“Trendy...Modern...Chic...but not for everyone!!!”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Phoenix
“Trendy...Modern...Chic...but not for everyone!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Had an opportunity to spend three nights at this hotel and enjoyed my time there. Great location easy walking distance to all the sites of Vienna so that is very convenient. I had a premium room on the 14th floor with a great view of the city. The rooms themselves are a very modern minimalistic design. I'm told they are white, gray, black, colored rooms. I had a grey color room and I thought it was really cool. Also instead of carpet or hard wood, the flooring is some type of firm rubberized coating. That's right no carpet.

So I guess here's where I make the clarification that supports my title, if you don't like modern minimalistic design and rooms that aren't carpeted then this is not the place for you. But if that is your style then not only does the hotel have the decorum that you like but in addition it will provide you a high level of servce. I did use the room service a few times, and it was prompt and efficient. Had a small hiccup with the safe, they had a technician up to the room in 5 minutes, turned out the battery was dying so it was resolved quickly. Had a minor issue with one of the lamps in the bathroom the first night, called the front desk at 11pm they had somebody up in 5 mins. The resolution was they moved us next door which just happened to be available. So all in all, excellent service.

I did have breakfast included with my stay at the cafe at the top of the building. I forgot the name. Breakfast was good but not awesome as I would have thought it would be. Great selection of meats, cheeses, fruit etc, but I was a bit let down when it came to ordering some a la carte items such as the crepes and waffles as they came out lukewarm and did not seem freshly made. Of course the morning view of Vienna is quite fantastic as you are having your breakfast and offset some of these minor issues. As mentioned breadfast was included in my rate, but if I had to pay the Euro 35 per person I would probably have it once for the view and find some other alternatives for my other days.

I guess my only other gripe which isn't major is the wifi, it is included as part of your room but it's pretty slow and supposedly there is an option to buy a faster service but really at this price point and caliber of hotel that just doesn't seem right to me. Regardless I would stay here again in the future should I have a chance to visit the beautiful city of Vienna again, preferably during warmer days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Overlord73
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment about our “Living Artwork”. The Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom is in effect a very unique hotel in Vienna due to its very avant-garde architecture and style by French Star architect Jean Nouvel and we are proud to be considered as a luxury destination hotel.
I am very glad to read that you did not only enjoy your room and the coulorsheme of the hotel, but as well recognized our service level.I will forward your kind word to our Ambassadors as this is the best motivation for them.
I am sorry to read that you were a little disappointed by the breakfast. I have immediately contacted our chef in order to implement your ideas.
I do hope to welcome you soon back again in spring or summertime to experience the beauty of Vienna during warmer days.
Kind regards from Vienna,
William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's not cheap but definitely worth it! We've stayed in a lot of boutique hotels and this one is definitely in the top tier. Especially if you stay in the rooms overlooking the city (one of the nicest selling points on this hotel). Service was pleasant and efficient. The hotel has a nice buzz to it especially the restaurant at the top. Breakfast was expensive, very standard but I guess it's the price of view.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment on Trip Advisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our Luxury room in grey with the panoramic view over the St. Stephens cathedral.
I will forward your nice words about our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
Thank you as well for recommending the Le Loft restaurant on the top floor.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in our “Living Artwork”.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have just came back from 3 nights at the Sofitel Stephansdom Vienna.
It was truly perfect. The word magnifique is to the best way to describe this hotel.

We stayed at a luxury room (the grey room) which was absolutely amazing.
We have stayed in fine hotels before including the Sofitel in other cities but this was the best by far.

The hotel itself is located in a perfect very strategic location – almost everything is in a walking distance (if not – the metro is 2 min. walk from the hotel).

The room is spacious, very well equipped with a wonderful view over Vienna and the Stephansdom. The bath is very large and the shower with a rain head is a real treat. We enjoyed a complimentary use of a Nespresso machine and a free mini-bar in the room.

The breakfast at the 18th floor was also great. The breakfast room is located on the top floor over viewing 360◦ of beautiful Vienna with a unique ceiling décor.
The food was wonderful with a large and generous variety and above all a great service with a smile.

The reception staff and the concierge were all very kind and helpful with a constant smile.
They repeatedly said they would love to help us in any time and any way. We have never felt so welcome in a hotel like in this one!

We can't wait to our next stay!

Room Tip: Don’t miss a visit to the bar at the top floor!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork” and that we were able to provide you a “Journée Magnifique”.
I will forward your nice words about our reception and concierge Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
It will be my pleasure to welcome you soon again.
Kind regards from Vienna,
Belgrade
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

It was a great experience staying at this luxurious, central located hotel of very modern architecture and interior. Our grey room was very comfortable and with stunning view over the old city and Stephansdom. The excellent buffet breakfast is served at the Le Loft restaurant at the top of hotel from which one also enjoyes splended view. The stuff was very kind and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice comment regarding your stay in our Living Art Work. I will be more than happy to inform all our Ambassadors about your kind words. I am sure that this will be a great motivation.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was probably my tenth visit to this hotel. And since the beginning they always provide the best hospitality for my stay. I stayed in many hotels in Europe and Vienna and this one is probably the best for a business traveler. The value you get for the price you paid, among 5 star hotels, is probably the highest in Vienna. I really recommend the restaurant and specially for the breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that we have the pleasure to have you in our “Living Artwork” over and over and that you enjoy your stay and the breakfast floating above Vienna on the 18th floor.
I do hope to welcome you back a eleventh and more times in our hotel.
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

"Sofitel - Luxury Hotels" is printed on the broschures and bags in the room, luxury indeed are the rates as Sofitel is one of the five most expansive hotels in Vienna. I booked a "luxury room" for three nights from Jan. 6 - 9, 2013.

The published rate at the Sofitel webpage was 305 Euro/Night without breakfast and with free cancellation up to three days before arrival (217 Euro/Night prepaid without cancellation possibilities). So I booked through another webpage for an average rate of 172 Euro/night, breakfast and taxes included and with free cancellation up to four days before arrival.

First of all: the staff was very friendly and helpfull at all (if staff was available), but in total many missing or poor details made this stay annoying:

- Arrival at 8pm: no doorman available, the bellboy in service for other guests, you have to carry your luggage on your own (as the receptionist said a doorman was on duty until 7pm that day); no guidance to the room; no welcome note or welcome present like candies or flowers in the room as it is usual in this category;

- Room 1410: design of this grey/black coloured room up to personal preference, but

a) quite dark; the working space without lights (a spot is just above the luggage board; you nearly have to work in a dark area in the evening); a standard-lamp in the corner has no electric power as there was no electrical socket like shown on the picture; in the bath area just two spotlights above the shower stall and the bathtub - the two lamps on the mirror had a clock relay and switched off every minute (or even less, you had to switch them on several times when shaving in the morning); also unusually: when leaving the room and getting the room card out of the box, all lights switched off immediately. The key box was about 2m in the room so you had to step to the door in darkness (why is there no phase lag until all lights turn off automatically?). It's even more difficult, when entering the room in the evening.

b) just 6 hangers in the wardrobes, definitely not enough for a three days business trip. So I called housekeeping and asked for more hangers. They didn't arrive. After 20 minutes I called reception and asked for additional hangers. Nothing happened again. At about 9pm housekeeping arrived for turn down service but didn't know about my request for additional hangers. Housekeeping called another service staff and after additional 10 minutes I finally received the requested hangers (and after another few minutes I got even more hangers from a bellboy send from reception, too).

c) bed linen: watch the photo, this not a joke. The linen looked as if it was already used by former guests (the photo was taken after the turn down on arrival day and I didn't touch it before making the photo). They changed the linen daily but the optic didn't change.

d) no bedside table, just space on a board in the back, where clock, telephone and light switch were placed. Very uncomfortable, you have to sit up in the dark and start to search for the switch - but be aware of the electrical sockets also placed there (I don't know if there where guests killed in the past when searching for things placed on this board and putting their fingers into a socket in the dark).

e) there was a fixed vanity mirror in a high of about 1.70m in the bathroom; so using this mirror is difficult for women or smaller men.

- Turn down appaers all days (too) late between 8.45 and 9.10pm. First evening I asked at about 8.30pm for turn down, but housekeeping arrived neverless at about 9pm.

- f&b I: there is just a gourmet restaurant and a bar available in the evening. The third night both were closed. They opened the ground floor bistro instead, but with a small snack card, only (satay, clubsandwich, caviar, no main dishes as the staff said). So I ordered room service again (good: as I mentioned that the side dish is a bit small I got an extra portion complimentary);

- f&b II: breakfast is fine but I wondered that all three days there were no sausages available (staff couldn't explain either); egg dishes were available and egg benedict is quite recommendable.

- One of three elevators was out of service during my whole stay, so all guest floors of this 18 story hotel were served by two elevators, only.

- Spa: Nice spa with jacuzzi and steam bath. A bit disgusting: no soap, shower gel or shampoo available in the whole spa. Guests are showering without cleaning their bodies. Instead an information that things like shavers or combs are available at spa reception. During my 90 minutes visit I didn't see any employee, service wasn't offered at all. And Spa reception is outside the spa area.

I stayed at Sofitel Vienna also in January 2012 and August 2011, both times in a white standard room. There were no lighting problems, a better bathroom solution, regular bedside tables and I can't remember problems with bed linen or missing staff.

I just can say, that last stay in a "luxury room" were too much problems in detail what made the stay in total annoying. Especially on a business trip accommodation has to ful fill origin needs of the traveller. At Sofitel Vienna I got the impression, that managment didn't focus on demands of their guests or sophisticated facilities or services (they simply should stay a few nights in their own rooms).

Room Tip: Don't spend more money for a higher room category.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank warum
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very detailed comment that has a high value for us as we are always eager to optimize our performance and to guarantee best quality and services to our guests.
I have forwarded your comments to all managers in charge to seriously discuss all issues that you have pointed out.
Let me apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced and I still hope to welcome you again in the future in order to show you that we can provide a 5 star superior luxury experience.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We are just leving the hotel after a great weekend in vienna and i have to say that if everything was perfect a lot is due to this hotel . Qe stayed in a junior suite , the grey, wit a fantastic view over the dome and the city . Rooms are fantastic stylish and new, clean hitech, position is convenient to the center and all personnel is helpful , nice and progessional especially the lady at the reception marie therese , that was due to attend the best world receptionist contest! Compliments to everybody! Even the loft restaurant at the roof is great for dinner and for breakfast absolutely to recommend ( even before arriving we were helped a lot by the manager mr klien )

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the experience of “living in an Artwork” by Jean Nouvel.
I will certainly forward your positive comments to our Ambassadors and especially to Marie Theres, our Receptionist of the Year!
Thank you as well for the positive comment about our Le LOFT Restaurant for dinner and breakfast.
I hope to welcome you soon again.