“Classy and historical Opera house,Vienna”
Review of State Opera House

State Opera House
Book In Advance
More Info
$57.28*
and up
Vienna State Opera House Mozart Concert in...
Ranked #22 of 775 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Vienna's internationally renowned opera offers nearly 300 performances each year.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Truly iconic..take the guided tour;and try to also catch an opera.Very classy and the history is amazing.Opera lovers or just fans of culture will love the opera house.A magnificent building with state of the art acoustics,comfy seating.Take the time to visit and explore.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,184)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"classical music"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2014

We attended the state opera to see the Marriage of Figaro which was fantastic. However the opera cafe was dreadful - eat before you end up with no alternative !!

Reviewed December 6, 2014

My husband and I decided to see a ballet- the Mayerling- a week ago when we were in Vienna. We were excited since it's been a couple of years since we have seen a ballet and it was an excuse to get semi-dressed up, which we had only done a couple of times in our 3 months of travelling.

The outside of the theater room is beautiful. The steps and archways are adorned with angels and have a lot of great photo opportunities. The theater itself is mediocre- there is nothing wrong with it at all but we were just expecting a magnificently adorned hall after seeing the outside. I rationalized to myself that they are just trying to not take away from the beauty of the performance. The performance may have been beautiful, had we been able to see it.

We sat in the first row of the second section, paid 89 euros a ticket and still were not able to see a damn thing. I may be 5'4", but my husband is 5'11" and he could not see anything either! After twenty minutes, I sat with my legs under me just to give me some height. We spend two hours jerking our heads from side to side. There is not enough of a slope between our seats and the seats in front of us. It wasn't just us, our whole row felt the same way. Whatever you do, do not get row 14!

I had half a mind to ask for a partial refund for time wasted and my legs numbing every few minutes as I tried to elevate myself!

The building is beautiful, the sets were gorgeous (what I saw at least), the drinks and snacks at intermission were reasonably priced, but if we had to do it over, we wouldn't have gone.

Reviewed December 4, 2014

I was fortunate enough to see the ballet performance Mayerling, with full orchestra. It was amazing! The building is splendid inside and out! Well worth it is you can get tickets to a performance! Also easy to find on the metro system

See more reviews
Reviewed December 4, 2014

As our trip was last minute, we had no chance to see a performance, so we had the guided tour of the opera. Except the original frustration of where exactly to go (there were too many people entering at the same time), the rest was great.

The building is beautiful inside and out and the guides give you enough information about its history and the performances. As part of the building was destroyed and was rebuilt, you can see two very different architectural styles in the interior. The anecdotes that the guide shared were pretty funny too.

Tip: If you are interested in attending an opera and you are concerned about the language, there are subtitles at the front of your seat.

1  Thank Voyagelicious