“great hotel with a very average breakfast”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Moscow
“great hotel with a very average breakfast”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

+ modern building, very stylish and trendy lobby and rooms (although one may find it a bit "cold" - as opposite to historical hotels in the city center)
+ located just outside of the Ring (it's actually across the bridge from Schwedenplatz U-Bahn station and tram №1 which goes around the "Ring", so the historical part of the city is easily reached in 10 minutes, as well as the Prater and Hundertwasser's House - also by tram №1, but only in opposite direction). It's not as crowded as the center itself, so the location is even better. There's also a Novotel just around the corner - for those with a more realistic budget. "Coffee Bean" is across the road to start the day, and for dinner I would strongly recommend to try Novotel's "Five Senses" restaurant, which is highly underestimated by many of its guests.
+ very well trained staff, including the most welcoming and charming concierge I have ever met. Attention and attitude were of a highest level, and this is what makes good hotels become great. Concierge and guest service staff did a great job to prepare my spouse's birthday celebration (room decoration, cake etc).
+ airport limo service charge was just a few EUR more than regular taxi, but huge black BMW was totally worth 40 EUR. Definitely recommended. (They also accept credit cards).

+/- classic (cheapest) and superior rooms are mostly the same, the only difference being the floor and the view. They mostly come in white color, while the luxury rooms are gray OR white, the difference again is the view to the cathedral or the Prater wheel. Originally I've booked the superior room, then was upgraded to luxury room because of the A-Club platinum status, and then paid extra 80 EUR per night for a Junior suite.
The suite was all white with a view to the wheel, but I can't say it was really worth it. It was like luxury room plus the living area which is only useful if you plan to throw a party there. Otherwise all the amenities were the same. (There's also a benefit of the free mini-bar, but it's stocked with juices and water - and you can buy lots of it for 80 EUR :).
Now, what I don't like about the "contemporary" style that became so increasingly popular in so many upscale new hotels, it's that the rooms are designed for "luxury living style" magazines, but not actually for living. The huge bathroom is open-plan, which means that it's cold almost everytime (and I won't mention the sliding glass doors that are great for couples but become a problem when staying with kids or colleagues). Very beautiful but complicated room lighting; stained panoramic windows; shower without a curtain or door, so that the water may flow free wherever it may want - this is useless type of design that is only beautiful on pictures, but totally inconvenient to stay in.

- the worst breakfast I have seen in Accor hotels (even Ibis). A very nice 17th floor view is great but it can't feed you. A tiny choice of muesli, pastry, ham, cheese, jogurt and a few types of fruit - it's a standard of 3 star hotel. Yes, the fresh orange juice was great; but why only orange? Intercontinental Warsaw offered like 5 or 7 different freshly squeezed juices, yet it was 3 times cheaper than Sofitel. I've stayed in a lower Accor brands like Ibis and Mercure - and they offered orange juice too, but the choice of food was greater. For some reason they don't have a cooking station, but instead offer various types of omelette and crepes a'la carte. Ok, fine, but it took 10-15 minutes to get my crepes ready, and to be honest, I didn't expect it to be one tiny crepe in the centre of a large plate. I didn't order waffles, but something tells me that there would be just one lonely waffle on the endlessly big plate, like they do it in Michelin restaurants...

Room Tip: even classic rooms are great, but white or black suite is very romantic
1 Thank Thefall
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you had a wonderful experience in our “Living Artwork” and that the birthday celebration of your spouse was a success.
I have forwarded your kind words to all our Ambassadors and especially to our Concierge.
I am very sorry that the breakfast was not at your satisfaction, here as well I have forwarded your comment to our chef and Director of Operations in order to improve the breakfast and implement your ideas.
I hope to welcome you soon again.
William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Netanya, Israel
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel is near the old town, minutes from the metro and the terminal bus stop a minute away. Superb staff, very nice room, lovely design, cleaning, coffee room and a mini-bar with free drinks.
Breakfast on the 18th floor with breathtaking views of the city.
When we encountered a problem with one of Mr. Andre Lange management team handled our problem to our satisfaction.
Returning to Vienna, then only this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment about the hotel.
I am glad to read that you were fully satisfied by our Ambassadors, the room and our “living Artwork”.
I will pass on your kind words about Mr. Lange.
I do hope to welcome you back soon in our hotel.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last summer with my b/f and have to say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world including Rome/NYC/Paris/London etc. So that is a big statement!! The hotel in itself is beautiful, very modern, clean and elegant. Le loft restaurant is incredible, what an incredible view! Staff were so accommodating and go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Would recommend this to anyone. Also if you look at the right site you will get a great price!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very nice comment.
I am very happy to read that you had a positive experience in our hotel and that you would recommend our “living Artwork”.
I do hope to welcome you back soon again.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Everything is tip-top, rooms are white only, stylish and very arty, staff very helpful and polite. There's free wi/fi in rooms and lobby, a nespresso machine and a free mini-bar (no alcohol). Also, the spa and fitness facilities are modern and well equipped. The breakfast is rather fair comparing to the other conditions in the hotel but a definitely strong recommendation for Vienna.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the experience in our “Living Artwork”.
I have forwarded your comments regarding the breakfast to our Director of Operations.
It would be my pleasure to soon welcome you back in our hotel.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The accommodation in this hotel is fabulous. Have stayed in alot of hotels, but this was the most unusal room I have stayed in, snow white in colour except for the tv and Nespresso machine, bizarre, but really different. Everything was brilliant, the bed, pillows, shower, towels and the views, these all made for a great stay. We stayed in the upper floorsand the view was superb over Vienna. Checkin went very smoothly and pleasantly and the receptionist brought us to the room, which was a good touch.
In our package we had breakfast included, a bit Fawlty Towers(ish), on the 1st morning we were shown to a table and asked did we want coffee and juice. There was a buffet, but were'nt told about it, asked for a menu, watched other diners and saw them going to the buffet, watched others arrive, obviously their first morning too, and they were the same as us!!! Eventually found our way around. The other mornings we were there, things did not improve, staff did their best not to get things, cutlery, coffee, etc. They would walk by, but no eye contact, difficult to get!!! We had breakfast four times, and a different staff member each time and all were the same, I dont think they were trying to be evasive, but it was very strange. Be on time for breakfast, chefs came out 2 mornings at 10.30 to clear away breads and pastries, no lingering over breakfast for the late arrivers...

Breakfast aside, this is a super hotel and yes I would stay here again (and maybe breakfast elsewhere).

Had drinks in the Loft Bar at night, views fab of the city and the place was buzzing....

Room Tip: The higher the room, the greater the view, lifts very quick up and down.....
1 Thank Niall
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork”!
Thank you as well for your critics. I have immediately forwarded your comment to our Director of Operation who will check the breakfast to make sure our high standard is maintained.
I will pass on your positive word about the reception, as this is the best motivation.
I do hope to welcome you soon again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The spa is definitely a nice place where to recover after a long walk around a Christmasy Vienna. I really liked the service, very professional and attentive to our needs. The guys at the reception were well informed about things to do in the city and they suggested us very good restaurants. We chose to get breakfast in the hotel for the whole stay and we loved it.

Room Tip: Higher floors allow a better view of the city, it is worth it ;)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fabio L
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind word about our Spa and Reception staff.
I will forward your word to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation for them.
I do hope to welcome you soon again.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were directed to our superior room that we had booked - a stunning white room. It was a large room with an open plan bathroom with opaque glass sliding screens, a gorgeous large bathroom, separate walk in shower and his and hers sinks and importantly, a private WC. Plenty of storage and all the extras you would expect (robes, slippers, etc) and also a free mini bar stocked with waters and juices. It was also equipped with a nespresso coffee machine which to be honest, was the reason I chose the hotel. The spa in the hotel was great too - a little under used by most guests but we used it a few times during our stay. Our room faced away from the city centre but we could see the famous ferris wheel and watch the snow fall. The bar and restaurant offer even better views and the staff in the bar were especially helpful and friendly, as were the staff on reception and the front door. The staff in the restaurant were less friendly on the whole.... Breakfast was generally very good with plenty of selection although on our last morning the hotel seemed very full and the food kept running out as did the bowls and glasses. We had asked for a jug of milk to go with the coffee but it didn't come so in the end, my husband took his cup to the cereal bar. It seemed as if the restaurant either didn't know how many guests were in the hotel or had failed to prepare. It was especially disappointing as it was our last visit to the restaurant. We did take dinner in the restaurant one evening too and found it very disappointing but I've made a separate review so as not to reduce my rating for the hotel. I would love to stay at this hotel again but would not dine in the restaurant in the evening. I would add that we did take some snack dishes from the bar menu on the evening we arrived and they were good.

1 Thank Samantha E
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback on TripAdvisor
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you would love to come back in our “Living Artwork”. Though, I am also truly sorry to read that you didn`t have such a good experience in the restaurant. I have immediately forwarded your comment to our Director of Operations who will check on the service quality as it is our ambition to provide you excellent quality and services in all our outlets.
It would be my pleasure to soon welcome you back again and convince you also with our restaurant service.