“Small and hot”

Ranked #208 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
London, United Kingdom
“Small and hot”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After coming home I have read some revues about this hotel. It is true that Vienna is very hot in summer and the fan in the bedroom was useless. However our main problem was that the rooms are very, very, small and the bathroom was minute. It was also quite tatty, with no carpet on the stairs and very dusty artificial flowers everywhere. We found the staff friendly towards us but we did not complain about anything, we just put up with it. They also charged 4 euro for the safe key, 4 euros to borrow and adapter (my husband thought he would have a refund when he returned it!) and you could have had a small bottle of mineral water for 2.50 euro (we drink the tap water). It was convenient for all of the main tourist attractions. I am not sure how the price compared with other hotels in central Vienna but it was not, in my opinion, good value for money.

6 Thank Joanna935

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel's website promised "modern comfort" and a "ventilator during the summer months". What we got was a stuffy room that reached 40C (105F), with a small desk fan to move the hot air from one side of the room to the other. Sleep was virtually impossible, due to the heat and the noise coming through the window (which we had to leave open in the hope of reducing the temperature). Both the bedroom and the bathroom were rather small - poor value for money.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere in summer
4 Thank UKtravellerK
Winchester
Reviewed August 9, 2013

During the summer months, you may regret bitterly staying in this hotel. This is particularly so if you stay in the rooms in the front of the hotel (the double rooms). These rooms face the sun all day long, so they becomes little better than green houses - Vienna gets fairly hot and sunny in July and August. The hotel provides no efficient means of ventilation - and they are not apologetic about it, quite the opposite. The "fan" provided is a small desk fan that does little to placate the heat. During the day is impossible to stay inside the room (for example, if you feel unwell), and during the night I measured 32C inside at near mid-night. We were told that opening the windows would help; it didn't, or not until about 4am, when the outside temperatues reached circa 25C, but then we were kept awake by the extreme street noise, as well as by the heat.
We complained with the receptionist, who was sort of blaming us for chosing to stay there (?!?), that we should have known that it would be that hot, because every summer Vienna gets hot - how should we know: there was no warning in theirs or booking.com sites and no one would automatically and willingly book a stay in hell. I tried to negotiate with the hotel owner to pay for one (unslept) night so that she would cancell the remaining of my booking, since the service provided was not as advertised nor fit for purpose. She was unrepented, she engaged in a monologue which seemed very well rehearsed - no doubt she has had to say that many times before. If I tried to interject (at no stage I raised my voice) she just kept on talking but louder and louder. I contacted booking.com and asked for them to help, and they tried. The owner again turned down any proposal from our side to negotiate an amicable exit. Like the receptionist, the owner was blaming us for chosing the hotel. Wasn't for the fact that I was feeling exhausted that morning due to the heat and an unslept night, I would have laughed. But it was then I fully sympathised with one of the reviews (the person who had asthma attack) I read in tripadvisor. Unfortunately I read it in retrospect: I should have paid more attention to the "Terrible" reviews for, although a minority, they were the most correct in this case. I ended up only staying one night in this hotel, it was impossible to stay for longer, and moved on to a nearby hotel, which was only 10% more expensive, but a few orders of magnitudes better (i.e. it did as advertised, it provided "comfort"). The owner of the Staatsoper hotel seemed very happy with the 3 for 1 deal she had on me: I paid for 3 nights but only cost her 1. Maybe this is the business model she is following.
I filed complaints with the Austrian authorities. This, and trying to warn other travellers here who, like me, pay more attention to the positive feedback, is the least I can do.

Room Tip: - Do not stay in this hotel in the summer months - If you must stay there, then chose the rooms at...
3 Thank Moonytat
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A nice old style family hotel, with very pleasant staff in a central location in a great city, with easy access and paid parking was nearby.

However, the keyword is 'small' and also a bit 'old'! Be prepared for a small room with a tiny bathroom, though with everything required; mind you a fan instead of air-conditioning. The security box has to be paid for and yet would barely hold a set of keys. The carpets could be cleaner and as a result there was a slight smell also, plastic flowers were notable!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013

it is a very nice family hotel located in the heart of Vienna. The rooms are comfortable but small. I would not recommend it for an obese person, it is hard to move around.
The breakfast is delicious and the location is perfect!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The rooms are small, and I imagine they could be warm in the summer with only a fan. However, the location, cleanliness, breakfast and staff can't be beat. I would stay here again, as my first choice over a chain hotel. There is something about being in the center of things, in a smaller hotel, that gives you a better feel of the city.

We were right around the corner from the opera house, a short walk from all the museums, and the public transit. The taxi driver had a little trouble finding it, after he dropped my friends off at the Marriott a few blocks away. But he dropped me steps from the door, and I liked the charm and feel of the place right away.

We called the room "Our princess room" and you can see why! Make sure you have good power adapters, of course. I blew the plugs in the room with my computer.

Reading the other reviews, I am reminded that you can always find fault anywhere because you take yourself with you. But, if you really want to experience Vienna and love local charm, stay here.

Room Tip: Off the alley is probably quieter...we used our ear plugs and still heard the partiers leaving the A...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathymcc
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Zur Wiener Staatsoper for 4 nights and loved every minute. Claudia truly went above and beyond. We came to experience Vienna as locals and not as tourist. The staff recommended wonderful restaurants that we will crave for years to come. The breakfast is small but the perfect amount for a day of touring the city. The room was clean, comfy, quiet, and perfect for two. The location of this hotel is ideal! You are truly in the best location for the best price. Stay here, open the windows and take in the smell of the bakery across the street!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple