“Top end from start to finish”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Bergen, Norway
“Top end from start to finish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We went to Vienna for a long weekendfor a special occasion, and wanted to stay in a modern style 5 star hotel, and in Vienna this was pretty much the only option.
We also had the limo transfer, as well as a celebration dinner at Le Loft. I think the best way to review this stay is to divide it up into subsections:

Transfer:
Excellent service from an experienced, professional and knowledgeable driver. The car was a comfortable BMW, with drinks at the ready in the car. It's a great way to start things off when luggage is handled and you can just relax with a drink. When we arrived at the hotel, the hotel staff took care of the luggage and brought it to our room while we checked in. Sane when we checked out, leaving the luggage in the room for the staff to handle and a drop off right infront of the nearest check in for your airline.

Reception Staff:
Just the way you expect it to be at a 5 star hotel. You don't notice they are there until they are needed, but the moment they are, the service is quiet, discreet, efficient and helpful and no problem too small or too big. I wanted to plan a little surprise for my girlfriend, which would never have happened unless they had gone that extra mile. So would have to reserve a special thank you to Oliver for outstanding service and also the kind assistance of the concierge.

Breakfast:
It's extra, the price might to some seem steep, but it's worth it. The selection at the Le Loft breakfast menu isn't huge, but special selection, and what they do have is top quality. The kitchen had a little delay with out eggs, but who can complain when you get a complimentary champagne to enjoy during the wait? Already the second day they knew already what drinks etc we wanted, I was about to ask the waitress for mayonnaise when she came with it.

The Suite:
The only "downside" to the hotel is that actually none of the pictures does it justice. The room looks much better in real life than it does in the photos. I know that some will probably say that it looks too cold and minimalistic, but in reality, it has a soothing effect. I was also worried about both the chairs and couch would be uncomfortable, as well as the tub, but despite their appearances, they are very comfortable.
The bed is absolutely amazing, we slept like babies. There is also a pillow menu with suggestions for which to order based on what position you usually sleep in.
Then there is also the personal little "surprises" like when we came to the room and found a selection of chocolates, cakes etc. waiting for us, or when you come in the evening and there were cups of good night tea waiting with a note wishing us a good nights sleep.
And finally, also full score for the housekeeping. Given the nature of the design of the room, any lack would be immediately noticed, and we couldn't find a single flaw.
The humorous adventure was all the light switches, those can take a little time to get used to which switch is for what!

Le Loft Restaurant:

First off you have an amazing view of the city, then you have excellent food, coupled off with just the level of service you would expect from this level of a restaurant, not sure what else to say here apart from thanks for a wonderful dining experience.

Conclusion:
We travel alot, so whenever we go somewhere, we usually always find some other hotels on the location that could be interesting to try at a return visit. However in Vienna, we didn't, so when we do return, the Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom will be the only option.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a high floor for the magnificient view. Depending on your taste, they have rooms faci...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much to have taken your time to write about your experience in “Living Artwork” by architect Jean Nouvel.
I am very happy to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that you will come back.
I will forward your kind words to our Ambassadors and especially to Oliver, as this is the best motivation.
I do hope to welcome you soon again in our hotel.
William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Welcome & Room - We stayed in the Sofitel Vienna for 3 nights in one of the luxury white rooms. Upon arriving to the hotel late on Friday night we received an extremely thorough overview of the city of Vienna. This was delivered by Barbara and meant we were well prepared for our full day the next day. Even for a 5 star hotel this welcome was exceptional. We were then shown to our room which was perfect. The free minibar for the whole of our stay was great to. Bath, toiletries, cumfy bed, choice of cushions and everything was as you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Location - Located 50m away from an Underground/tram stop was perfect for traveling around the city. This is only 1 stop away from where the CAT(Airport train) comes in so would definitely recommend that route to get there from the airport. Walking around from Sofitel was really easy to!

Bar & Restaurant - We went up to the bar which was amazing and had a great view over the city. It was pretty busy but we eventually did get a table by the window. Prices were €5 for a beer so not too bad. We didn't eat in the restaurant but the food looked divine. As you can imagine prices were exceptionally high (25€ for a starter, €35 for a main). It would have been nice to have some sort of discount for staying in the hotel.

Spa - We didn't actually use the spa which was a shame as we did receive a nice tour of it all. As a couple it was a bit of a shame to just have separate jacuzzis for genders but guess this is understandable!

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone as it really is a truly special hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jez_Jones
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment about our Living Artwork.
I am glad to read that you had a wonderful stay with us.
I will forward your kind words to all Ambassadors and especially to Barbara as this is the best motivation for them.
I do hope to welcome you soon again.
Kind regards,
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We celebrated my 40th birthday in Vienna and at the Sofitel hotel, a three nights stay. We initially booked the grey room, but were so kindly offered a white junior suite for an additional fee. We had booked the limousine service and a very informative, polite and helpful driver greeted us at the airport. We immediately liked what we saw upon arrival at the hotel; a modern and spacious reception area. The room was perfect, and catered for our every need. The bed was the most comfortable we have ever lain in.

We managed to get a table in Le Loft all thanks to Oliver (his name if I remember correctly) at the reception desk. I highly recommend booking pre-arrival as it seems to be quite a sought after place to dine in Vienna. The food was of high quality, the service was excellent and the view from the 18th floor was magnificent. When the waiter heard it was my birthday, he provided me with a complimentary dessert. If you do not wish to dine, the bar area is also a stunning place to be.

Upon returning to our room, every evening the hotel placed treats such as good night tea, little sweet delights, and on my birthday; a card and another complimentary cake. Earlier that day the doorman suprised us by greeting me with a happy birthday wish.

We had breakfast at the hotel. The service was perfect and every need was catered for. They remembered our drink choices from the first morning and it seemed everyone took pride in doing their outmost to provide guests with the perfect morning start. We especially appreciated the quality of the food.

I would also like to mention the wonderfly equipped gym, the powerful jacuzzi, curtious room service and spotless housecleaning.

We have made travelling our priority and will continue doing so. It seems so far, Sofitel Vienna Stephandsdom is the place we would like to return to as soon as possible.

1 Thank Travelhappy446
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment about your stay in our hotel.
I am very glad to read that you had a wonderful birthday and everything went perfect just as you imagined it to be.
I will forward your kind words to our Ambassadors and especially to Oliver from the reception, as this is the best motivation for them.
It would be my pleasure to soon welcome you back in our “Living Artwork”!
Berlin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Spent a night on business. Totally annoying: No electricity, meaning no recharging of smartphone, no blow drying your hair. Strange as it may seem the blow dryer couldn't even be operated from a wallplug that a lamp worked with fine. Yeah, the lights worked, but not much else, so better charge your laptop in the conference rooms. As to the rooms: Minimalistic to the max! White-out! Pack sunglasses. The junior suite certainly quite memorable. Bed was excellent. Do not miss the view from the bar on the 18th floor. By the way: To have the Stephansdome in the hotel's name ... do not take that to mean anything other than: You can actually see the Stephansdom from the high floors. It is not in any sense in the immediate neighborhood of that landmark. Even my cab driver was confused by that.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view towards the historic city center and the Stephansdome
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment.
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the junior suite with our special collection of MyBed by Sofitel and that you had time to enjoy the view at Le LOFT in the 18th floor. Let me explain the hotel name that might sometimes be misleading. The name is a reference to the St Stephens Cathedral, not only because of the view to the dome, but especially because the architecture of Jean Nouvel was highly inspired by the Stephansdom. You can experience this by the minimalistic color scheme or the pattern of the roofs that are a reference to the Cathedral.
I am sorry for the technical issues you have experienced and I have immediately contacted our chef technician in order to check on all the points that you mentioned.
I do hope to welcome you soon again. Maybe next time in a grey luxury room facing the city center and with perfect view to the Stephansdom!
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Had an opportunity to spend three nights at this hotel and enjoyed my time there. Great location easy walking distance to all the sites of Vienna so that is very convenient. I had a premium room on the 14th floor with a great view of the city. The rooms themselves are a very modern minimalistic design. I'm told they are white, gray, black, colored rooms. I had a grey color room and I thought it was really cool. Also instead of carpet or hard wood, the flooring is some type of firm rubberized coating. That's right no carpet.

So I guess here's where I make the clarification that supports my title, if you don't like modern minimalistic design and rooms that aren't carpeted then this is not the place for you. But if that is your style then not only does the hotel have the decorum that you like but in addition it will provide you a high level of servce. I did use the room service a few times, and it was prompt and efficient. Had a small hiccup with the safe, they had a technician up to the room in 5 minutes, turned out the battery was dying so it was resolved quickly. Had a minor issue with one of the lamps in the bathroom the first night, called the front desk at 11pm they had somebody up in 5 mins. The resolution was they moved us next door which just happened to be available. So all in all, excellent service.

I did have breakfast included with my stay at the cafe at the top of the building. I forgot the name. Breakfast was good but not awesome as I would have thought it would be. Great selection of meats, cheeses, fruit etc, but I was a bit let down when it came to ordering some a la carte items such as the crepes and waffles as they came out lukewarm and did not seem freshly made. Of course the morning view of Vienna is quite fantastic as you are having your breakfast and offset some of these minor issues. As mentioned breadfast was included in my rate, but if I had to pay the Euro 35 per person I would probably have it once for the view and find some other alternatives for my other days.

I guess my only other gripe which isn't major is the wifi, it is included as part of your room but it's pretty slow and supposedly there is an option to buy a faster service but really at this price point and caliber of hotel that just doesn't seem right to me. Regardless I would stay here again in the future should I have a chance to visit the beautiful city of Vienna again, preferably during warmer days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Overlord73
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment about our “Living Artwork”. The Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom is in effect a very unique hotel in Vienna due to its very avant-garde architecture and style by French Star architect Jean Nouvel and we are proud to be considered as a luxury destination hotel.
I am very glad to read that you did not only enjoy your room and the coulorsheme of the hotel, but as well recognized our service level.I will forward your kind word to our Ambassadors as this is the best motivation for them.
I am sorry to read that you were a little disappointed by the breakfast. I have immediately contacted our chef in order to implement your ideas.
I do hope to welcome you soon back again in spring or summertime to experience the beauty of Vienna during warmer days.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's not cheap but definitely worth it! We've stayed in a lot of boutique hotels and this one is definitely in the top tier. Especially if you stay in the rooms overlooking the city (one of the nicest selling points on this hotel). Service was pleasant and efficient. The hotel has a nice buzz to it especially the restaurant at the top. Breakfast was expensive, very standard but I guess it's the price of view.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment on Trip Advisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our Luxury room in grey with the panoramic view over the St. Stephens cathedral.
I will forward your nice words about our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
Thank you as well for recommending the Le Loft restaurant on the top floor.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in our “Living Artwork”.
Kind regards,
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have just came back from 3 nights at the Sofitel Stephansdom Vienna.
It was truly perfect. The word magnifique is to the best way to describe this hotel.

We stayed at a luxury room (the grey room) which was absolutely amazing.
We have stayed in fine hotels before including the Sofitel in other cities but this was the best by far.

The hotel itself is located in a perfect very strategic location – almost everything is in a walking distance (if not – the metro is 2 min. walk from the hotel).

The room is spacious, very well equipped with a wonderful view over Vienna and the Stephansdom. The bath is very large and the shower with a rain head is a real treat. We enjoyed a complimentary use of a Nespresso machine and a free mini-bar in the room.

The breakfast at the 18th floor was also great. The breakfast room is located on the top floor over viewing 360◦ of beautiful Vienna with a unique ceiling décor.
The food was wonderful with a large and generous variety and above all a great service with a smile.

The reception staff and the concierge were all very kind and helpful with a constant smile.
They repeatedly said they would love to help us in any time and any way. We have never felt so welcome in a hotel like in this one!

We can't wait to our next stay!

Room Tip: Don’t miss a visit to the bar at the top floor!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork” and that we were able to provide you a “Journée Magnifique”.
I will forward your nice words about our reception and concierge Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
It will be my pleasure to welcome you soon again.