“Flawless!”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very modern, high spec hotel. The rooms have been recently refurbished, all in white with fantastic view. Fabulous walk in shower, Nespresso machine and two types of pillows to choose from. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will forward your friendly comments to all our staff, the Ambassadors as it is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Alexander Moj

Write a ReviewReviews (2,143)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

BRIEF SUMMARY: This 182-room Sofitel was designed by world-famous architect Jean Nouvel, opening in December 2010. The contemporary landmark's high windows overlook the Danube Canal with skyline views of Vienna's District 1 (the old Vienna) and the newer 2nd District, site of the hotel. Just a short walk over the canal bridge leads you to mass transportation, if needed, and a 15-minute slow walk to the Stephanplatz.

ARCHITECT NOUVEL'S CONCEPT: His four basic elements are black, white, reflection, and transparency. All rooms result from this interplay (& seen in the windows, sliding screens, and reflective surfaces). Rooms on the west facade are all black, on the southern facade are all gray, and on the northern side are all white. I mean ALL surfaces are the same color. No adornments but the wall art of Alain Bony & Henri Labiole who Nouvel commissioned to make each room unique. Don't expect paintings, but pencil strokes on the wall--with some rooms having words.

MY STAY: Five nights (July 31 - August 5, 2013) in room 1507 (15th floor)--a white room with a northern view. The room is within the second price tier--Superior Queen.

STAFF: My hearfelt thanks to all of the staff for impeccable service. I give a special shout-out to Steve at the front desk who arranged some very difficult maneuvers for us. All of the staff were exquisitely polite and helpful. Extraordinary service.

MY ROOM: My totally white room lived large in minimum space. One simple, easy to pull drape system closes the room windows to almost dark (during the day). The room is cleverly arranged on the linear for both bathroom area and suitcase/closet area. Suitcases sit on a stack of drawers between two closets--eliminates floor clutter. The two closets have auto-lighting when opened and inside are Yves Delorme robes and two pairs slippers which make the white painted floors comfortable. Included in this line of storage is a safe, upper minibar, lower Nespresso area. Water (both still and sparkling) & fruit juices are free, as is the Nespresso choice of coffees and tea, stocked daily. A Bose 'Wave' music system/clock sits beneath.

The flat-screen wall-mounted tv sits on the wall opposite the bed with a pull-down desk below it equipped with plugs to allow movie-watching from your own computer.

Wi-fi is free (a paid service is also available). Trouble with our service brought the technician who promptly arrived and fixed the problem. The desk situated near the windows is equipped with several outlets/internet/data ports and two long low tables for stashing anything you desire, keeping the room neat. Nearby is a comforable reading chair and floor lamp.

The bed : Queen-size, a featherbed on top of a great mattress with high-quality sheets (Yves Delorme) gave restful sleep. After touring all day, sinking down into this bed was heaven. Four down pillows accompanied it. The hotel has a range of pillows for you to choose if these don't suit--just call. All linens and even the bed are available to buy through Sofitel's line called "SoBoutique" (pamphlet in the room).

Two long side tables serve the bedsides--more than adequate space. Both bed sides have wall-mounted lamps for reading. I found them a bit dim but my husband thought they were fine--didn't disturb the person wanting to sleep.

BATHROOM: Also linear, the bathroom is walled off from the bedroom by translucent screens pulled across when needed. As with the bedroom area, all surfaces are white Corian seamlessy joined to the white painted floor and walls. Mirrors abound. The oversized soaking tub sits nearest to the windows (translucent in this area) with it's own moving vanity and ottoman. Then comes the two-sink vanity area (unique sinks) with loads of open storage, convenient plug, and a wall-mounted magnifying mirror. This linear concept allows natural light into this vanity area--great for putting on make-up. The large shower comes next, with bench and rain shower as well as the traditional hand shower. Last in the line is a separate toilet room with it's own sink.

All toiletries (scented soaps, body gel, shampoo, and conditioner) are provided by Hermes.

ROOM SERVICE (24 hrs): I ordered dinner one night and it arrived within 15 minutes. The menu is not large, but adequate and delicious. Bringing your dog? Well, three items on the menu will satisfy Fido: dog biscuits (10 euro), dog treats (10 euro), or tartare with vegetables & rice (25 euro).

LAUNDRY: had two shirts washed (7 euros each). Prompt service.

CLEAN THE ROOM: on the wall outside of the room are two lights (red and green). A push of the button inside the room will signal the maid to either stay away or promptly clean the room. Nice touch!

OTHER HOTEL AMENITIES: Fifth-floor spa offers a full menu of treatments. A free Jacuzzi and hammam with eucalyptus steam is there, as well as a gym and 'rest areas' in the soaring atrium.

The Floor 1 library offers two large computer desks, tables and chairs. Good books on architecture and art, some novels adorn this quiet and peaceful retreat.

RESTAURANTS:

LE LOFT: This 18th floor restaurant and bar leaves one breathless with the double-height windows and the 360 view of the city. The unique four season ceiling is designed by Swiss artist Pipilotti Rist--here it's fall leaves. Round video installations at various places lend motion and color.

The buffet breakfast is served here, with six stations inset into the gray half-wall, offering a variety of breakfast foods. For hot dishes, you can order from the kitchen. Staff is efficient, bringing you coffee or tea. International daily newpapers are laid out for your morning read.

Dinner at Le Loft is a special treat. Not inexpensive, but worth at least one meal to experience the efficiency of gloved waiters and the one-star Michelin chef's delightful menu. After appetizers, I chose the chef's specialty--frogs legs coupled with a ravioli-like pasta--all delicious. My husband ordered leg of lamb, but a better cut arrived--also delicious. Desserts--a must. Try the "Mango Egg", the chef's concoction of a large, smooth, shiny golden sugar shell. Break it open to find a combination of coconut ice cream and mango cream. So wonderful that I hope it's offered when I come again. Wine, meal, and dessert for two came to 237.50 euros.

LE K-FE BISTRO: open 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. for a quick breakfast/lunch or between meal snack.

The hotel abuts a modern mall. French botanical artist Patrick Blanc designed "The Green Wall"--a 600 sq. meter art installation of 20,000 plant species set vertically. This hides the fire wall of the neighboring building. It's a vertical forest of lush plant life, seen from the hotel's lobby.

SUMMARY: I laud Sofitel to trust great architect Jean Nouvel (who thinks "outside the box") to build this hotel. The hotel is a testament to great planning and full of wonderful surprises. It's an absolute delight to the tourist or business person who values quality, comfort, peace & quiet, but also delights in something different. I will return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Try to get a high room for skyline views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank TrishHWashington_DC
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed comment about the hotel
Your feedback is a great summary and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the artwork done by the architect Jean Nouvel.
I will forward your positive feedback to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I am happy to read that you have the intention of visiting us again.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you are looking for best combination of old ,traditional city and a super modern hotel
This is the hotel
I would grade it perfect !!!
A 15 minutes easy walk to the pedestrian street in the "innere stadt"
We stayed one night in a luxury room over looking the Stephan's Dom
The architecture of the hotel is super high tech with good consideration for the guests
The breakfast on the 18th fl starts your day more relax
The Nesspresso machine with the variety of flavors
The gray interior of the room in perfect last finish touch
The Spa area a must see
The staff is friendly and helpful I have to mention the receptionist Mark who was welcoming us and was so helpful ,the concierge was so knowledgable
It seems like the staff selection and training was done professionally
I'definitly will visit Sofitel Vienna again

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mikmak48

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind words to all Ambassadors and especially to Mark from the reception.
I hope to welcome you back soon in our “Living Artwork”.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The second we arrived, we were treated with nothing but the utmost respect and friendliness! The ambassadors are absolutely amazing and will go the extra mile to make sure your stay is complete. They are all genuine, kind and extremely helpful. No matter what time of day or night, I was always greeted by a friendly face upon my return to the hotel. The personal touch of being addressed by name also was a nice surprise.
We stayed in the Prestige Suite, and going to bed with a view of Stephansdom was absolutely unforgettable. Breakfast in Le Loft was beautiful, and I never once got sick of the insane view of Vienna!
A very special thanks to Wagdy and Alexander in the concierge who I can personally say, made my experience at the Sofitel unforgettable. They made sure that we were happy, and they were super helpful and caring. I truly miss them and saying hi to them every day. My family and I wish them well and hope to see them again the next time we are in Vienna, since we already know where we are staying next time!

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the Prestige Suite! The view is absolutely unforgettable, and it is a wonderful...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your truly positive comment.
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
It is my pleasure to forward you kind words to all Ambassadors and especially to Alex and Wagdy, as this is the best motivation for them.
I hope to welcome you back soon in opur “Living Artwork”.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

From the moment our car was taken by valet parking and we were told our luggage would be taken to our room; we were treated exceptionally in this amazingly beautiful hotel. Every single member of staff could not do enough for us and made our stay truly special. On arrival we were offered an upgrade to a bigger, superior room with panoramic views of the city. I am so glad we agreed as the room took our breath away; it was so elegant; the modern design and luxury fittings made our stay so enjoyable. Most of the classic rooms are apparently all white in colour, but the larger rooms were all grey. I wasn't sure at first on the description, but we were so glad we did upon entering - it was so luxurious! The bathroom area was open to the room featuring light grey slate moulded fittings, an open monsoon shower (soo good!) and a sliding door across the bathroom area to separate from the very large bedroom if you desired.

The concierge also recommended dinner in a restaurant within walking distance that was perfect for us - it was an historic inn called Grieschenbeisl (one of the oldest in Vienna), that served excellent, authentic Viennese food, had a gorgeous terrace to eat outside, and served until quite late. The restaurant deserves a review of its own as the service and food were again outstanding.

Back to The Loft for a nightcap was in itself another breathtaking experience, the panoramic views of Vienna at night coupled with the beautiful decor inside, were stunning. Again, the staff were incredibly attentive, friendly and made us feel at home completely.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Sofitel in Vienna again, and our stay in fact caused us to continue booking Sofitel hotels for the remainder of our road trip through Europe.

Thank you so much, Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom; I cannot wait to come back!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a larger, superior room if possible - the views and decor are worth every addi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JulieClareLewis
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your enthusiastic description of our hotel and the service you experienced.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind feedback to the staff, our Ambassadors.
I am confident that the rest of your trip through Europe and your stay at other Sofitels was also most enjoyable.
I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

On arrival we were offered an upgrade to a Junior white suite against payment. Seems as a Platinum Card does not mean much obviously. Nevertheless the suite was very modern and we did not regret. The breakfast at Le Loft on the top floor was quality wise very good and service wise outstanding! Very attentive staff, especially at the restaurant. Parking is a bit complicated as Sofitel has reserved space on the third basement floor and the way downstairs can be tight for bigger cars. Use the Valet parking service. The drink invitation to the lounge arrived too late so we had to pay for our drinks there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay and I am glad you enjoyed yourself.

It is of the utmost importance to us that our Platinum Le Club guests can enjoy the benefits of the program. I apologize for the misunderstanding caused in relation to your room category. It appears that based on the room category you originally booked, a junior suite would have represented a double-upgrade. The junior suite offered upon check in was intended as an additional offer in order to enhance your experience with us.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 16 nights and the staff at the reception, especially Lennart and Wolfgang did not save any effort to make me feel at home.it was the best experience I ever had for such a long stay in 1 place.
I had a beautiful room on the 17th floor and the view is fabulous. Very clean room and a super comfy bed. The restaurant on the 18th floor was very trendy with of course spectacular views.I had dinner there and the food was excellent. The maitre and sommelier were very helpful.
I will select this hotel again when I go back to Vienna. A must in Vienna and close to major public transportation to visit the city.

Room Tip: Choose for white room on higher level for city views
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the dinner in our Le Loft Restaurant.
I will forward your kind words to all Ambassadors and especially to Lennart and Wolfgang, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.