“All day tour”

Ranked #2 of 588 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Cultural World Heritage Site of Schönbrunn Palace is Austria's most frequently visited tourist attraction. In the palace the residential and state rooms with their original furnishings and decorations convey an authentic impression of the imperial lifestyle. The park and gardens surrounding the palace make Schönbrunn in a unique synthesis of Baroque art as well as providing a convenient and highly popular recreational area for Vienna's population.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Go in the spring to get the full effect of the gardens. Zoo is worth taking in if you're with children.

There are newer reviews for Schonbrunn Palace

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Beautiful palace! I'm not usually the type to make use of audio tours but in the Schonbrunn it's well worth paying for the audio tour, it really helps you immerse yourself in the history of the palace & Vienna. The surrounding grounds are also lovely to walk around in.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had a fabulous day at the Palace with markets and stalls and a tour of the Palace. Even though it was cold, a walk in the gardens is a must.
We went back in the evening for the Dinner (Not sure about the boiled beef) and the recital.
Well worth the effort.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Okay, I am a cheapskate and I don't like paying for audio tours when I can pull up wikipedia and articles on it on my phone. However, entry is only by purchasing tickets that come with the audio device which clearly meant that you can't escape history lessons now. So, I was being very cheap, I showed my US college(university) ID and got student discount. I am assuming they are not too strict about which student ID it is as long as you show it. We took the Grand tour (more rooms and might as well see all it has to offer) which was very insightful and useful as they talked about the Hapsburg family and stuff that proved useful for my trip to Prague later on. I thorougly enjoyed how close I can get to the room but didn't like how we couldn't take pictures. I think it may be for traffic control as sometimes, tour guides take huge groups in and it can be hard to have your own space to appreciate the rooms. I really recommend avoiding these groups and if you end up being in the same room as them, speed up or slow down and let them pass. Once these people have been herded away with their own tour, you have more space to enjoy the opulence of the families that used to live here. The audio tours are very easy to understand and I think children may like it to if they are very interested in history. Lines can get long but It is not as bad as waiting hours to see the Pope or lining up to get to the top of the Empire State building. I loved this tour and strongly recommend it. Pay for the Grand Tour and you will see that it is worth it.

1  Thank aillemaco
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very busy and queues even in winter. It does have a real sense of history but it felt like the contents were a little contrived and unauthentic. I'm not suggesting they are but that was the feeling I got.