“BEWARE”

Neighborhood: Inner City
Orinda
“BEWARE”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I recently has dinner at Appiano. Usually I am writing a wi=onderful review butnot this time and it has nothing to do with the food. When we returned home and received our credit card bill we noticed a discrepancy in our amount and the amount on the credit card bill. After reporting this to our credit card company it now appears that Appiano changed our signed bill to reflect a higher charge. My card company has now filed a proper complaint. It is not the $ amount involved but the principle of the situation. SO BEWARE

Visited September 2012
3 Thank MichaelKOrinda

• Thai first
London, United Kingdom
“Grotesque Service. What a Pity.....”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am not usually one to post reviews but this is important.
I was very excited to have found this place for a spot of lunch and a glass of rotwein before heading back to London after a business meeting. First impression was terrific; a very atmospheric and cosy den. The menu and wine list was interesting and the amuse bouche was delicious.
Sadly, the experience nose dived into freefall thereafter - all because of the behaviour of the waiters serving my table which was, in two words, grossly dishonest.
I travel a lot on business and always relish the opportunity to sniff out local gems to eat and drink at. I am used to quirky service which often adds to the experience. At Appiano, however, I was lied to, cheated and met with arrogance of the most unpleasant kind (said individual was evidently more impressed by his appearance than his want to be honest & curtious).
It's a tragic shame as this place has the potential to be special. Ultimately, however, it left such a sour taste in my mouth I certainly won't be going back and will not be recommending to freinds, colleagues or guests at any of the three hotels to which I am associated in Vienna.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Zoletta77
Frankfurt, Germany
“Very good Austrian food in a charming old Gasthaus”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed there for lunch and had a table at the small garden on the sidewalk. The food (Kalbsbraten, Wiener Schnitzel - amongst the best you can get in Vienna) was very good, the service excellent and very friendly. Although prices are at the higher end, we enjoyed our stay very much and will come back next time we visit Vienna.

• Visited September 2012
Minneapolis, MN
“Wonderful atmosphere, well-prepared food”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We tried Appiano based on other reviews and enjoyed ourselves very much. The restaurant is in an old historical building on a quiet side-street near the University of Vienna. It is comfortable, atmospheric and charming. The staff feels like family. They are attentive, very polite and efficient. We enjoyed the appetizers very much, the unusual parsley-root soup with a bloodwurst croquette was simply delicious as were the home-made ravioli. We started with a kind of ratatouille gaspachio as an "amuse bouche." on the house. The limited list of entress were a bit of a letdown after such a great start, though still delicious. Evidently the menu changes frequently if not daily. Boned 1/2 chicken cooked like a Wiener Schnitzel was light, crispy, tender and tasty, but ultimately a little dull. The wild-caught Wolfsbarsch (seabass) on a bed of sauteed spinach and unusual orange-tuna ravioli was somewhat more successful. Two other entrees were both U.S. beef--a treat perhaps for Austrians, but not likely to impress Americans abroad. The bloodwurst entre was for specialized tastes. However this is being a bit picky. I wish we could give half-stars, because I would add another half-star to this overall review.

• Visited September 2012
Bergen
“Tasteful interior and great food”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I had a lovely meal here before going to the Burgtheater, and I am determined to return upon our next visit to Vienna, actually I would love to eat my way through the whole menu! The food is excellent and well worth the extra expense, compared to cheaper viennese dining options. The place is tucked away in a side street and the outside dining area is facing a boring office building, but indoors the restaurant is really tastefully decorated and very intimate.

• Visited July 2012