“Fine Hotel”

InterContinental Wien
Ranked #75 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Very pleased with my stay at the Intercontinental. Excellent and gracious service. Fine, attractive and clean accommodations. Excellent breakfast -- exceeds most other European hotels. Great location on the Ring. Across from the City Park. My rate was an excellent value compared to other hotels in Vienna and other large European cities. Save an hour for a tram tour around the Ring Road -- just 2.20E -- and appreciate this beautiful city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ChicagoTraveler08
ClaraPrijapratama, Quality Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear ChicagoTraveler08,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in Vienna. I have shared your wonderful comments with my colleagues.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you again in Vienna.
Quality Manager/PA to the General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,052)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The InterContinental has an impressive lobby and a great location. Stephansplatz is a 15-20 minute walk away as is the Vienna State Opera. If you don't want to walk, the train station is just across the street (stop: Stadtpark). The train station also makes it easy to visit Schonbrunn, the Belvedere Palace, or the Hauptbanhof.

Our room was comfortable and perfectly adequate in size but we did wish we had slightly firmer pillows.

What we loved most about the hotel however, was the buffet breakfast. Obviously, if all you need in the morning is a coffee and roll, paying for a buffet won't be worth it. But if you like to fill up in the morning before a long day of walking and sightseeing their buffet will not disappoint. There is definitely something for everyone! Along with the omelet bar, sausages, bread, rolls, and coffee, there was also a good variety of fresh fruit, gourmet cheeses, smoked salmon, cold cuts, and even rice and soup. It pretty much set the bar for all of the other hotel breakfasts we were to experience on our trip!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crimsonclover9

Dear crimsonclover9,

thank you very much for your valued feedback. The Hotel is indeed located very centrally, which makes it easy to explore the beautiful city.
Besides of the comfort of the room a good nights rest is very important as well. We do offer a "pillow menu" with various kinds of pillows. Please do not hesitate to ask for it the next time you are in Vienna.
We are very proud of our buffet breakfast, as it does not only attract our hotel guests but as well the Viennese itself.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit Vienna again.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our first room on the second floor facing to a roof was disappointing a bit, but we did not care too much at first, because we were staying there only for three nights, and wanted to spend our time outside the hotel. I realized just before I went to bed, that the window was locked, and it was not possible to open at all. For a person like me, who hates to use the air-conditioning was a kind of tragedy, I had to spend the whole night without fresh air in a massive concrete building, and I can say I was sweating all night and could not sleep well. In the morning I went straight to the reception, and when I mentioned the issue, the receptionist told me that they can open the window, and I just had to sign a form for that. Bit later a housekeeper knocked on the door, and tried to open the window, but apparently she could not find the keyhole, and promised us to come back. After thirty minutes waiting I went down to the reception again to ask what is going to happen know, the same receptionist contacted the housekeeping and it turned out that it is not possible to open the window at all in that room. The receptionist, who was a trainee talked with one of her colleagues and explained the situation in German - actulally it was not really professional to speak German in front a guest, who was speaking English, but she was just on training, so I could accept it - and the other receptionist quickly arranged a room on the 10th floor facing the City Park. The second room was extremely nice, bright, with a brilliant view to the park, and it was possible to open the window, I was the most thankful.

The hotel is well located, we bought travel passes and used the tube and the trams for a few times, but touristic area is in walking distance, and we love to walk and enjoy the architecture of the downtown.

We tried the restaurant of the hotel, it was rather empty, and the food was nothing special, but the bar is amongst the best for sure. Crystal chandelier, piano music, bartenders in white jackets, and the greatest long island ice tea of my life. A big thank you for that!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cobachka
ClaraPrijapratama, Quality Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Cobachka,
thank you for your detailed comments. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the window in the first room and the room change. However I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service in the bar and the "best Long Island Ice Tea". The Intermezzo Bar is indeed very famous amongst the local's as well.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you again in Vienna.

Hotel InterContinental Wien

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Wish I could say that this Intercontinental is better than average but I really can't.
Got a "Classic" corner room which was good in size and at a first glance looked fine. However, when scrutinizing things the room actually looked quite worn. Stained wall paper, so and so in terms of cleanliness (some places were really dusty), stained carpeting and furniture.
That does not live up to the Intercontinental usual standards I would say. To be honest the public areas felt a bit tired as well so maybe it's time for an overhaul.
Bed was really good though, big and comfortable.
Breakfast buffet was very good as such but in terms of price it's ridiculously overpriced. 33 euro for breakfast! That's totally unacceptable really, I had 2-3 course dinners for less in central Vienna so charging that much for breakfast is just.. wrong!
Staff was always polite and friendly throughout the hotel.
Location of the hotel is really good, pretty much everything is within walking distance which was nice. Would I stay again at this hotel? Not to sure to be honest.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank j_a70
Anthony D, Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear j_a70,

thank you very much for staying with us and of course thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay.

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the inconvenience regarding the cleanliness/ condition of your room. Of course this shouldn't happened and is not our standard

I did note your comment about our friendly staff and that you liked our breakfast buffet - thank you!
The location of the hotel is definitely an advantage and all important sights can be reached within a short time.
I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon

Best regards

Anthony Delaby
Director of Rooms

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Service level from front desk, Bell staffs to housekeeping were exceptionally good, great location and within walking distance from all major tourist sites.

Hotel is in pristine condition, from hallway, elevator to guest rooms. More importantly you can notice the high level of care and maintenance.

Room Tip: Walk everywhere when possible. try the Restaurant on lobby level.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank John O
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Pros: Location Next To Stadtpark, Bed Linens
Cons: Older Building, Smaller Rooms

This was a return stay for me at the Intercontinental Wien. The location adjacent to the Stadtpark is quite nice, as you can easily go for a walk in the park - a feeling quite similar to New York and other cities with a central park.

While the room was somewhat small, there was still ample space and the view of the park was worthwhile - a great sight when waking up in the morning. There was an iron and ironing board in the room, also a nice touch when travelling for business - at many hotels you have to request one to borrow. There was also a coffeemaker, safe, and mini-bar refrigerator.

The bed might be the highlight here - definitely nicer than many I have slept on in Europe, with a multitude of pillows and heavy blankets, and a very comfortable mattress.

The bathroom was small but adequate. Bath amenities were Agraria with a nice lemon herbal scent that was quite pleasant in the morning.

Breakfast was buffet style with a wide range of items - typical European fare such as meats, cheeses, yogurts, muesli, etc. as well as cooked items like omelettes and pancakes.

Overall, despite the external building appearance, it's a great place to stay, and will likely be my choice again when I am next in Vienna.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank William H
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Overal a great hotel. Rooms, breakfast, staff. The location is definitely a cherry on top. Metro station is just right across the street "Stadpark" and the airport express line is only 10-15 mins walk away. Con: no swimming pool.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business