“Hotel for Hobbits and Dwarfs”

Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien
Ranked #92 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was in the hotel yesterday.
It started great. Girl from reception desk informed me that the hotel is overloaded and I will receive suite. But she didn’t inform me about the surprise in the suite…
I left my luggage and had gone for late dinner with friends. After comeback, I sent some e-mails and to the bathroom. I didn’t notice that baht is under pitched roof (see picture) and I hit my head on the ceiling. The impact was strong, I sat down. Till now I have headache and vertigo. Tomorrow I will go doctor…
The shower and bath are comfortable for persons till 165 cm. I have 190 cm and receptionist should notice that fact before offering me the room.
Moreover bath has been plugged, water didn’t drain off (see pictures).
The rest of the suite was comfortable and well equipped. I always afraid about pillows quality. Yesterday I slept well. Maybe because anesthesia in the bath.
When I check-out I said to the receptionist that would like to make a compliant.
She totally ignored me. No comment from my side.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Mariusz J
Mercure_Biedermeier, Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Wien Grand Hotel Biedermeier. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I hope you have recovered from the head injury.

As an International Hotel we welcome all guests, also Hobbits and Dwarfs are welcome, but they are not the only guests who have enjoyed their stay with us in the past.

Kind Regards,

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The purpose of this journey was to see the CBSO perform at the Musikverein, and was booked through, and arranged by, the CBSO in conjunction with Travel for the Arts. This is unlikely, therefore, to be the cheapest way of acquiring a room at this hotel. We were not disappointed in any way, however, and did not feel we'd paid over the odds. We had a Privilege Room, which meant that we could use the minibar for free. More importantly, our room was clean, light and surprisingly large: the latter is demonstrated, and the previous quality helped, by there being three sizable windows. The room included: large double bed; writing desk and chair; settee, armchair and round table. Bathroom was of modest dimensions, with good sized bath/shower, wash basin and mirrors, but perfectly adequate, especially because the toilet was separate. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided, along with a daily bottle of sparkling water - the latter being appreciated, as there was no problem in keeping the room plenty warm enough. Pleasingly, if you tried to help the hotel to save the environment, the chambermaids actually left your towels for reuse!

How another reviewer could describe the breakfast as "OK" beggars belief, because it was spot on in terms of quantity, variety and quality. Because of our schedule and attempts at dieting, my wife and I had no problem in lasting from an early breakfast to late afternoon without eating, such was the fare available at breakfast. The service was friendly, attentive and efficient, so that even if only one person on the table requested it, a large pot of excellent coffee would soon appear or even await you. Check in and checkout was similarly hassle free.

The hotel's location is excellent too: it has its own restaurant, of course, but there are numerous
eateries of various ethnicity, cost and size round about, as well as a nearby market. Public transport, including the subway, is virtually on the doorstep: St Stephen's Cathedral is only 3 underground stops away. To be honest, however, we walked everywhere: to and from the Ringstrasse; the centre; Musikverein; Belvedere Palace, etc.

It should be pretty clear that my wife and I enjoyed this hotel: we want to return to Vienna, and when we do, we'll certainly give serious consideration to staying here again. We suggest you do, too.

Room Tip: Had a Privilege Room on 3rd Floor: very comfortable and quiet. Nothing view over breakfast room, bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony s
Mercure_Biedermeier, Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Anthony S,

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed and positive review about your stay. It was a pleasure for us having you as our guest. It is a great pleasure to receive this kind of feedback, please be assured that I will share your comments with the team.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The hotel is very conveniently located, near airport train and city centre. Breakfast is very good. The hotel itself is quite OK but nothing extraordinary. The free guided tour was very good and the guide was unusually committed with a genuine interest in Vienna.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jan-Erik B

Dear Jan-Erik B,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Wien Grandhotel Biedermeier. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I am happy that you took the opportunity to take part in our free city walk.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Mark H

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I recently stayed 8 nights at this hotel while in Wien to perform at Stephansdom. I felt the hotel was conveniently located, only a couple of blocks from the downtown Wien U and had some wonderful restaurants and amenities close by. The room was very clean and pleasant however for most people from the U.S. who don't travel overseas a lot, you will find it very small. The breakfast offered every morning was exceptional and the staff was very willing to help when they could.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jmckay0901

Dear Mr. McKay,

Reviewed March 13, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank DavidfLancashire

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is an OK hotel in a very nice location, inside a quiet pedestrian passage on a main commercial street, close to a shopping mall and few minutes walking distance from the subway.

The hotel itself is nothing exceptional, rooms are clean and brekfast is ok... nothing remarkably good or bad about this hotel, but, as most hotels in Vienna: overpriced.

We stayed for 4 nights in a "Privileg" room, which was quite big, but quite tastelessly designed with a minusculous bathroom and a separate WC where the door could not be closed if a person inside... both very clean though...

There were only 4 hangers in the closet and the reception claimed they could not deliver an iron to the room, which for me is a key service in a business hotel. An iron and an ironnig board are standard hotel room equipment in the US and Asia, and they are delivered upon request in most Hotels in Europe. I consider it a pain to have to ask for it when I arrive tired to my room, and have no understading for hotels not offering this service at all, especially 4 star ones.

It seems there is a terrace with a small garden, which might be nice in the summer time.

There are much better hotels in Vienna for a similar price, but the location itlself is pretty nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Bogabonga

Dear Guest,

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. As the Hotel is a listed building we have very strictive fire regulations from the local fire police, the iron is therefore not permitted in the room. We do provide an Ironing service with a member of staff ironing your cloth or you can use the ironing station provided in the public areas.

I am sorry that you did not appreciate the furnishings in the room. They are selected in keeping with the Biedermeier style which reflects the time when this builing was first constructed in 1837.

Best regards,