“Authentic Viennese food, charming atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gasthaus Spatzennest - CLOSED

Gasthaus Spatzennest
Cuisines: German, Austrian, Central European, European
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Neubau
Albuquerque, NM
“Authentic Viennese food, charming atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our hotel clerk recommended the Spatzennest for its authentic Viennese menu, its reasonable prices, and its casual atmosphere. She was right on all counts, and my husband and I ended up eating here twice - once on the lovely outdoor patio, and once in the comfortable pub-style interior. The food was very good, prepared to order, fresh, and with a great selection of local specialties. The service was friendly and helpful to us English-only speakers. The beer was great (as is typical in Vienna). The location is a bit off the beaten path, in a quiet and pleasant cobblestone courtyard across from a lovely old church. The clientele was nearly all local - testament to the authenticity and reliability of the fare. We left entirely pleased and looking forward to returning again.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank CaptainH

Malaga, Spain
“Good food in a less touristic area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed four nights at the Falkensteiner Hotel am Schottenfeld and had dinner twice at the Gasthaus Spatzennest. We liked the place very much: Nice terrace, friendly staff, good prices and, what's most important, good food. A non-pretentious place in a less touristic area (though just some minutes walking from the Museum quarter), worth visiting.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rimig
Reading, United Kingdom
“Huge portions. Order dessert at your peril!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our waiter was friendly, attentive and appeared to speak every language of Europe, or at least that's how it appeared from where we were sitting.

It was a Monday night and their delivery had not arrived that day so many things were off the menu. We "made do" with what was on offer, plaice and a chicken escalope with ham and cheese and we were not disappointed. The meal was well cooked and the portions of hearty size. We thought that by leaving a little room, we would be able to accommodate dessert, but we were wrong.

Dessert requires its own mention. I have never been defeated by a pudding until now. I ordered the cottage cheese fritters and a glass of muscat and they were both lovely. My partner ordered what sounded like a jam tart, but seemed more like jam in thick pancakes. However, there was twice as much dessert as either of us needed and we are both "good eaters". A smaller portion for less money would have gone down better with us both.

There are people out there who are probably wondering why I'm complaining at TOO MUCH DESSERT. I just don't like having to leave food at the end of the evening. I feel like I've not done the chef justice if I've not cleaned my plate of his delicious offerings and this was one of those once-in-a-decade occurrences.

Do try Gasthaus Spatzennest. If you're a meat-eater, do have a look at what comes in the frying pans they bring to people's tables as it intrigued me. I think it's meat dumplings and they smelled delicious. I'm sure you won't be disappointed....

• Visited July 2012
Los Altos, CA
“Local Austrian Fare - unpretentious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Cozy family-run restaurant. Delicious food. Pleasant atmosphere. Good and friendly service. Reasonable prices. Indoor and outdoor eating areas. This is a local eating establishment with no attempt to lure tourists.

• Visited May 2012
Pasadena
“Cozy and friendly place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

I had dinner @ Spatzennnest twice in Dec. '10. They had great holiday dishes such as a pheasant schnitzel coated with almonds, and roast wild boar. Their cream of garlic soup soup is fantastic! Very friendly service, modest-looking interior. Only a few min. walk from Altstadt Hotel! Definitely the kind of "Lokal" that I remember from my student days in Wien in the 60s! Excellent traditional fare, served without trendy additions or embellishments. Worth the trip!

• Visited January 2011