“The Landmark!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$59.84*
and up
Vienna State Opera House Mozart Concert in...
Ranked #27 of 814 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Vienna's internationally renowned opera offers nearly 300 performances each year.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

That's so Viennese! I was lucky to be inside for a performance. I guess I'll remember that for a very long time. The building is beautiful, and it's the landmark, what else is there to say? :)

Write a ReviewReviews (6,767)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"buy tickets"
in 65 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We got standing room tickets. Definitely do your research on the process--there is a lot of information here on TA. We arrived about an hour and a half before the sold out show time for the Marriage of Figaro, and there was a long line, but we got tickets no problem for the Parterre tickets (in the front middle standing room). After looking up at the other sections, we aren't sure if that would have been worth the hassle as the other standing room areas were very high up. The only things I would add is---when you line up for tickets, don't expect to be able to leave. We were going to go to our hotel and change, but we were instead herded over to a waiting area to enter the standing room area. It is an excellent location right in the middle and fairly close to the stage. However, it is a complete sh*&show with everyone trying to get a spot. They really pack you in and there are two sides with two railings and small screens for translations. They try to get some semblance of order by saying there should be about 5 people per railing, but people are packed in like sardines and are allowed to stand in the middle aisle as well. We were the two spaces next to the aisle, and a girl started pushing me in. They tell you to tie a scarf or something to the railing lower to indicate your spot so you could leave to go to the bathroom or walk around. We did this, but when we returned, my scarf had been pushed over by the girl that was next to me, and she was now in my spot. I suggest tieing your scarf to the lower and upper rail. We asked to be let back in our spot but she barely left my husband and I enough room for one person. It was pretty miserable dealing with her because she was very young and immature, and was prepared to battle us for the entire performance (not sure why). We were reading the translation in English on the small screen on the railing, and she pushed it down and covered it up. I told her politely that I was using it, and a few minutes later, she changed the translation to Czech while I was reading it. I did not want to allow her to taint my experience so let it go, but just want to express to you what you may have to deal with if you are standing next to the wrong person. Overall, it was a wonderful performance and one of the best operas we have seen, performers and voices were amazing, but in the future, if tickets are available, I would much rather pay for a seated ticket. Many people, including us, left during intermission because it was just so hot, and your feet get so tired after standing for those hours. They have a bar available that serves pastries and beverages.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We saw Madame Butterfly. The sur titles were on the back of the seat in front of us, which was fantastic. The Opera House is an awsome building, you are overawed when you first enter. The Opera production was good, not great.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Take the guided tour for 6.50 Euro - if purchasing tickets on the day, line up an hour early - it gets very very busy. We were packed in a group of 30 but guide was very clear and ensure we were all together before telling us details.

Very much worth a visit - but could be better organised with ticket purchasing. We had one person processing around 500 people which made the tour start late.