“Too Big for its Britches”

Zwolf Apostelkeller
Ranked #593 of 4,234 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Munich, Germany
“Too Big for its Britches”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

God this place is big. It just keeps going and going and going . . . down. You're supposed to be glad that you're eating in a real cellar, an authentic historical something or other; but the farther down you tramp, the more cluttered and oddly cheap looking everything is. It's as if the owners have put all their energy into making the first couple of levels beautiful, but then lost interest in the lower levels. They're dreary. Unimaginative. I went down there to take pictures but didn't take any.

And I haven't even begun to talk about the food. It all looked fairly normal. I wouldn't have chosen to eat here. My food was nothing to write home about, so I won't.

It was hot. The air was bad. I couldn't wait to get out into the fresh air. Although it was my birthday and could have had a second glass of wine, all I wanted to do was get out.

• Visited April 2014

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
“Need to be visited at least once”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I fully agree with other reviews about the architectural interest.
Food and wine are decent; my colleagues have also appreciated the different beers. Service is efficient. Price are decent too.
You need to have visited this if you come to Vienna. However I would not return every time I come to Vienna.

• Visited May 2014
California
“Regular stop when in Vienna”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I love this place. I eat there every time I go to Vienna. The ambiance is wonderful. I like their hot dishes more than their cold.

• Visited June 2013
menton
“Of architectural interest”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is really a tourist trap. Having said that, parts of the cellar date back to 1100 and you can admire the later addition of an intricately decorated Gothic well house. It certainly has ambiance and the food is cheap. Main courses are around 11€ with snacks such as sausages with bread or soup about 4€
A bottle of local wine, such as a dry white "Gruner Veltlinger" costs 15€ There is usually someone
singing or playing an instrument. Service is speedy with waiters so used to serving tourists, they might seem a tad bored.
Worth visiting once when in Vienna

• Visited December 2013
Kaluga, Russia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food but...”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

12 apostollkeller has nice food and staff. But souvenir I bought here (nice glass cup) for 3 euro was terrible! It was packing to paper bag and when I open it, cup inside was all covered with scratches((( So sad.