“Black, White and Gray Decor”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you minimalism; if you like varying shades of gray, if you like black and white together, and you like a room with no carpeting, sliding window covers and sliding bathroom doors, you will love this hotel. It is the ultimate in modern, modern, modern. Our family was mixed on the decor. The men loved the minimalism, the women found the rooms to be cold. The staff was incredibly friendly, the restaurant on the 18th floor has a fabulous view of Vienna and the food is delicious and expensive. It is across the river so it takes about 15 minutes to walk into the city center.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed the services of our Ambassadors and I will forward your comments as it is the best motivation.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again in our Artwork Hotel, maybe next time in summer, when our monochromic color scheme will be filled by the sunlight for a complete new experience.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have spent 6 days in Vienna at the Sofitel and it has been a great experience. The staff has been extremely helpfull and friendly, from the reception desk (thanks to Sophie) to the room service (thanks to Milan), including the concierge (thanks to Wolfgang).
I don't know any other hotels in Vienna, but we have traveled around the world and frankly this is a great place to stay. The view is awesome and the location perfect.
We have not tested the restaurant as we were with kids and it s not appropriate for them. However we have had breakfast in the same room and it has fulfilled our expactation as a family. During the course of the day we were around Vienna and in the evening, the concierge has always arranged good restaurants 5 to 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: The Stephans Dom view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment about your experience with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your holiday with your family.
I will forward all comments to our Ambassadors and especially to Sophie, Milan and Wolfgang.
I hope to welcome you soon again.
Best regards from Vienna,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a good place to stay if you're looking for a haven from the Baroque that dominates the city. I stayed in one of the grey rooms with a (slightly tangential) view of the cathedral, quite spacious for Europe. I was worried that the uber-modern architecture might be too severe on the eyes or not particularly comfortable/convenient, but my concerns were unfounded. The bed was big and comfortable, the bathroom was modern and well-laid-out (with classic Hermes toiletries, much more tolerable than the usual "high-end unisex" toiletries), and there was perfectly adequate storage space. The staff was pleasant and helpful from check-in to check-out; no language problems. Free WiFi was a bit slow, but not as ridiculously so as it so often is in business-oriented hotels. It's just across the canal from the inner city, so a very reasonable walk to the various sights, but it is perhaps a little less inspiring having to traverse the tackier bit of town on the way (as opposed to the walk from a Ring hotel). Close to the U-Bahn, but you hardly need to use it if you're just hitting the big restaurants/museums. Watching Vienna explode with fireworks at midnight on New Year's from my room = priceless.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comment on Trip Advisor.
I will forward your kind words to our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I am very happy to read that you had a memorable stay in our “Living Artwork” and an unforgettable New Year’s eve viewing the fireworks from your room.

I hope to welcome you soon again. Maybe in summertime to experience our Artwork Hotel in a different lightning.

Kind regards from Vienna,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I really loved the hotel. The service was excellent, the rooms were large and clean. And the hotel was easily accessible to public transportation. I arrived many hours before check-in, exhausted from flying all night, and they allowed me to check in early, without any extra charge I would definitely come back here.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel.
I am happy that the reception anticipated your needs and that you had a wonderful stay with us.
I do hope to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom a few times in Nov / Dec 2012 on short business trips: personally, this is now my preferred large hotel in Vienna. But: I like minimalistic, modern architecture. And I don't mind staying in rooms that are completely white (rooms facing the Prater Ferris whell)), black (facing the side street), or grey (larger old-city / Stephansdome-facing rooms). Truly completely mono-color with the exception of the bed, and any amenities / electronics. The entire room feels like made in one poor - even the bathtub seems made from same material as floor and walls. I love the moving panels to blind the windows at night - real dark rooms for great sleep, and additional noise protection (in addition to the excellent sound-proofing windows).

Very friendly reception and check-out - speedy (have never experienced the queues that I have frequently encountered at other Vienna hotels, in particular the Meridien), competent concierge and a good (though in my view over-hyped) restaurant. Breakfast is good, though service at breakfast (and actually during dinner - though it was the extremely busy pre-Christmas time) is at times not very responsive. Layout of breakfast can be annyoing, though - as the entire spread is distributed around nearly half of the space of the restaurant: lots of running around initially before knowing the layout, and where to find what. Rapid elevators, never a long wait. As a nice gesture I received a voucher for any two welcome drinks at the bar on my second stay - in addition to truly exceptional chocolate pralines as a welcome amenity at each stay. Taxis almost always available, if not arrive within 2-3 minutes upon call by reception.

Overall a great hotel, in a good (though not exceptional) location, with great staff with a truly "can do" attitude.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gourmetflo

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your detailed positive feedback.
I have immediately forwarded your comment to our Ambassadors as this is the best motivation.
About the layout for breakfast, I have contacted the Director of Operations, in order to find a satisfying solution for it.
I hope to welcome you soon again in our “Living Artwork”.
Kind regards from Vienna,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very nice hotel. Personal is friendly, however with this price it should have been perfect and it wasn't. Placemats were regularly dirty for the breakfast. We never felt welcomed to the Skybar when we have been there . We found a hair in the shower on our arrival and the windows had finger prints.
This is the first time I have been disappointed by a Sofitel, in all the other it was PERFECT, not there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor.
I am very sorry to read that you were not fully satisfied with your experience in our property. I have informed our Director of Operations who will take care of your comment regarding our Le LOFT Restaurant, Bar & Lounge. Also our Housekeeping Manager is informed as those issues you mentioned do not represent the high standard of our hotel and we are ambitious to give you a perfect service and provide you a perfect stay.
I still hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel has a futuristic interior design with sliding doors opening fully to the large bathroom. If you want you can turn your space in one big room with a bath tub in the middle of it. I was also very pleased with the service. The hotel is quiet and clean and the location is perfect. You just walk over the bridge and you are in the old town. It is a 6-7 minutes walk to Stephan's Dom. Steve, as well as his other colleagues at the front desk are very helpful and act as perfect concierges too. Unfortunately the hotel does not have a pool. They have a good spa with treatments and a jacuzzi, but no swimmers pool.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment.
I will forward your positive words to Steve and our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I do hope to welcome you soon again in our “Living Artwork”.