“For the Hundertwasser and McCartney Exhibits a Combi Ticket is only €2 extra”

Kunst Haus Wien - Museum Hundertwasser
Ranked #30 of 570 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: EXPERIENCE HUNDERTWASSER UP CLOSE: Art - Achitecture - Nature - Vision Two intriguing museums experiences await the visitors at the KUNST HAUS WIEN. The Museum Hundertwasser presents the world's biggest collection of Austrian exceptional artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser (1928 -2000): his world famous paintings, fine art prints, tapestries and architectural designs. Here you can immerse yourself in his imaginative world of art inside and out - colorful walls and uneven floors in the interior, the artistic façade with tiles and color fields on the outside. "Tree tenants" grow from the windows, plants and flowers inhabit the rooftop and inner courtyard. In Vienna's first "green museum" one can sense Hundertwasser's visionary mind and experience his ecological engagement on site. Beyond that the KUNST HAUS WIEN is Vienna's premier house for photography exhibitions: changing exhibitions introduce the biggest names of photography to a wide audience.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Dublin, Ireland
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“For the Hundertwasser and McCartney Exhibits a Combi Ticket is only €2 extra”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Be sure to buy a combi ticket for an extra €2. Admission is €10 for each exhibit and €12 for both. Both are definitely worth a visit. Your life will be poorer if you don't. Linda McCartney's stunning pictures are incredible and differently but equally incredible is the Hundertwasser exhibit. His works are superb and the whole building oozes his work, life and quirky personality.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Brilliant Cultural Venue”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is an amazing space where you can view a range of travelling exhibitions and enjoy the cafe or buy a fantastic book or art souvenir in the shop. I visited the Linda McCartney Retrospective which is spread over two floors and is on until 6 October. You can find the full programme on the venue's website. The building itself is also a work of art, and their ethos, to view art in an environment which is as comfortable as your own home, makes the space very inviting. KUNST HAUS WIEN. Museum Hundertwasser
Untere Weissgerberstraße 13, 1030 Vienna

Israel
116 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“My favourite place in Vienna”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Thank you Tripadvisor for recommending this wonderful place. I love quirky architecture so this place was a perfect place for me. I didn't know of the Vienese artist Hundertwasser and I was overwhelmed by his talent. His talent for architecture, painting and way of thinking is incredible. I was so moved by the way he thought of townplanning and his view of modern day architecture. His paintings are gorgeous as are the carpets. The building itself is magnificent, as is the courtyard outside and the coffee shop. Even the bathrooms are super funky!! While we were there, we saw a photography exhibition of Linda McCartney which was also nice. We spent at least two wonderful hours here. I am only disappointed that I didn't have enough time in Vienna to see Hundertwasser's other buildings...

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Interesting and Different”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were attracted by the pictures of this place on the places to visit information and it was well worth it. The art work did not inspire but the architecture and philosophy of Hundertwasser was really interesting. The short documentaries that were playing were really interesting and his village concepts made you think. We would have liked to have seen more and visited other of his buildings. We got thoroughly soaked getting there and it was late, so we only had an hour. We would have liked to have spent more time in the building and gone on to see Hundertwasserhaus but it was dark and we were very wet.

Visited August 2013
Vienna, Austria
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A Great Visit-Except for the Attitude”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I had a great visit here until I dealt with the staff at the Ticket Counter. I specifically went for the Linda McCartney exhibit, which was excellent. A multi-media presentation of her life's work in photography without being overly Beatles....she photographed some of the most important rock icons of the 1960s and did it with talent. Take the time to watch the 50 minute documentary and wander the 2 floors of her photography.

The Hundterwasser museum and historic converted Thonet Factory building are worthwhile, as well. In fact, I wanted to spend more time learning about this artist and discovered part of the way through my visit that there was an annual pass available for about 10 euros more than the daily ticket I had just purchased. Had I known this at the beginning, I would have purchased an annual, but I am new to Vienna and was unaware.

When I politely asked (during my visit) if I could covert my ticket to the annual, I was rudely dismissed and scolded for asking since my ticket was "history".

Frankly, as a newcomer to the city and one who would have returned over and over with friends and guests in tow, this rude dismissal was a loss of future funds for this venue. No doubt, there will be others who make up for what I will not be spending here. Give the ticket guy my kind regards.

Overall, worth a trip, especially while the McCartney exhibit is in town. (I think until October 6)