“bright and high”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Sofitel is located near the Danube not far from the famous ice-cream EIS.
The hotel is modern the room is all white and breakfast is served on the 18th floor.
The view is wonderful.
Great value for money experience.
I will certainly be back.

Room Tip: one can choose the side of the prater wheel which faces the vineyard or the Danube
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork”.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back soon.
Alexander Moj

Write a ReviewReviews (2,169)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Overall this is a good hotel hence the score, but I would choose another five star hotel.

We were celebrating our one-year wedding anniversary. On arrival, the front desk informed us that we could get a good offer on an updated room. This of course got our hopes up. We were shown pictures of a junior suite on an iPad. Since we liked the room, we asked what it would cost. We were informed of the price and I started subtracting what we had already paid, but no. Since we had had paid through eXpedia they would not subtract what we had already paid. At this point, I could not believe that a five star hotel would seriously try to sell us two rooms, so I asked again to clarify. The front desk then informed us that since they can`t see what we`ve paid they could not subtract the amount. At this point, I had to ask him if he was serious on trying to sell us two rooms at more than full price. I find it rude that the staff tried to push two rooms at a higher price level then it would cost if I booked online.

Luckily, we liked the room we had booked and the bellboy was very professional.

Rooms: Spacious, and you have enough closet space. Mini bar is free. You get still/sparkling water and juice.

Bathroom: Excellent, and has the same as other five star hotels except no body lotion.

Restaurant: Did not live up to our expectation, but has a nice view and good sommelier.

Concierge: What concierge? We saw him once before leaving.

Service: Belove average.

Conclusion: It has all the amenities of a five star hotel, but not the ambience. Choose another hotel.

3  Thank Karl K

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room and its amenities.
I will forward your kind word to the sommelier of the bar, as this is the best motivation.
I have as well forwarded your comment about your check in experience to our front office Manager, who will investigate on the happening.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in our “living Artwork”.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our first stay in Vienna and we chose a great, modern hotel. The Sofitel is just across the canal and within walking distance to all of the sights in old town. It is a beautiful hotel, very modern and sleek. We stayed in the white room which was gorgeous. The bathrooms are a delight! Finally, a hotel that provides FREE water and juice in your room! Nice amenities as well. The only drawback was price-everything from coffee in the am (if you don't make it in your room you have to order room service) to choosing different rooms with different colors involved significant costs. The spa was very expensive (150 euros for basic massage). Service, however, was excellent. Would definitely stay here again.

Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and would definitely stay here again.
I have forwarded your feedback concerning the different prices in the hotel to our Director of Operations, as your comment is very important to us and will be discussed in the team.
I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Even after a few years, when you start seeing the wear and tear here and there (especially in the white rooms, when wite is not white anymore), it's a nice hotel (the building/rooms) where we used to stay during our Vienna trips.

The big issues seems to be services.

Bed linen was dirty (blood stains & many black dark spots) and had wholes twice during our stay and the maid didn't care to put this dirty linen on our bed.

Also if you're a tourist on a weekend trip, you're in trouble: They enforce a very strict dress code in their bar, if you enter the bar (the one and only in this hotel) at 6.15 pm in a nice polo shirt, nice shoes and bermuda shorts (at an outside temperature of 37 degree), the lady at the entrance will let you know in a rude and strict tone that you are not complying to their dress code and therefore have to leave - no matter that you are a paying hotel guest and there is no other option to drink something at this hotel.
The manager on duty explained to us - again in a arrogant and snobbish fashion without giving any alternative option - that you are supposed to wear a shirt and long pants to enter the bar, as it's directly in the middle their restaurant.

My resumee after 4 days: This hotel is clearly not for tourists (if you aren't running around in your black suit on a weekend trip at 37 degrees - I'm not), their serivces and cleanliness of the room (especially the bed) if far from where the staff thinks it is. The hotel is not on the usual Sofitel standard.

Room Tip: Hotel not suitable for tourist - business / high Society is welcome only
3  Thank rrhunter

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment.
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay in our “Living Artwork”.
I can assure you that we enjoy tourists in the hotel and therefore I feel very sorry that you felt unwelcomed.
I have forwarded your comments to our Director of Operations, who will check with Housekeeping and the bar about the happenings. Even though we have a “smart casual” dress code for the evening in our restaurant & bar, which has a steady 22 degree room temperature, you should have definitely not being approached in a rude manner or strict tone.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced, as this does not reflect our high standard of service and quality.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back, in order to show our actual standard.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am frequent visitor to Vienna for 30 years and this is the best hotel in Vienna because of the excellent staff, really amazing staff, extreamly profissional and polite.I asked to meet the general manager to appreciate that,,Mr Moj ALexander, he is a real asset to the company..

The location is excellent..the view is amazing,,the breakfast is of the best quality food,,the room designe is so nice..very clean..the bed quality is luxury...The SO SPA IS the best in city..do not miss a massage with miss Anderea and miss Gabrila..you will love it and for sure would love to have it daily,, The SO SPA manager Miss Nadeine has excellent customer services skills..the treatment rooms are very nice...Mr. Wajdi at the loppy area is a wonderfull man will help you in all aspects..I hope to see him always in this hotel....it is not the same when he is off..
What ever I say is nothing comparing to the comfort I had...I extended my stay and also I changed my trip plan to stay again the last week of my holiday here end of August..my husband keeps saying this is the first time I like a hotel in Vienna,,Thank you Mr.ALexander and all staff..
Will list the names of the great staff I met sometime later...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It is my pleasure to forward your comments to all Ambassadors and especially to the SoSpa staff and Wagdy from the lobby.
I do hope to welcome you back soon in our “Living Artwork”!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great front of house staff in this hotel. Luggage and car whisked away without a hitch.

Had a great white room on a high floor with a lovely bath in the corner. Free mini bar always good.

Water, sweets and a hand writing note on front seat of car was a very nice touch.

The let down for me was the breakfast which was very basic and the staff did not clear away plates. Also no turndown even though I had put on the make up room light. For a 5 star hotel it was a little slack. For this part I would only award average

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
I will forward your nice words to all staff members, our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I am very sorry for the inconveniences experienced during breakfast and with the turndown service. I have immediately contacted the managers in charge, as this does not reflect our high standard of quality.
I hope to welcome you back soon in our “Living Artwork”.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very modern, high spec hotel. The rooms have been recently refurbished, all in white with fantastic view. Fabulous walk in shower, Nespresso machine and two types of pillows to choose from. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will forward your friendly comments to all our staff, the Ambassadors as it is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.