“typical Austrian cuisine”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: Original Wiener Kuche
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have discovered this place just by chance, it 's next to Cafe Hawelka (which unfortunately was a disappointment to me). But Reinthaler's Beisl was a nice discovery. I do not liked the rustic appearance, wooden panels, therefore I hesitated first, but then I really liked it. We have dined here a couple of times during our stay in Wien in January. And also met a couple of famous people from Italy. The place is not full only with tourists. It looks crowded but you always find a place. The cuisine is typical Austrian. I am not a fan of potato, Kraut and meat etc but I was glad for my each choice, pan fried cheese, pan fried mushrooms, schnitzel, gulash, beer etc. Even the desserts were good. Big, delicious and freshly prepared dishes, not a gourmet restaurant, but it's ok. Because the circulation is really fast. We spoken German with the staff, they were friendly and quick. And it costs nothing. But it's not a romantic, calm place. I plan to go there again to feel the casual atmosphere with the locals again.

1  Thank Basak_D_A
There are newer reviews for Reinthaler's Beisl

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Looking for a new place to take two visiting friends from abroad (Hong Kong and Ireland) for a solid Austrian meal in an unpretentious setting, I followed a friend's recommendation to visit Reinthaler's. It is indeed surprising that a place like this still exists in the very heart of Vienna's swank city center. Reinthaler's is a "Beisl" like you can hundreds of in Vienna's outer districts and working class neighborhoods. In that sense it's authentic and offers a glimpse of traditional Viennese culture outside the areas usually frequented by tourists and visitors to the city. It's homely and unpretentious. Service was swift, accommodating, and direct. Our food was served within 10 minutes. The presentation of the food is like you would expect from a factory canteen, but that doesn't necessarily reflect on the taste. One of my friends ordered a Tafelspitz, the other some fried liver, and I had fried chanterelles with egg and potatoes. We all agreed that the food was solid, but not very good. My dish was way too salty. We had to sit in the smoking section of the restaurant as the non-smoking section was fully occupied. In any case, there's no physical barrier between the two areas as the law prescribes, so probably it would have not made much of a difference. The three of us smelled like an ashtray when we left, which unfortunately is still the consequence of eating out far too often in Austria. I can recommend Reinthaler's if you don't mind the smoky air and feel like sampling a slice of traditional "Beisl" culture without leaving the city center. Personally, I doubt I'll take people there anymore in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very well made traditional food served in cozy, wood paneled rooms. Tasted wiener schnitzel, roasted pork loin, goulash, and boiled beef. All excellent. House white wine is good, and they have choices of beer. And it's just a couple of steps off Stephansplatz on Dorotheergasse. Service is quick but not rushed. Also a great place to go to after dinner and sit with wine or whatever and soak in the locals.

1  Thank MTMknits
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Reinthaler's Beisl, located just off the Graben and down the street from Vienna's Jewish Museum, has been a favorite of ours for years. The restaurant is located in Vienna's pedestrian zone so outdoor tables make for great people watching. Indoors, you'll find three wood paneled rooms that are usually packed. The food... what can I say? It's my mother's Viennese cooking at its best and most traditional. Every variety of goulash imaginable, tafelspitz, all kinds of schnitzel both breaded and not, liver, fish and when in season, wild mushrooms. Soups, particularly leberknoedelsuppe and pumpkin are tops. Any of several types of dumplings accompany most main dishes. Desserts, apple or cheese strudel, palatschinken, mohr im hemd, are blissful. Be forewarned: We are not talking haute cuisine here, just really good, honest peasant food served in huge portions. You may have to share a table and in any case you'll be eating cheek to cheek with fellow diners. Service is swift and generally good humored. Enough of a beer and wine selection to keep any one happy. And what does all this cost? Between 35€ and 40€ for two and that's with ordering everything from soup to dessert and after dinner drinks.

1  Thank FloraPapini
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We'd read about this restaurant here on trip advisor, and on the first night easily found it since we didn't care to go around looking for somewhere for a good solid meal.

It was quite easy to find, right off Stephansplatz, you can see the sign from the plaza just down the side street. The food and service were great, we ate outside, got the Snitzel and potato salad, the prices were reasonable, i believe each meal was roughly 12 euros or so.

I'd recommend this restaurant if you just want a good meal, don't want to need to dress, want to people watch near the plaza, and don't want to spend a fortune.