“superb hotel in Vienna”

Ranked #30 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Los Angeles, California
“superb hotel in Vienna”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Conveniently situated, close to ring, trams, underground. Rooms large. Service is outstanding by helpful, knowledgeable staff. Rooms clean, beds comfortable. Breakfast absolutely awesome. I would certainly return to this hotel next trip to Vienna.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind words to all staff, our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
Alexander Moj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Tirana, Albania
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Excellent location near city center easily accessed, very kind and friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms with amazing view of the city, free of charge minibar and internet, nice restaurant and relaxing facilities. Very good hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank IrenaG1
Memphis, TN
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I usually like to stay right in the heart of the city, so when booking this hotel I thought that it may be slightly too far "off the beaten track" for my liking....I was wrong! The Sofitel is in the perfect location. It is in a very walkable distance to all of the major attractions and public transportation. Pros: very clean; the staff was very nice; free water and juice in the mini bar; Hermes bath products; big relaxing bathtub; the views are amazing; really like the fact that when you leave the room and take your room key out of the switch holder, all electrical to the room is switched off....very energy efficient.
Cons: the mattress didn't offer the best support for my personal preference

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SouthMain
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Regarding the mattress we will be more than happy to remove the MyBed Mattress Cover as this is what makes the MyBed so soft.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed last Dec, for a long weekend before Xmas. We choose a white room, which was upgraded, as it was a special occasion. The service as excellent, good location, we were able to walk to to all the places we wanted to go. The rest the metro station was opposite the hotel very close.
Had dinner in the Restaurant "Le Loft" on the top floor twice, and stopped for drinks. Amazing views, and food was excellent. Did goto use the pool on night was not as good as the pictures suggest.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dipeshmak
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive quotation.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, as well as the restaurant “Le Loft”.
I have forwarded your comment concerning the Spa to our Spa Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. Having arrived through the modern and dark foyer, but lovely also clean and beautifully smelling, i was surprised to be shown to our room which was totally white!! it was the most glorious room i have ever stayed in. Bose sound system great TV (not that i watch much on holiday) but nice to know i can. Amazing facilities, bath, two sinks matching, wet room and separate loo. With sliding glass screens to close off at night. AND big mirrors to see me in! An enormous picture wall of glass overlooking Vienna! just idyllic.

Really thick blackout curtains as and when needed for night. Well stocked mini bar all complimentary (water and juice) coffee and tea to make in a coffee maker - instructions easy to use- even my computer illiterate husband found it easy! We used both the kingsize double beds, and every night! towels were gorgeous and soft and white and all toiletries from Hermes.
Everything and more was supplied and the spa also was great. Areas for couples, singles families
nothing forgotten - attention to detail great. Lounge areas, views.. etc etc

The staff were amazingly good. Efficient , fast and friendly. The concierge the best ever!! Wolfgang, ask for him by name. He is proud to be of service. Does a fantastic job and is passionate in his role.

Le Loft was lovely at breakfast could have kept me there for life! service a little slow on occasion depending on who was working. but i have to say the only let down was the chefs for dinner at night!

I say this as I know a little about fine dining. I am lucky enough to have several friends who are michelin star chefs.
If I am to be frank, I could not say that the dinner in Le Loft was anything like fine dining!

To be un - greedy, we ordered the 4 course taster menu. We had a complimentary extra course which was good. Next the first course - not bad. Then the bad news…. we sent back the next two plates as they were dry, over salted to the point of us needing water to stop the choking and otherwise tasteless!

They did ask us what the trouble was and i had to say…
after an hour they returned with a different plate which we had said not to do .. they insisted - it was just as poor. We simply left it and were about to leave when they came back again and tried to buy us out with with two pink soufflés … we were aghast as we actually dislike soufflés…. and pink!

They then brought over some more deserts likened to that which i can only think i would expect to find in iceland! (if i ever shopped there - NOT)

They refused to allow us to leave without coffee and at this point we just refused and got up to leave.

Conclusion? they had the gaul to charge us!! we complained and after a day of negotiating from Wolfgang and the hotel manager, the restaurant manager consented to give us a 50% refund.
Good job he wasn't in not that day or he may have "felt" my disgust!

Anyhow I might look for another hotel just like that but with a good chef next time, as I would have liked to return with friends to that style of holiday but am very fussy about my food! so will think twice. They sent me a survey to report my thoughts and as you can imagine - i did.

However i received a polite reply today from the complaints manager or somebody, saying how sorry he was but actually not sorry enough to DO anything about it but to inform me that he told the chef!! Im am soooo pleased! - you think??
So a thumbs down over all but nice try .. one day they may get it right!!

Room Tip: if you like a huge room go for a slight increase in price and take a double deluxe room! i did and i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mskini
Alexander M, General Manager at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, June 13, 2016
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment about the hotel and our restaurant.
I regret that your dinner experience and the handling afterwards were disappointing.
We were aware that we needed to improve our restaurant back then “Le Loft”. Since Mai 2015 we worked out a new concept and more importantly we gained a high class chef de cuisine with Fabian Günzel. We introduced a new sharing model and with the renewal of the entire restaurant and bar “Das Loft” we are pleased to offer a new fine dining experience in on our 18th floor.

I hope do welcome you back some time in order to convince you from our high standard of service and new restaurant.
Kind regards,
Montreal
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

The staff is excellent. The room large and comfortable and the 18th floor restaurant very good. The building seen from the outside is uniformly grey. Inside its outright dark- so dark that for someone suffering from night blindness it becomes a problem in some hallways and elevators. The room is various shades of grey, not a splash of color anywhere. Some practical problems: the main phone is placed in a very awkward spot, above the bed. Hard to see the various buttons. The volume on the main set and the handset were set so low as to make the speaker inaudible. The instructions for the coffee machine were incomplete and there were no instructions for a system to indicate whether you don't want to be disturbed or not. The thermostat for heating/ air conditioning did not work. And not sure I appreciate having the bathtub in the room itself. Location is good though. Modern it is but no charm whatsoever.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive quotation.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room and the “Le Loft” restaurant on the top floor.
I am very sorry to read that instruction of the in room services were not given to you. I have informed the front office Manager about your experienced.