“Avoid, avoid, avoid.”

Ranked #1,835 of 4,310 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Wieden
Description: The owner, George, is extremely welcoming and even crosses the street to solicit people as they leave the Belvedere Palace. He told us if we didn't like the food we wouldn't have to pay for it! The tuna salad was excellent...very fresh food. It's across the street from the beautiful Belvedere Palace (one of the entrances). The owner gave us a glass of red wine complimentary to thank us for coming in (even before I told him I would post a complimentary note on Trip Advisor!)
Reviewed November 21, 2011

On a day trip to Vienna we were unlucky enough to meet the resturant owner on the street who invited us into his resturant on the pretence of helping us by giving us a map and directions as well as two drinks" on the house" !!. He was in fact setting the scene for us to return that evening for a meal in order to get as much money out of us as possible. Similar experience to previous patrons!!. I ordered a starter of humous and bread which arrived along with seven other plates of starters and a salad. I said i didn't want them however the waitress insisted it was part of a greek meal. The menu was in german, no english. The waitress suggested kebabs - these were "specials" both of which were well below average quality and not on the menu. We were then presented with a dessert "on the house". The bill included one glass of wine, one water and two coffees. Total cost of the meal was 83 euro. Avoid this resturant at all costs.

1  Thank cormacsmummy
There are newer reviews for Restaurant beim Belvedere

Reviewed August 7, 2011

To my horror, I experienced the same rip-off which fellow reviewers experienced.

Lots of unwanted food, no English menu, splendid way to rip off unsuspecting tourists.

We went in for a quick coffee break and asked for a garlic pita bread, we got 11 items and bill presented was 152 Euros.

On next table other tourists asked for tea and they were ripped off for 90 euros. When complained to waitress, she threw fits and walk off. Then a hovering leader came and negotiated our bill for 72 euros.

Food was good and tasty, but be sure to check what you order and what you get before you start eating happily.

1  Thank Guarangd12
Reviewed July 20, 2011

They are rippers, the bully you to pick something fast , menu is not in English and they deliver on table extra food and then ask you to pay for the unwanted food.
I order only a sausage and a Viennese snitzel + drinks and they came with big vegetable salad, 4 dishes with some salads and a plate with 3 sausages, 2 snitzels, meat on stick, mean in a boll, rice and potatoes, I ask for 0,5 bier ... they bring 1l ... and so on.
Every time i told them i didnt order that they assure me that is no problem.
Then the bill ... 70euros ... i made a big scene, the other customers didn't thought to join in, they were in the same situation but they probably didn't hear or didn't understand English.
In the end i cracked and paid ... and its was the bad experience for me ... not for the cash but for the awkward situation that they place me into.
I couldn't enjoy visiting Belvedere near by ... so Dont go there !

1  Thank TonyKukoc
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We made of the mistake of accepting the owners suggestion that we share a little lunch time barbeque of some meat and salad. We had two beers and a small glass of wine. The lunch was,at best, mediocre. The bill was 81 euros!

2  Thank cathryne27
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stopped here for lunch. The server suggested something not on the menu.
The food is amazing. Very tasty and beautifully presented.
However, we paid Eighty Euros for lunch. I regret not checking Trip Advisor. One look at the reviews and I would have avoided this place. It's shameful that people cheat you in such a way.

2  Thank CTSopper