“Traditional Vienniese cuisine with a Mediterranean flair”

Appiano Das Gasthaus
Ranked #533 of 4,268 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Vienna, Austria
“Traditional Vienniese cuisine with a Mediterranean flair”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am a local and I have patronized Appiano many many years. I have never witnessed anything dishonest or the like as stated by earlier reviewers. What I always receive however is: a typical Viennese athmosphere (Gastro Pub Style, but with a twist), excellent and creative food, prepared to perfection and the portions are way large enough. Wine selection is wonderful and waiters are very educated about their wines and are happy to give very interesting recommendations.

• Visited June 2013

• Thai first
Vienna, Austria
“Traditional Austrian gastropub, great lunch”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and my colleague had a lunch here today. The look of this place is something that I would describe as gastropub - tranditional Austrian restaurant that looks more like a pub. Devided into few small rooms, each with few tables.

The menu is traditional Austrian. We chose the day´s special which was a beef stake with goos liver ravioly (doesn´t that sound already divine), spinache, sauce reduction, truffle foam and truffle shaving. The dish was 35 EUR but it tasted just amazing! The steak was about 3cm high and was perfectly done and the ravioly.... OMG! After that we had a dessert of traditional povidltascherl - which can be described as large, potato dough ravioly filled with plum jam and covered with layer of poppy and melted butter. Delicious and yes, filling. With couple of coffees and couple of large apple sodas, total bill 100 EUR. Not a cheap lunch, but very memorable. But their standard menu is priced at midium level, so definitely affordable.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Dafne07
Orinda
“BEWARE”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I recently has dinner at Appiano. Usually I am writing a wi=onderful review butnot this time and it has nothing to do with the food. When we returned home and received our credit card bill we noticed a discrepancy in our amount and the amount on the credit card bill. After reporting this to our credit card company it now appears that Appiano changed our signed bill to reflect a higher charge. My card company has now filed a proper complaint. It is not the $ amount involved but the principle of the situation. SO BEWARE

Visited September 2012
3 Thank MichaelKOrinda
London, United Kingdom
“Grotesque Service. What a Pity.....”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am not usually one to post reviews but this is important.
I was very excited to have found this place for a spot of lunch and a glass of rotwein before heading back to London after a business meeting. First impression was terrific; a very atmospheric and cosy den. The menu and wine list was interesting and the amuse bouche was delicious.
Sadly, the experience nose dived into freefall thereafter - all because of the behaviour of the waiters serving my table which was, in two words, grossly dishonest.
I travel a lot on business and always relish the opportunity to sniff out local gems to eat and drink at. I am used to quirky service which often adds to the experience. At Appiano, however, I was lied to, cheated and met with arrogance of the most unpleasant kind (said individual was evidently more impressed by his appearance than his want to be honest & curtious).
It's a tragic shame as this place has the potential to be special. Ultimately, however, it left such a sour taste in my mouth I certainly won't be going back and will not be recommending to freinds, colleagues or guests at any of the three hotels to which I am associated in Vienna.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Zoletta77
Frankfurt, Germany
“Very good Austrian food in a charming old Gasthaus”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed there for lunch and had a table at the small garden on the sidewalk. The food (Kalbsbraten, Wiener Schnitzel - amongst the best you can get in Vienna) was very good, the service excellent and very friendly. Although prices are at the higher end, we enjoyed our stay very much and will come back next time we visit Vienna.

• Visited September 2012