“A superb Italian”

Neighborhood: Neubau
Waterlooville, Hampshire
“A superb Italian”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

In Vienna on a long weekend break. Found this restaurant on trip advisor and couldn't be more pleased we did. It is another small establishment, but with an excellent menu and great hosts. This was the best eating place we went to whilst in Vienna. Both our pizzas were delicious and lovely thin bases, with tasty toppings and my wife's dessert was so good, she was almost licking the plate clean :-)

If you are in Vienna please go here and you won't be disappointed, unless you don't book!

1 Thank DrewDenmead

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rethymnon Prefecture, Greece
“Great Food, great Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I visit da Giovanni regularly, and have never been disappointed. It serves without doubt one of the best Pizzas in town at a very, very reasonable price. I have had Pizza in many countries around the world, and da Giovanni ranks way up in my opinion. I am surprised by the negative review before mine, specifically pointing out the Pizza, but if one is looking for American style, deep dish Pizza or similar, this may quite possibly not be your first choice... go to da Giovanni for AUTHENTIC ITALIAN Pizza, Pasta, an authentic feel and atmosphere. The focus is on Pizza, and the Menu is not large, but what is on offer is very good. Do not expect service as in a high end Restaurant, but I have always found them to be very friendly. The House wine is good and inexpensive, and I can only say my overall experience each time is great... I will certainly return often.... I see little need to go anywhere else if I feel like Pizza.

• Visited February 2014
England
“Staggered by the positive over the top reviews !!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Definitely the worst pizza I have ever had the misfortune to eat.

Very mediocre (that's being kind!) decor and not very comfortable. Clean enough but very old fashioned.

Totally uninspiring menu and if you want anything other than pizza you could be in for a struggle. Very limited selection of pasta which is strange for an Italian Restaurant.

Sorry we won't be returning. Cannot understand it's top 25 rating out of over 2000 restaurants in Vienna. It really is nothing special at all.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Exactlyhowitwas
Leipzig, Germany
“Not really that Italian?”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My family and I have dinned in so many Italian restaurants around the world and go on vacation to Italy every summer, so I consider myself well in to the Italian cuisine. This dining experience was not the best at all. The restaurant is very small, so make sure to reserve a table, and the surroundings are very uninspiring, but the food could have made up for all that, but unfortunately it did not.
We had bruschetta and different starters, and that was very good. Cold cuts, salmon and everything else of the starter was delicious. You normally get bread when you arrive at an Italian restaurant, so we asked for bread, and all they had was pizza dough made in to a kind of small baguette and that did not taste of anything. The normal olive oil and maybe some balsamic was not to be seen.
The main courses was not good at all. I had ordered a simple spaghetti al ragu, as I for some reason love it and have had this dish SO many times in my life. She came with the container with "parmesan" which was filled with mold! This was very unappetising, and I did not use the second container (coming directly from a bag and did not even have that distinct cheese flavour), as my spaghetti al ragu was filled with cream! It tasted like putting the tongue out of the window and lacked all of the things I love about this dish. The cook said that is a possible way to make it where he comes from, but I have never tried this dish made like that and it was not good at all. My husband had a seafood pizza, but it was not made like Italians would normally do it. It was overloaded with toppings and the bottom of the pizza was way to thick and completely soaked and flaccid so he did not eat very much of it.
We had decided to try their panna cotta and some coffee when we arrived, but after this disappointing meal we went home and made the coffee there instead.
I would not recommend this restaurant as the selection of good places in Vienna is very big.

• Visited February 2014
“Great food poor service, real italian”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

If you are going for the food it's a bullseye, if you are going for the atmosphere it is a not such a good choice. The food is genuine italian and so are the waiters, the tables are crammed next to each other.

Oh one other thing, the non smoking ban is only valid up to 9 p.m