“Don't go unless you have kids”
Review of Haus der Musik

Ranked #67 of 807 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: HAUS DER MUSIK is Vienna's modern, interactive Sound Museum. Five floors are dedicated to the fascinating world of music and sound. Test your own musical talent on the Virtual Conductor, enjoy a short version of the famous New Year's Concert, compose your own waltz with the interactive Waltz Dice Game, learn more about Mozart, Strauss or Beethoven and experiment with pitch, sounds and musical instruments. It's the only one of its kind in the world.
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Most of this museum was not worth the time or money, but what saved it from getting a 2 rating was the chance to direct the Vienna Philharmonic at the end. Thankfully the museum wasn't very full at the time, because you have to do this one at a time. If there had been more people, I wouldn't have felt like I could direct the entire song without giving up the baton to someone else.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)
All reviews
in 10 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed April 19, 2010

My experience was awful. I was annoyed that I had to pay one euro for coat check (security reasons). The line for tickets was slow. There were several floors wasted on interactive features. There was only one decent floor on musicians. I would never recommend the House of Music.

1  Thank KAMCPH
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We went to the House of Music on a quiet January weekday when we practically had the place for ourselves. This way, it was a lot of fun. My four-year old could do all the conducting and dice-throwing he wanted (he was less interested in the exhibition about the great composers :) ). But I can't imagine that it'd be fun if you have to wait a lot. Also, the floor where you can make all sorts of noise would be way too noisy to enjoy if there were a lot of visitors there. Even as it is, some of the exhibits were loud enough to scare my son - imagine having all of those noise-making exhibits going off at once... Also: the second floor with the "sonosphere" is spooky (dark with strange noises); some kids might be scared.

1  Thank tiduj
Reviewed December 30, 2009

The only good parts of this exhibit were the historical overviews of Mozart, Beethoven and the other composers. The "interactive" exhibits were awful, complete wastes of time. We were looking forward to this, thinking it'd be similar to a Science Museum exhibit about sound and hearing. Instead, it was a hodgepodge of overly technical explanations, meaningless interactives, cloaked in LCD screens and games to make them seem cutting edge and interactive. I would absolutely NOT waste my time or money on this again.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I visited the Haus der Musik because of Rick Steves' glowing recommendation. We wish we hadn't. It is an odd mix consisting of a small museum of the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra, one floor of interesting tributes to great composers with Vienna connections, and a large number of interactive exhibits about sound (mostly). The exhibits are not well integrated, and some of the interactive stuff is sort of hokey. We had the advantage of visiting on a late afternoon in autumn, when there was almost no one else there, so we didn't have to wait to do anything. I imagine it gets crowded and very difficult to do anything in summer.