“we LOVED our stay, it was perfect”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #29 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
London, United Kingdom
“we LOVED our stay, it was perfect”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Sofitel Vienna around Christmas 2012 and absolutely loved it. The crisp white modern rooms were well designed and inspiring - with an amazing view. The space felt so calm and relaxing due to design and layout. The bathroom, separated from the room by sliding doors, felt sleek and with maximum use of space offered a bathtub as well as a shower. The bed was big, super comfy and we slept really well. Also, really important for us - the room was very clean.

Breakfast in Le Loft was nice, the view up there is just breathtaking. Dinner at Le Loft was even better, I appreciated the selection of austrian wines, it's rare to find them on a menu outside Austria! Service at both breakfast and dinner were very good. We visited the bar every night of our stay, also our friends who live in Vienna were impressed, as they haven't been there before. I can recommend the basil mojito, it's amazing. On the first day there was a bar manager that was a bit rude, but he wasn't there the following days.

On the whole we had a fantastic stay and we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor for a great view is recommended.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ItsCalledWanderlust
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork” as well as the restaurant Le Loft on the top floor.
I will forward your kind words about the service to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon in Vienna.
Kind regards,
Alexander Moj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I couldn't even imagine that Sofitel Vienna was that good when I decided to book my stay in Vienna there.
Besides the location, that is just great, in front of a subway station and the channel of Danube River, hotel's architecture is amazing in a very cosmopolitan way.
Hotel bar at the 18th floor has an unbelievable view of the city.
I stayed in a very good room not only with a great view of the river, but also large enough for my needs.
Hotel staff was also very kind, being right there for assisting you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lbezas
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you are happy with choosing Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom.
I will forward your kind words to all our Ambassadors.
Brasilia, Df
Reviewed July 11, 2013

You either like sleek modern or you don't. If you do (or if you don't mind either way but value tremendous service and excellent accommodation) then stay here. It's brilliant.
Unfortunately I only had one night. As a A-Club gold card holder I was upgraded to a luxury room on the 13th floor with a great view of the city. All in grey, the room looked wonderful and I had a perfect night's sleep (as ever in Sofitel beds).
Service is exemplary - a real feature of Sofitels overall - at reception (about the best I've experienced), bar, breakfast, lobby, everything. Breakfast was very good and unlike some previous reviewers, I had no problem getting a table with a view at 08.30.
The location is very good too. You're close to just about everything (but then Vienna isn't too big, the Innere Stadt anyway).
I've nearly always stayed at K&K in Vienna and they're excellent too - but this place is so special that on my return to the city, it's where I'll stay. Highly recommended, and make sure to have a drink in the bar at night, the ceiling and views are pretty cool.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view over the city, especially if you're there in the summer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JeffStranks
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your outstanding feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the Design of our hotel.
I will forward your kind words to all our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Check in:

In one word….PERFECT. The hotel vehicle collected us from the airport so they knew exactly when we would arrive. We were met by the hotel staff who told us about the facilities of the hotel and gave us his card with his details in case we needed anything. Check-in was done within 2 minutes and that’s exactly what you want after a long flight.

Food:

Menu was decent but needs improvement.

Rooms:

Grey, black or white. These are the choices you have. We had the prestige suite which was grey in color. By grey I mean all grey, with grey walls, grey bed, grey tables…..you get the picture. It was a bit too contemporary for my liking but I didn’t mind. The suite was of a decent size and clean which is the main thing.

Service:

Where do I begin? I have never experienced service as I did at this hotel. Not just 1 or 2 but everyone went out of their way for you. Just to give you an example, I wanted a sim card for my phone so I asked the hotel. I expected a usual answer, giving me directions, instead I got the gentleman offering to walk with me to the place. I told him I can manage and still he was kind enough to come out of the hotel and give me directions. Apart from this the hotel staff was always helpful and were eager to assist you. Such small things really do make a difference.

Overall:

Unfortunately our stay at Sofitel was cut short as we had friends staying at a different hotel so we had to move there. Even though the rooms like I said were a bit contemporary for me, I still didn't want to move. I doubt that any hotel gives service like this one. A special thank you to Kristina who I bombarded with over 2 dozen emails before checking in with my queries and who always replied promptly and to Marie who helped me with the earlier than expected checkout. Even though we only stayed here for 2 nights, the hotel and its staff grew on us and they will be missed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the experience of “living in an Artwork” by Jean Nouvel.
I have forwarded your comments to our Director of Operations, who will discuss your mentioned points with all Managers in charge.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind words to all Ambassadors and especially to Kristina and Marie. This is the best motivation one can get.
Yaroslavl, Russia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

this hotel was the cleanest i ever had chance to stay :) maybe coz its was so white so nice so fresh and new, i stayed there 4 days and i still dreaming to be back one day,,,the room service was fast too. i slept like a baby on this white sheets:P bathroom was awsome

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am delighted to read that you had such a great time in our Living Art Work. I hope that you will visit us soon again and we will do everything to make sure that you once again can sleep like a baby!

Best regards

Koksijde Bad, Belgium
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Spending some time in Vienna is always nice. Having a room on the 15th floor of Sofitel Wien as a starting base makes it even more great. A very modern design room with a fully integrated bathroom, great quality of furniture, a perfect bed,....15th floor is not that far from heaven. Yet , the restaurant is even nearer to heaven. Having your (great) breakfast with a vieuw on the Stephansdom , is there a better way to start your day? The staff is absolutely great. The hospitality manager has his team organised that your wishes are fulfilled before you think of them....

Room Tip: try room 1510...and enjoy the vieuw.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words about your stay in our Living Art Work. I am delighted to read that you had a great time. I will be more than happy to inform all of our Ambassadors, and in particular our Guest Relations Manager, of your nice comments. Your positive feedback is the best motivation.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.
Best regards