“Nice stay in Vienna” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“Nice stay in Vienna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel through their main website, it was a little expensive saying that it was only for the room without breakfast which is too expensive also
But the restaurant on the top of the building is really awesome with nice style and great views.

Location: cannot be better than this, just across the river and you will be in the historic center of Vienna

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive review on the hotel location and our Le LOFT restaurant.
I really appreciate your comment and hope we can welcome you soon again in our hotel.
William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went to the Vienna Sofitel on the recommendation of a friend and were not disappointed. Service from the Limo at the airport to our room was friendly and smooth. The hotel is on the banks of the Danube Canal right in the heart of this huge vibrant city. It is super modern to the point of eccentricity and the 18th floor "Le Loft" restaurant a work of modern art which can be seen at night from across the river.

The food was excellent and in proportion to the price, eg the more you pay the less you get !

Service was polite if slow but perhaps they like one to enjoy the view which is exceptional.

Our room was "White" which meant everything was white with exception of the strange off white markings on the walls and ceiling which we took to be stains but on very close examination we found to be tiny patterns sown into the fabric and designed by an artist. However much we tried we didn't get it.

The bath and shower were huge and minimalist and the huge mirrors every where made moving a bit disconcerting at first.

If you can afford it for a very special occasion go for it, you will love it

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am very delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had an excellent experience in our Le LOFT Restaurant on the top floor.
I am happy to be able to explain you the artwork in your room. To work on the Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom dedicated to contemporary art, our architect Jean Nouvel has characteristically gathered a team of bright young talent. The original mural inscriptions were inspired by the famous graphic art of Viennese artist Hundertwasser and werde produced by art students of Vienna in each of the 182 guestrooms. So each room has an individual artistic signature.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you soon again in our “Living Artwork” and to show you our soft grey rooms or velvety black suites as an alternative to the immaculate white rooms.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Checked Into a juniour suite in this this "architectural Disneyland" with the wife for 3 nights in September 2012.

We both prefer contemporary hotels, however this one is more "Edgy' than most. We had a Black & White suite located on a corner. - If you don't like the ultra modern look, this is not a place for you. - It isn't cutting edge, it's bleeding edge architecture in terms of hotels.

We were happy with our suite, which featured plenty of connections for all things IT and for the IT savvy. - Low speed internet is offered for free, however it is very slow. For 24 EU per day you can upgrade to high speed and considering this is such a contemprary hotel, which appeals to a more youthful clientele, you would think management may consider making this an inclusion instead of an option??

We had 2 large flat screen TV's in our suite, comfy bed and furniture and a dinning area/desk. Matt White paint has been used in some areas of the room and although the hotel is new, the matt paint does not weather stains and marks very well, thereby detracting from the look of the room in those areas.

The light switches in the room are obviously designed to train search and rescue pilots. Even the most elite members of the Austrian coast guard search and rescue unit would take weeks, perhaps months to locate them all. For mere mortals like myself, there was no hope. A battery of switches are located above the bed. These are put there to give you false hope that you may one day discover how to turn on/off the lights you want. - I ended up unplugging a lamp in the lounge as the wife and i had no idea where the switch to turn it off was.

There is a large shelf above the bed recessed into the wall. It houses IT connections, a clock with Bose sound system and those light switches I mentioned earlier. Its great if you are standing up as it is at chest height, however if you are in the bed you cannot see the clock or reach it unless you sit up and turn around. - defeats the purpose of having the clock there and is annoying if you reach for your phone on the charger there as you can't see anything unless you sit up. - No bedside tables to put things on so you have to use the shelf. There is a recessed bench near the bed but it is not reachable from the bed.

The gym and the spa are very modern and interesting to be in. The gym has sitting areas and lounges outside it on an internal bvalcony in the hotel.

The staff culture at this hotel was a little like observing a hamster on a wheel, plenty of activity, but not much forward movement. - On check in my wife spoke to a front of house staff member and requested that a hair appointment was made for her the following day. The staff memeber was very pleasant,wrote everything down, however the next day we discovered that she had forgotten to pass the information on to anyone so no booking was made and the salon was full by then so no appointment could be made. On several occaisions we rang the front desk from our room and the phone repeatedly rang out? - Hello?????

On our first night we went up to the Le Loft bar for a drink. The seats in the middle adjacent to the bar are elevated and offer the best view so we asked to be seated there. The staff advised that whilst there were empty seats that there was no room and we were seated on the lower side of the bar which has a less appealing view. Two minutes later friends of ours arrived and were offered to be seated where we had requested ( they had not made any prior reservations) and they were seated there. Im sure i had a shower before I went up and my face does not resemble a dropped pie, so we were confused as to why we were treated differently to our friends?? - It was very strange to say the least.

The bar itself is lovely and features an illuminated colourful ceiling which delivers a lovely ambience.

On the day of check out we had 90 minutes until our transfer arrived so we decided to order some room service. We advised that we were leaving in 90 minutes and requested delivery ASAP. The staff member advsed that they could guarantee delivery in 30 minutes. - 45 minutes later we rang again and were told it was on its way. 1 hour after ordering we rang again as we now had to go down and check out in about 15 minutes! I ordered a bowl of soup and my wife ordered a salad so I did not realize that this complicated order would completely overwhelm the kitchen staff in the manner in which it obviously did!! - Just after an hour the food arrived and we quickly force fed ourselves and ran downstairs as we were now out of time. - Lucky we didn't order anything complicated!

In summary, the hotel is very contemporary and smart. The location is very convenient and central to everything you would want to visit in the city.The rooms are "edgy" and comfortable. The staff are very attentive, pleasant and well groomed, however on numerous occasions they demonstrated that frankly, they require additional training in terms of the manner in which they deliver front of house service. Of the nine five star hotels we have stayed at in various countries between July 2012 and September 2012, the staff at this hotel displayed the lowest benchmark in terms of service delivery. Friends staying with us experienced similar culture issues to us.

Not sure if we would stay here again. - Juries still out!

Room Tip: The hotel has all Black rooms, all White rooms and Black and White rooms. Friends of ours had a Blac...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RelaxWithMax
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your posting and for giving us a thorough evaluation of your stay with us.. Your commentary is important for us in order to optimize our quality and service. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the IT connections in your suite. I am very sorry to read that you had some difficulties during your stay. I would like to apologise for the mishap in our Bar and I assure you that our Bar Manager will investigate why this happened. I am happy to inform you that I will immediately perform an analysis in cooperation with our Department Heads of all our procedures to see where we can improve and save time in order to better serve our highly valued guests.
Hope you will give us another chance and that we will be able to welcome you again in our Artwork hotel.
Best regards
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am a very high frequency business traveller, so my view of hotels is primarily functional, which influences how I review.

Let me start by saying the staff were all friendly, efficient and did everything that needed to be done. The concierge had organized a number of things for our group before we arrived and everything was exactly as needed. Thanks Christian.

We weren't able to get to our rooms when we arrived as it was midday, however when we returned to the hotel in the evening, the bags were in the rooms as promised. All fine so far.

The only "people issue" was that the person that cleaned the room left a chewed lolly stick on the table. They would probably have noticed, but the lolly stick was white and so is EVERYTHING in the room so it was camouflaged on the table.

And that for me was the problem. It feels like the hotel is trying very hard to be cool, without doing right enough of the things that are important to me: The bed and The Shower. The bed is soft and seems to have a duvet under the sheet, as well as on top of it. I prefer a hard bed with a sheet on it. This comes down to personal taste.

The shower on the other hand was disfunctional. At 0730 in the morning, the water temperature cycled rapidly (every second or so) between hot and cold. When I lifted up the shower head to wash my head it simply went cold. It's also one of these walk in showers with no tray for the water. This is fine if water can run down the drain at least fast as it comes out of the shower, otherwise it just flows out under the door in to the room. This one didn't so I had to turn the shower off a couple of times to let the run-off catch up with the inflow. This is not how I like to start my day in a luxury hotel.

Personally I felt breakfast was a bit limited, however it wasn't too expensive. The staff in the restaurant were particularly helpful and the spectacular view means you're not looking at your food anyway.

Overall it's a good hotel, but without a good nights sleep and a decent shower in the morning, it's not going to get a good score.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pingp0ng
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive comments. I was sorry to read that your shower was not functioning correctly. Please note that I have asked our Chief Engineer to do an overhaul of our waterpumps in order to assure that something like this does not happen in the future. Concerning the bed, we would be more than happy to take off the extra mattress for you and to adapt the bed to your needs. Upon you next stay with us we will be more than happy to explain all the facets of our MyBed to you to make sure that you enjoy a good night sleep.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed our service and I will pass your positive feedback to our concierge and all our Ambassadors.
I hope to be able to welcome you back soon in our Living Art work.
Best regards
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Top Hotel, located near the Stephansdom and in walking-distance to all city-highlights of Vienna! Try to get an upgrade to luxury-room, as they have the nicer view to the 1st district! Don´miss to have a drink or dinner in the "Le Loft", the bar/restaurant on the 18th floor with a 360° view over the whole city! One of my most liked hotels!

Room Tip: As written above, try to get a luxury room (the grey ones)1
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice words about your stay in our Living Art Work. I will be more than happy to forward your comments to all our Ambassadors. Your feedback is a great motivation.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon with us and look forward to serving you in our Le LOFT restaurant overlooking Vienna’s rooftops.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel is beautiful (especially for those who love modern style hotels) and has stunning views overlooking old town of Vienna. The location is great, nice 5-10 minutes walk to the main attractions and the best hotel breakfast so far, that is true. We were staying in a grey room and we quite liked it, clean, nice view, good amenities, free wifi, room has everything you need. The only issue we faced is that none of hotel rooms have king size beds, except the suites. It took us couple of days to find this out as we were getting different answer from every stuff member we asked. No one seemed to know the correct information and after we made a tour with one of the receptionist and visited few rooms we seemed to find out that there is no king size beds at all. The best thing they can offer is to zip two mattresses together which they did for us. Also, once we tried to call the concierge and ask for recommendation for the restaurant and the lady was trying to be helpful however could not advice anything in particular and said to ask the reception. What is the concierge for then? However overall all the stuff members were very friendly and attentive. We were also granted early check in and late check out as per our requests, that was nice from the hotel side.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are happy to read that you enjoyed our Artwork, its views and its proximity to Vienna’s main attractions. I would like to assure you that our luxury rooms and suites have king size beds and I apologize that there was a misunderstanding regarding this matter. I am sorry to read about your concierge experience, especially because our concierges take very good care in advising our guests in a very individual way. I have already asked our Head Concierge to follow up with our Concierge team.
I hope that you will come back to us and I would be more than happy to convince you of our concierge service and to offer you a kind size bed upon your next stay.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Well..let me tell you all the story.

Initially I booked hotel via Splendida cause it was cheaper than on hotel website, despite the fact that they promise rate parity. I later emailed hotel about rate difference and they professionally resolved this issue offering me a discount as promised on website. It was not about getting discount but I do believe that hotel brand website should be the best platform to book and you should not surf all sites to get the best offer.

We booked hotel for 2 nights to celebrate my birthday in Vienna. I got a terrible caught just 2 days before travelling and arrived to Vienna on my birthday with temperature and feeling badly. We had very early flight and our room was not ready when we arrived at 10 a.m. which is absolutely understandeble. We went for a short walk around the city and we returned to the hotel what a wonderful surprise was waiting for me we were upgraded to Presidential suite.. well honestly I could not even expect this and was so impressed. As i felt really awfull because of flu I can not really enjoy the city, however I have absolutely enjoyed our room. I think it is even no need to tell you how spacious it was. It has a hollywood bed, huge bathroom, living room, dining room, a kitchen and another toilet.
As all Sofitel I have been before they have Hermes amenities which I love because I use same perfume usually.
The hotel design is very contemporary and if you like such kind of things you would definitely enjoy it.
Breakfast at Le Loft was wonderful, nice choice and amazing view onto Vienna.
I should mention Le Loft bar on 18th floor with very bright ceiling which is the best place to be in Vienna, they offer wide range of cocktails and have nice team of professionals serving you at the bar.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope return again one day!

Room Tip: As I had room with all 3 colours inside I personally would recommend you to ask for a white room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GRMgt, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
we are very delighted that you were able to enjoy your birthday vacation in the Presidential Suite and that you had a good time despite of your flu.
I am happy to pass on your nice words to all our Ambassadors as these comments are very motivating for the Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom team in our aim to provide our guests with the best quality of service.
We hope to welcome you again in Vienna in perfect shape, so that you can fully enjoy the wonderful city with all its highlights.