“Great service, tasty Gulasch, wonderful evening!”
Review of Cafe Englander

Cafe Englander
Ranked #194 of 4,193 Restaurants in Vienna
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Vienna, Austria
“Great service, tasty Gulasch, wonderful evening!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

When I was last in Vienna I met up with a friend for dinner and she suggested we go here. I'd walked past often enough but never been in, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. There wasn't actually room outside when we arrived as there was a reservation for a larger party, but the waiter was happy enough to let us take the table until then, and moved us the second another table was vacant.
As for food, the menu is certainly a step up from your regular Kaffeehaus, but still covers the classics. I'm not big on Schnitzel or Sausages so I went with the small Gulasch and a mixed green salad. Just as it should be, the meat was melt-in-your mouth yummy and there was plenty of juice to be mopped up with fresh semmel. Certainly worth a recommendation!

• Visited June 2012

• Hebrew first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Breakfast in Vienna”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is a real locals' restaurant.
I couldn't bring myself to pay EUR25 for breakfast in my hotel no matter how good it may be.
The guy at Reception recommended Cafe Englaender. I sat outside and enjoyed the gorgeous Summer morning before the heat kicked in.
I had 2 fresh rolls, 2 jams, an egg, butter and a double espresso for EUR6.80
I certainly couldn't have eaten more.
Delicious and excellent value.
I walked past this evening and they seemed to be full so next time I will try dinner.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank pointyendpreferred
Vienna, Austria
“quite gourmet-menu for lunch”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

they offer every day 2 different lunches, it is not only for the stomach but also for the eyes!
I really recommend it, but you should reserve a table.
It it also a nice place to have breakfast with friends before going into the office.

• Visited January 2012
London
“Lovely food for a Sunday afternoon”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My Husband and I were wandering around Vienna on a crisp Sunday afternoon and decided we needed to find somewhere for lunch.

As almost all shops and most restaurants were closed we weren't holding out much hope on finding somewhere that wasn't McDonalds for lunch,

We were very happy to come across Cafe Englander which by the way is not an English restaurant, it was pleasantly busy but not full so we easily got a table. We both decided on the special for lunch which was soup, followed by Schnitzel and Sacher Torte for dessert. To me that is classic Viennese fare not English...

Anyway we thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere and recommend that you try it if you are ever in the area!

• Visited November 2011
Ramat Gan, Israel
“A last meal in Vienna - a real pleasure not easily forgotten”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

For our last night we wanted to celebrate a true Viennese schnitzel. We found it in a rainy evening, in a sweet restaurant. The service was excellent. the royal taste homemade. the taste of the chocolate cake still in our mouth If we had stayed another night we probably would have returned to have some more