“Very nice”

Ranked #30 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Modern hotel, great location - less than 10 minute walk to Stephansplatz, 2 minutes to the nearest U-bahn station which is served by 2 lines with direct links to Schonbrun and the Danube, although many other Vienna hotels also are very central. Room was simple yet luxurious and modern. The service was good and staff always were very willing to help. The building itself stands out and the top floor bar/restaurant has a fantastic view, although this was more expensive than anywhere else we went to in our 5 day stay in Vienna, but worth visiting. Overall, a great experience.

1 Thank cdsinge
GRMgt, General Manager at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are happy to read that you were able to visit the major sights easily from our Hotel. Our staff will be more than happy with your nice comments.

We hope that you will visit us again soon to enjoy once more the amazing view from our bar over Vienna.

William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
st.moritz, switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

One of the coolest hotels i've ever stayed .. great service, great staff, great rooms ... puts every so called design hotel or boutique hotel to shame. Thank you guys ... you've raised the bar .. and make it virtually impossible for me - to stay in another hotel in vienna - again.

Room Tip: Get a white room ...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
GRMgt, General Manager at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Dear Guest,
it is great that you were so happy about staying in our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon.
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised when we saw the location of the Sofitel overlooking the canal. We got a bus direct from the airport to Schwedenplatz for only 7 euros and took only 20 minutes, and then was just a short walk along the canal to the hotel. The hotel has a striking entrance and the doormen greet you with a genuine friendliness. First impressions when you walk in is that this is a very modern and sleek hotel. In cool black and white the reception area is minimilistic and has a very clean look. Check in was very quick and professional and we were personally taken to our rooms and everything was explained to us. We had a deluxe room which was all white and overlooked the ferris wheel side of the hotel. The white room can be quite daunting to start with especially with the number of mirrors in the room as well, so hard to see where one room starts and ends (can't explain it as you really have to experience it), but was very impressed with the large and VERY comfortable bed and bedding, nespresso machine, free juices and water in the mini bar, hermes bath products, deep bath, rainfall shower and double sinks. The inbuilt flat screen TV right at the end of the bed was great too. The hotel offer free wireless internet connection which was a god send and you could even use the internet on the flat screen TV with the computer keyboard they supply you with at an extra 24 hr rate. We had a couple of incidents at the hotel; on our first full day, we arrived back at the hotel room at about 4pm and the room had still not been made up. We called down to reception and they said they would send someone up. The maid arrived with her apologies and said that she had seen the do not disturb on the door earlier that morning but hadn't seen it change to 'make up the room' even though we put it on when we left for the day at 10.30am. The rooms are made up between 8.30am and 4.00pm so not sure when it would have been done if we hadn't called. In the end we just asked for fresh towels and the mini bar to be stocked up rather than the room to be cleaned as we just wanted to relax in the room for a bit before going to dinner early evening. The maid was very apologetic and arranged a time to clean the room the following morning. We didn't complain or make a big thing of it as the girl was so apologetic. The next day we thought we would try the hotel's bar on the top floor (Le Loft). I wore a smart maxi dress with some dressy flip flop type shoes. I was blocked on arriving by the lady on the door and said that there was a strict dress code of no flip flops and if I was a guest at the hotel, could I go back to the room to change my shoes. I found this a bit of an insult as it wasn't as if I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and fiip flops, I was dressed smartly in evening wear! I changed and came back and was 'let in'. We sat at the bar and had a couple of cocktails which were lovely overlooking the whole of Vienna. However, we watched several other guests walk in with trainers, ripped jeans, sandals (that were not too disimilar to mine) and then to top it off a dog was allowed in with it's owners and was even offered a dog bowl of water to drink. It just seemed a bit wrong to have refused me entrance in what I have on my feet (and you couldn't even really see them as my dress was covering them) when others were dressed less smart than me and pets were allowed. I didn't see a dress code at the door unless I missed it. They were my only two gripes of the whole stay and again we didn't complain as we didn't want to make a fuss as we were only there for a weekend. Again check out was very professional and the guy on reception that checked us out was very chatty, friendly and helpful. All in all I would come back to this hotel and would recommend it to business travellers and couples - not sure I would take children to an all white room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for the best views
Dear Guest,

we are delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the room and we are sorry for the inconvenience due to the room not being cleaned up when you were back. We have also taken note of your comments regarding your experience in the bar to better handle our dress code. We noticed your comment about the bus and we want to inform you that our hotel offers a limousine transfer directly to the airport which makes your travelling much more comfortable. Our chauffeur and we will take care of your luggage so you will be able to enjoy a smooth and relaxing farewell and departure.

We would be delighted to welcome you back soon William Haandrikman
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We are spending one week in vienna and sofitel is absolutely a very pleasant place for our vacation. The whole room is white and very comfortable bed! Generally I always get jetlag and could not sleep well everytime i travel but this time I sleep very well. There is a small library in the hotel that you can relax and read there.The restaurant on 18th floor has a amazing cityview. The breakfast buffet is very good, except that the fruits can be more fresh.

The hotel is close to everything. During the night, you can go take a gelato or a drink along the Danube. The hotel staff pay attention to details and are very helpful. Only a small disadvantage is that the internet signal is a little week. Otherwise, we have a very relaxing week vacation in Wien and I will put Sofitel as my primary choice in my future trip.

Dear Guest,
it gives us great pleasure to read that you enjoyed our hotel. We have passed on your comments regarding the fruits to our Restaurant Manager.
We have also informed our Technical department concerning the internet and we are working on a solution to improve this.
We hope to welcome you soon.
Altrincham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed there with a friend on a mini city break to Vienna, we stayed in a pure white room, it was amazing. The hotel staff were very friendly all in all, breakfast was lovely but very expensive. Spa was relaxing. Only down side was the bar on the high floor, it was very impressive and spectacular, but the service was appalling, long wait to be served every time and on one occasion we ate and it took an hour and we were the only people waiting!! I woukd stay there again as overall it was lovely, just slow service.

Room Tip: higher level floors have great views, but really all rooms seem nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
GRMgt, General Manager at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

our seamless coloured rooms are indeed amazing and we are happy that you enjoyed your white room so much.

We apologise for the slow service in the Bar. At Sofitel we continually strive to give a superior service and we have passed on your comments to our bar manager.

We hope that you will visit us again soon and that we will be able to convince you with our service in the bar.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

This hotel was by far one of the best hotels I've had the pleasure of staying in (and I've stayed in a lot of them). It is hard to really pin point what is the best thing about this place. Let's start with the service - impeccable! This had the best service that I've ever seen in a hotel. Right from the time the Mercedes Van picked us up at the Vienna airport the people we encountered were friendly and very helpful.

I would especially like to thank the following hotel staff - Wolfgang Wagner at Concierge, Simone, the Guest Relations Manager and Sonia, who helped me in getting tickets to Salzburg. In addition to them, the staff of the restaurant and housekeeping and the guys who open the front doors. Everyone has a smile on their faces and go out of their way to help.

The rooms were ultra modern and luxurious. The pillows and mattresses are designed to give you a great night's sleep. The view from our room of the St. Stephan's church was lovely.

We checked in a day before my birthday and I received some flowers and a card the next morning. I also enjoyed myself in the jacuzzi in the spa - an experience that was surreal (as I was the only guest in the jacuzzi). On the night of my birthday, we dined at the Loft restaurant on the top floor.

To add to the overall experience, the hotel is located just a few minutes walk from the main shopping area in town and it overlooked a canal of the Danube river.

Were there any downsides? It is really hard to say. I think the only area that could use some improvement is the food. The selection of food in The Loft could be expanded. The sausages at breakfast were not so good (either in room service or the buffet at the Loft). I think the brand of sausages being used could be reconsidered. Other than that, the hotel was great in every way.

I would certainly stay here again if in Vienna.

Might I add that Vienna, Austria is one of the most beautiful cities in the world according to me and is very happening especially in the evenings.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank prasol
Dear Guest,

It is great to read that from start to finish you had an excellent experience in our hotel.

We will be more than glad to pass on your nice words to Wolfgang, Simone and Sonia and of course we will re-evaluate the breakfast sausage.

We hope to see you again soon in Vienna.

Copenhagen Region, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

A "living artwork" - a breathtaking view - walking distance to the old Vienna and the U-Bahn near by (course you need to visit Schönbrunn Palace) - the most helpful and friendly staff you can imagine - fantastic restaurant for both breakfast/brunch and dinner – modern jet cosy rooms. What more can you expect?

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our Living Art Work so much.

We hope to be able to welcome you soon upon your next visit to Vienna.