciated. Thank you for your constructive feedback about the challenges with your in-room shower and particularly the unacceptable poor level of service experienced at our Café Imperial.

Rest assured that in the meantime we have rectified the issues with the shower and whilst I trust that the lack of attention and lapse of service at our Café was an isolated incident, I have personally discussed the matter with our service team in this area and coached them for improvements.

Please do accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service, as I must agree with you that these are basic to be expected from a hotel in our league.

Should you travels bring you back to Vienna in the future, please do let me know, to enable me to be of assistance in making your arrangements.

With sunny summer greetings from Vienna to London,