“Didn't live up to the rating and the reviews - and smoking permitted after 9 PM”

Pizzeria Osteria da Giovanni
Ranked #56 of 4,161 Restaurants in Vienna
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Neubau
Hadera, Israel
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This place had a high rating in Tripadvisor and the reviews were good, so we had preselected it for our trip for a dinner.

We finally found it after some public transportation mishaps...on a side street...after walking by a different, lively and almost fully occupied Italian restaurant on the main street, which we almost mistook for Giovanni's.

The restaurant was empty, except for a couple that just walked in thirty seconds before us (we watched them open the door and go in). There was one waitress, and she guided us to a table. The restaurant is small, I didn't count them but there were maybe 7 or 8 tables.

The waitress told us about the special dishes which were also listed on a chalkboard on the wall. The menu was much more limited than I had been expecting, and wound up ordering pizza. I would have ordered gnocchi or pasta but the sauces were also limited and not interesting. I ordered the Quattro Stagione pizza which I asked for without meat. Unfortunately I didn't notice that the description of the pizza also included "champ", because I hate mushrooms. My husband ordered the grilled fish (I don't remember what kind - maybe swordfish). First out was the mixed salad we ordered and shared, it was tasty. Then came the fish. About ten minutes later my pizza came out. My husband had more or less finished his meal. The pizza looked great until I noticed the dreaded mushrooms....a generous quantity strewed all over the pizza. I would have sworn there were no mushrooms listed on the ingredients and after a couple of minutes agonizing about whether to return the pizza or try to eat it, I decided to ask the waitress if the menu stated mushrooms. She told me it did and then showed it to me - it said "champ". After explaining to her I don't like mushrooms I asked her if she could take it back. She said she'd check with the chef. When she returned she took the pizza and said he would make another.

I was happy that she took it back but I didn't understand why she didn't take it straight away, and had to consult with someone. In the end the pizza - without mushrooms - arrived, the crust was thin and crunchy and the pizza was very nice (sauce a little watery though).

We wanted desert but alas it was just after 9 PM and at the next table (he came in at some point) someone was just lighting up a cigarette. And according to the sign on the wall, smoking in the restaurant was permitted after 9 PM. Unfortunately we didn't see this right away, there were no ashtrays on the table either, We probably would not have stayed to eat there if we knew there would be smoking at the start; I just now looked to see what the law about smoking is in Austria and it apparently isn't very clear.

So we passed up on the dessert and called it a night.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Cindy D

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
istanbul
“Especially seafood!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We ate tagliate with sea food (my wife) and with white truf sauce, rocket salad with crab and drank very good soup. The owner (we guess) had been living 10 years in Italy and many foods come from Italy. In addition the desserts are very very delicious. I recommend you make a reservation (because it is not a big place) and ask for the daily special. What a pitty that i could not taste the pizzas but next time i will try it!

• Visited October 2012
Tehran, Iran
“One of the best in Vienna”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Foods and drinks were very delicious.
Friendly Staffs.
One of the best Italian restaurant which we ever meet.

• Visited October 2012
“incredible italian food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We have found the restaurant from tripadvisor tips and it was fantastic.We ordered diavola pizza and tortellini la salsa porcini.Food is delicious and waiter is so friendly(she is turkish :) ) We also ordered red house wine,you should try it.Excellent service,prices are reasonable ,pizzas are 7-10 euros.Ä°f you are looking for best italian and good price,this restaurant is what you are looking for.

“Outstanding”
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot and use Tripadvisor to limit the mistakes I can make in unfamiliar locations. This place is highly recommended. A small Restaurent in a small street with fantastic homemade pasta and sauce - in my case - Gorgonzola and Truffle. Good food in simple surroundings. Thank you just what I needed....