“It all depends on the room you get! Beware the attic”

Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien
Ranked #93 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Brisbane, Australia
“It all depends on the room you get! Beware the attic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

We booked through Expedia, promising 40% off the rates for a major hotel in Vienna. On their confirming our booking we discovered we were booked at the Mercure - great, we thought. Silly us! It appears that the 40% was off the quality of the room - we were directed to a tiny attic room with a severely sloping roof that meant sitting up in bed was fraught with danger. The slope in the shower roof meant you'd have to SIT in the bath to use the shower. On asking at Reception to upgrade our room at our own cost, we found that the hotel was otherwise fully booked. They switched us to a 2nd attic room that still had a severely sloping roof - meaning a third of the room was practically unusable - but at least you could stand up in the shower (although not take a step backwards without banging your head). Expedia told us the deal was not refundable or changeable. All in all, a poor choice for us, and I will not be using Expedia Secret Saver deals again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlynnF
H5357-DM, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences at the Mercure Wien Grandhotel Biedermeier. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Roland Hamminger & Team Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

This hotel looks odd from the outside, as you approach it through a narrow entrance into a courtyard. However, once in, it is really, really nice. The hotel is long and thin and has made use of old buildings in a really interesting and pleasing way.

The reception area is nice, lovely small bar and good on-site restaurant. I ate lunch and breakfast there, both were excellent. The breakfasts, in fact, are probably the best I have had in anywhere in Europe for quite a while, with excellent choice and quality.

The staff are really very helpful and professional.

The hotel has good wifi and also ethernet cables in the rooms, which is free. The rooms are really nice, mine was very spacious, and well equipped and, crucially for me, silent. Helpful things like fre printing for boarding passes, make the stay a little bit nicer.

Overall, probably one of the best hotels I have stayed in a very long time, and I would certainly recommend it for Vienna.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank yorktraveller_8
H5357-DM, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about your latest stay in Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien on tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure for us, that your stay with us was comfortable and you could enjoy all of our services. Of course, I shared your comments with my staff!

Thank you again for staying with us it would be a pleasure to welcoming you again in Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien!

Best regards,
Roland Hamminger
Mercure Grandhotel Biedermeier Wien
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

The hotel was well situated across the river from the city center. the front desk staff was extremely helpful. They gave advice, directions, and maps.

• Stayed May 2012
H5357-DM, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review and your nice comments concerning your latest stay at the Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien.
I forwarded your feedback to all my staff, we are more than happy that you felt comfortable with us. Please keep your memories and think of us when you decide to come to Vienna again.

Best regards & all the best,
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed here during an unseasonally warm late April 2012. Had a premiere double as we booked too late for a cheaper option - but as we also had a friend with us (in a perfectly nice single) it turned out to be a good choice - comfy sofa, armchairs and loads of space. Price entirely reasonable for the standard of accommodation, and location, in a capital city. Hotel is situated off the main drag on a quiet and highly picturesque pedestrianised snickelway. It's not in the very centre, but is about a 10mn walk from the Ringstrasse/5mn from the main park. The big advantage of this is the space available for rooms and also the rather lovely courtyard garden in which we spent many leisurely breakfasts (the breakfasts are brilliant), and equally chilled pre-dinner drinky sessions. Staff universally friendly, and patient with my dodgy German (English widely and eloquently spoken). Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
H5357-DM, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments regarding your latest stay in Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien.
We are more than happy to see, that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt comfortable. Please let me mention, that I will share your feedback with my team.

It would be a pleasure to welcoming back to Vienna and to our hotel.

Best regards, have a nice summertime!
Roland Hamminger,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

Writing the review in the room right now. Got this room from priceline bidding with quite an expensive rate for Priceline bidding standard. Expecting an ok stay since its a 4 star hotel.
However , the room i was appointed to the first floor room which looks like a small hostel room! Extremely disappointed. 2 small single bed with no place for luggage! Can't wait to leave the hotel !
The room service is laughable! The main thing which was done was the blanket being changed and the toilet washed. Everything else remained untouched . 2 glass which was used the night before was nOT cleaned and not toUch!
It must be from the bidding that I got suh a poor service ;(
The breakfast however is ok . For USA standard is consider ok selection but of course nothing compared to Vegas buffet ;) good for value for austria standard however .

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank eewern
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Grandhotel Biedermeier Wien with us and the tripadvisor community.

First of all, please let me apologize for the circumstances you had in your room. I am really sorry to read, that our services did not meet your expectations. I already talked to the responsible heads of departments in order to solve the described issues.

We truly hope to welcome you back at our hotel soon, we wish you all the best in the meantime!

Best regards,
Roland Hamminger
Durrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

A flying visit on business brought me to this hotel for a one night stay. Reception is oddly placed midway between 2 streets meaning that you have to carry your luggage over a cobbled street for 50 metres or so. The staff at reception were very polite and helpful and warned me that my room was very large but it was all mine. This intrigued me until I entered the room and turned left to see it extended for 20 metres! I passed a toilet, shower room, lounge area with 2 beds, office area with a bed, another bathroom, a built-in wardrobe and finally the main bedroom. There were plenty of places to hang coats etc plus a safe, minibar, TV, and free wired broadband. The room was clean and clearly in ther roof area since the left hand side had eaves protruding into the areas. I did hit my head a couple of times but got used to the layout.

Now there were a couple of things that spolied the room. First of all, the lounge area where the TV, minibar and broadband connections were located, didn't have any free electric sockets nearby to plug in a laptop. Crazy! I had to move a table, pull the broadband cord all the way out and plant myself in the middle of the lounge area to get a semblance of a home office in place. The other thing that annoyed me was the bathroom. The eaves protruded into the room so I could not stand and go to the toilet face on. Similarly, the bath had the same issue though to a lesser degree. In addition, the shower head thought it would be fun to push water out horizontally as well as vertically and every other degree in between. I thought about using the other bathroom but that was clearly for children as the clearance was only 1½ metres under the shower head.

These were the only issues however. I ate in the bar area and the service there was very good as was the food. The bed had a nice firm mattress, plenty of good quality pillows and nice single duvets although no TV in that area.

Overall, the room was so big for one but I enjoyed the space. The electric outlets need sorting as does the shower head. The service was very good as was the food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Merlin_de_Manaus
H5357-DM, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Biedermeier Wien, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the tripadvisor community. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the good location of our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

With all our best wishes!