“Great Location, Poor Service”

Radisson Blu Palais Hotel, Vienna
Ranked #244 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great Location, Poor Service”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel building is beautiful and it’s located near Stubentor subway station, Weihburggasse tram station, Stadtpark, many restaurants and main tourist attractions. Some of the furniture and room facilities still look good, some don't. We stayed four nights at room 816 which has a small window overlooking other hotel. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and nice. Free wi-fi is available, and the minibar is free too.

However there are some minor issues which shouldn’t have happened I think. There was no information about how to use the safe deposit box in our room. I tried to contact the hotel staff via ‘one touch service’ button and ‘100% guest satisfaction guarantee’ button on the telephone, but I got an answer from the receptionist after I tried to call them several times. She said that hotel staff would come to our room to fix the problem. I waited, but none came. Then the receptionist called to our room, and kept me waiting again. I had to hang up the phone because it was a very long wait. She called again, and told me that none could give me the information I needed since she didn’t know how to use the SDB in our room, and other staffs who knew were busy (?!!).

The curtain holder was broken and the coffee cup was dirty (see the pictures!).

We left our dirty towels on the floor once. The housekeeping staff took them, but didn’t replace them.

I wonder what they mean with ‘one touch service’, ‘100% guest satisfaction guarantee’, and ‘yes I can philosophy’. I hope the management of the hotel pays attention to improve their service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PalaisManagement, General Manager at Radisson Blu Palais Hotel, Vienna, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear damzkey,

with regret we learned to know that our one-touch service did not work as well as the final inspection of your room of our Exec. Housekeeper.

We deeply apologize for failing in these certain matters. Please be kindly assured, that we will review our internal routines in order to prevent re-occurences like the mentioned points.

Best regards from Vienna

Helmut Sommer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend and was mightly impressed with everything. They instantly recognised I was a Gold Club Carlson member and were able to upgrade me to a suite. This is the sign of a great hotel with great staff!

The historic building was fabulous and the location was great, easily walkable to everything for a long weekend. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Dave27UK,

thank you very much for sharing your recent stay with the community. We are proud, that you felt instantly recognized as a valued Club Carlson program member, together with all benefits.

We are very much looking forward welcoming you soon again and extend our

best wishes from Vienna

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have some very mixed feelings about this hotel.

Positives:

+ It is in a lovely building (from the outside / some communal areas)
+ Friendly and helpful staff
+ Some free minibar drinks
+ large room
+ Good location

Negatives:

- Whole place generally feels tired
- Bathroom was quite rundown and toilet a bit dirty.

Overall I quite liked the place, but really can't give it more than 3 out of 5.

Dear ramw,

thanking you very much for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community, we regret, that you hat the mentioned impressions.

Nevertheless we appreciate your time and fairness to extend your impression and experience in order to maintain and improve our level of service.

Looking forward welcoming you soon again, we remain

Nashville, TN
Reviewed August 23, 2012

it just seemed that they tried to take a really old hotel and update it without thinking things through first.
The bedding was quite cheap.
There did seem to be a lot of places around to eat and drink.

This review is short, because my stay was short.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank setcarp
Dear setcarp,

we regret, that our historical building, built 1872 did not meet your expectations.

Due to several "heritage protection issues" we are only in the position to updated certain items, the mentioned bedding is already in the final stages and would be installed within the next 3 months due to supplier issues.

Nevertheless we would like to thank you for your shared experience and remain

World wide
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Location is close to the vienna mitte station, park right next to it!!! Atmosphere was amazing so were the staff and rooms!!! We had 4 days over there, and after spending time in many vienna hotels during the years this one is a super recommended 4* hotel!!!! Full service to the rooms !!!
Enjoy your stay in vienna with that superb classic.modern hotel!!!

1 Thank UniversalTravellers
Dear UniversalTravellers,

thanking you very much for sharing your recent experience at our "heritage protected" hotel.

We are very glad, that your expectation of a traditional, historical and centrally located hotel did match.

Looking forward welcoming you soon again, we remain

Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Perfect location, big room, value of money, I would highly recommend to stay you will enjoy pretty much, especially if price are cheap becouse sometime it is expensive, all importent things are very close and City Metro as well .. It is not 5 star but considering price it really worth to test once

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Keresa
PalaisManagement, General Manager at Radisson Blu Palais Hotel, Vienna, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Keresa,

Thank you very much for your comments on your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Palais Hotel. It is our pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as Vienna.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon in the Radisson Blu Palais Hotel.

with kind regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My young daughter and I arrived at this lovely hotel following a long car trip. When first impressions matter so much I was struck immediately by the friendliness of the doorman who was happily chatting away to my daughter (and her teddy) whilst the lovely porter organised our bags. Check-in was courteous and efficient and I was allowed to practice my poor German in spite of the fact that the receptionist's English was of course excellent. We had booked a double room which was tastefully furnished and very clean, the beds were also exceptionally comfortable. Room service was excellent and they happily supplied extra tea bags and a jug of milk, very important to a British northerner! We ordered room service breakfast which was plentiful. Check-out was swift and I was grateful for the use of their business center. I was a little surprised by another poster stating they felt the staff rather stand-off-ish, I couldn't disagree more, I've stayed at many, many good but 'soul-less' city hotels around the world and absolutely none of them match the warm ambiance of this wonderful hotel in the heart of Vienna. We live in the UAE and have enjoyed many of it's five star resorts but there's really no 'heart' in them and I just found it so refreshing to find a hotel representative of a bygone era, faded or otherwise with all its genuine charm. My daughter didn't want to leave because she was made to feel like a princess by all the staff we encountered. I was so impressed by the staff I felt compelled to write my first Trip Advisor review. We will most definitely return. A big thank you to the wonderful staff who work so hard both in front and behind the scenes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cati72
Dear Cati72,

thank you for your stay at the Radisson Blu Palais Hotel.
With great pleasure we noticed that you were satisfied with your stay and gave us great evaluation on tripadvisor. Thank you very much!
I will forward your comments to our employees to make sure that your next stay will be just as warm and comforting as your last one.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your daughter soon in the Radisson Blu Palais Hotel.

kind regards from Vienna