“Review by a travel professional”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #29 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
London, United Kingdom
“Review by a travel professional”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As we knew most of the hotels in Vienna already, we were very keen to see the Sofitel Vienna. Unfortunately it turned out to be a big disappointment. They call it “Living in an Artwork”! It’s a very minimalistic experience, which in our opinion is nice to see, but not to stay. The rooms are cold and not inviting at all. You can feel that it is the vision of an individual artist, but the practicality of the room has not been well thought through. Most of the high tech features were not working. Free Wi-Fi was disconnecting all the time, the IPod connection was not working and so on. In addition we had a very bad experience at breakfast. On both days, the buffet was empty, finished by the previous guests. When we asked if it would be re-filled, the answer was “we will re-fill it when we have time”. The excuse was, that they had a group of 60 people in house which had “cleaned” the buffet. Really? On both days? And a hotel with over 180 rooms, cannot handle a group of 60 guests for breakfast? It was just painful to see and the service was unexceptionally rude.

My suggestion is, unless you are a very creative person and you get inspired by something different and unusual, choose another hotel. Especially when you are a business traveller, this hotel would be the wrong place to stay. There are so many good 5 star hotels in Vienna within the same price class, which offer a much better, safer and more reliable product than the Sofitel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank MKLON72
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy the architecture of Jean Nouvel and the experience of “Living in an Artwork”.
It is correct that he has a vanguard and minimalistic style, which does not reflect everybody’s taste.
I have immediately informed our technical Manager about the features in your room which were not working correctly.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during breakfast. It did not reflect our usual high standard of quality and service, therefore I have contacted our Director of Operations in order to check on the Ambassadors and the situation you explained.
I hope to welcome you back again, to show you how service and quality is practiced at its best in our house.
William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband was in Vienna for a conference and since price wasn't such an issue we stayed here. We had a superior room which was a modern design and very comfortable. The location is good easy walking to the town centre and close to the U-bahn. Both conceirages I dealt with were extreming helpful and organised restaurant and sightseeing tours for me. If we return will definitely stay at the Sofetel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork”.
I will forward your kind words to our Ambassadors and especially to the concierge, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you soon back with us.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very nice hotel to stay close to the city centre of Vienna.The room was very comfortable and stylish. Felt like home. Service was very good. Haven't used the facilities and therefore can't say much about them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comment on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and felt like home with us.
I will forward your positive comment about the Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Houston
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent a weekend in Vienna recently, staying at the Sofitel. It was excellent. We had a room overlooking all of Vienna!!! We also had breakfast in the "Le Loft". Food was excellent, view was magnificent. We did eat dinner in the restaurant too and that was very very good.

In summary, the hotel has rooms with a magnificent view. In addition, the staff were most helpful, and the hotel is a short walk from St Stephens and a very short walk from the subway, which takes you directly to Schonbrun. If planning a visit here check (first) on the Spanish Riding School. Watching the stallions and staying at the Sofitel is a wonderful combination.

Room Tip: It is worth asking for a view of the city
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and dinner at “le Loft” restaurant.
I will forward your comments to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place is brand new. It was designed by some famous French architect: it's ultra-modern and minimalist, but I loved it. The choice of rooms is simple: black, white, or grey. Everything is the same colour. I was in a white room, which was not my first choice (I wanted black so see what it was like to sleep in a comfy cave!). It was a bit sterile for my taste. But the sleep was really comfortable and the layout terrific. I also liked the ultra-modern fixtures and fittings. It may not be to everyone's taste, but you're after modern rather than baroque, you'll love it as much as I did!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the experience of “Living in an Artwork”.
It would be our pleasure to show you the other rooms, in order to find one that might better fit to you.
I will forward your kind words to all Ambassadors.
Kind regard from Vienna,
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is all brand new and extremely modern and luxurious. The Loft bar on the roof is absolutely amazing and definitely worth seeing!!
The room I stayed in was on high floor overlooking the Dome, the view was fantastic! This hotel has a very unique window arrangement with amazing views.
The bed is very comfortable and all the amenities which can be expected are present.
The rooms are very minimalistic, and the bathroom/shower are right in the room without any separations. I found it a bit weird and can't say it's very convenient, but it's a personal choice.
Overall, this Sofitel is quite an experience and a great choice for Vienna!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor room overlooking the Dome
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Savenich
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “living Artwork”!
I will forward you encouraging feedback to all Ambassadors.
Kind regards,
Moscow
Reviewed March 1, 2013

+ modern building, very stylish and trendy lobby and rooms (although one may find it a bit "cold" - as opposite to historical hotels in the city center)
+ located just outside of the Ring (it's actually across the bridge from Schwedenplatz U-Bahn station and tram №1 which goes around the "Ring", so the historical part of the city is easily reached in 10 minutes, as well as the Prater and Hundertwasser's House - also by tram №1, but only in opposite direction). It's not as crowded as the center itself, so the location is even better. There's also a Novotel just around the corner - for those with a more realistic budget. "Coffee Bean" is across the road to start the day, and for dinner I would strongly recommend to try Novotel's "Five Senses" restaurant, which is highly underestimated by many of its guests.
+ very well trained staff, including the most welcoming and charming concierge I have ever met. Attention and attitude were of a highest level, and this is what makes good hotels become great. Concierge and guest service staff did a great job to prepare my spouse's birthday celebration (room decoration, cake etc).
+ airport limo service charge was just a few EUR more than regular taxi, but huge black BMW was totally worth 40 EUR. Definitely recommended. (They also accept credit cards).

+/- classic (cheapest) and superior rooms are mostly the same, the only difference being the floor and the view. They mostly come in white color, while the luxury rooms are gray OR white, the difference again is the view to the cathedral or the Prater wheel. Originally I've booked the superior room, then was upgraded to luxury room because of the A-Club platinum status, and then paid extra 80 EUR per night for a Junior suite.
The suite was all white with a view to the wheel, but I can't say it was really worth it. It was like luxury room plus the living area which is only useful if you plan to throw a party there. Otherwise all the amenities were the same. (There's also a benefit of the free mini-bar, but it's stocked with juices and water - and you can buy lots of it for 80 EUR :).
Now, what I don't like about the "contemporary" style that became so increasingly popular in so many upscale new hotels, it's that the rooms are designed for "luxury living style" magazines, but not actually for living. The huge bathroom is open-plan, which means that it's cold almost everytime (and I won't mention the sliding glass doors that are great for couples but become a problem when staying with kids or colleagues). Very beautiful but complicated room lighting; stained panoramic windows; shower without a curtain or door, so that the water may flow free wherever it may want - this is useless type of design that is only beautiful on pictures, but totally inconvenient to stay in.

- the worst breakfast I have seen in Accor hotels (even Ibis). A very nice 17th floor view is great but it can't feed you. A tiny choice of muesli, pastry, ham, cheese, jogurt and a few types of fruit - it's a standard of 3 star hotel. Yes, the fresh orange juice was great; but why only orange? Intercontinental Warsaw offered like 5 or 7 different freshly squeezed juices, yet it was 3 times cheaper than Sofitel. I've stayed in a lower Accor brands like Ibis and Mercure - and they offered orange juice too, but the choice of food was greater. For some reason they don't have a cooking station, but instead offer various types of omelette and crepes a'la carte. Ok, fine, but it took 10-15 minutes to get my crepes ready, and to be honest, I didn't expect it to be one tiny crepe in the centre of a large plate. I didn't order waffles, but something tells me that there would be just one lonely waffle on the endlessly big plate, like they do it in Michelin restaurants...

Room Tip: even classic rooms are great, but white or black suite is very romantic
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thefall
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you had a wonderful experience in our “Living Artwork” and that the birthday celebration of your spouse was a success.
I have forwarded your kind words to all our Ambassadors and especially to our Concierge.
I am very sorry that the breakfast was not at your satisfaction, here as well I have forwarded your comment to our chef and Director of Operations in order to improve the breakfast and implement your ideas.