“umimpressed”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had the eierschwammerl at lunch. This is an egg with mushrooms mix. Was not bad, but at 12.70 Euro I could have eaten better.

2  Thank mh972

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Zum Scherer was recommended by the proprietor of our Pension. Located in a very interesting site in Judenplatz next to a moving monument to the Jews lost to the Holocaust. We arrived an odd hour but were welcomed. The menu is limited to a few traditional Austrian favorites. Two days after our first visit, we returned and were greeted like old friends by the waiter, who remembered our names and shook our hands. Among the dishes we enjoyed were calf's liver, a house speciality, and white asperagus, which was in season at the time. Prices are moderate. If we ever find our way to Vienna again, we would happily return.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had high hopes for Zum Scherer, based on Rick Steves' review. Found the food just okay -- re-ally, Vienna's standards are higher -- and the much lauded waiter to be rather arrogant. A complication is that our party speaks German, but the waiter didn't seem to believe us and insisted on giving us English menus, and telling us about the specials only in English (and leaving out several that were posted in front of the restaurant, in German). He seemed quite annoyed that we did not wish to sit in the smoking room. Location is great, and I expect we somehow hit a bad night.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent meal here last evening - I had venison sausages, she had sautéed calf's liver in a Calvados sauce. The wine we chose, an Austrian DAC, was superb. We certainly plan on returning before we leave Vienna.

1  Thank Jerry H
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My partner and I came across this restaurant on a cold and snowy February night. Dinner here was one of the highlights of our stay in Vienna. The food and wine were excellent, prices reasonable, and the Greek-Austrian waiter very friendly and personable. He spoke fondly of his time working in the U.S. and we had a great philosophical conversation on the mentality of Austrians and the country's role in European culture and politics. Beisl zum Scherer is located on the quiet Judenplatz and I'd highly recommend it for its romantic ambience and authentic Austrian cuisine. Will definitely drop by for another meal next time I'm in Vienna.

1  Thank GlobetrotterJustin