“I agree, truly awful”

Cuisines: Austrian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: The “Der Kuckuck” (cuckoo) isone of the most traditional restaurantsin the heart of Vienna.Only five minutes walking distancefrom St. Stephan’s cathedral it offers best Austrian hospitality with excursions to the formerAustrian-Hungarian monarchy.Come and enjoy an evening inoriginal Viennese atmosphere with perfect food & wine. Monday to Sunday:from 5 p.m.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Muddy food, served without grace or charm in a room described as quaint and charming which is quite awful. Tarnished mismatched cutlery,a huge disapointment.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a pleasant little restaurant that serves a good selection of traditional food. White tablecloths, yet a casual feel, this restaurant has a nice comfortable atmosphere.

My husband and I both chose to try something a little out of the box for our entrées. I had their crispy parcels stuffed with vegetables, rösti & homemade fruit-chutney. The dish was very flavorful with a nice crunch and the chutney lent a nice sweetness to the dish. It was very similar in texture and taste to an eggroll.

My husband enjoyed the veal stuffed cabbage roll served with a forest-mushrooms sauce, boiled potatoes & vegetables. It would remind you of the dish that you’ll find in the states called Halupkies - stuffed cabbage rolls.

We had some nice wine to accompany our meal, and thought this restaurant was a very nice find in the city center.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have eaten here a couple of years ago and must say the quality of the food remains very good.

The restaurant (in quite a historic building) is located in a side street off Kärntnerstrasse (the main shopping street) and can seat around 30 people. Once through the door you are already in the restaurant - there is no lobby or bar area to sit. Our coats were taken on arrival and we were shown to our table. There are a selection of cuckoo clocks on the wall, most keeping different times. Decor is quite plain but the old 'Kachel ofen' really gives the room a cosy feeling

We were offered a 'house fruit vodka' which 3 people took and enjoyed - I do not drink Vodka so opted for a glass of Sekt. After ordering - standard menu and a special seasonal mushroom menu - we were served a small amuse bouche. To start: soup - 2 different types, salmon trout and mushrooms - all very good. For the mains we had chicken, beef and fish - all nicely prepared and well presented. This was accompanied by a couple of bottles of Grüner Veltliner which went down well. Chose 2 traditional desserts to share between 4 with a glass each of dessert wine.

Our waiter was very charming - had a good chat with him and the rest of the staff were also very professional. Pace of the meal was nice and relaxed and we were almost the last to leave the restaurant. Will certainly return next time in Vienna

1  Thank TraLonW
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have used this restaurant at this time of year on our annual trips to Vienna for some 5 years or so. Last year we had to go for a walk to await a table this year we telephoned and booked. We wish it had been full and gone somewhere else. The waiter who now seems to be running the restaurant is not a patch on the previous guy and it reflects in the whole restaurant. The waiter was sullen and did not deal with the fact that he served the wrong dish to my wife. My main course was the same as an Austrian lady at the next table and the portion size appeared about double mine. I had sufficient but that is not the point. I enjoyed my starter but the main course was very plain and ordinary. We have recommended this restaurant to many people in the past but will not go there again or tell friends about it.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This used to be our favourite restaurant in Vienna, but not any longer. I ordered mushrooms with green salad as a starter and it came with just potatoes. When I pointed this out to the waiter, he just ignored me although I said it twice! My main course of vegetable 'samosas' came without seasoning or any flavouring and was tasteless. We cancelled our dessert and left - after paying the full price for my starter! The previous reviews were right but it has gone downhill. We won't be going back - the same opinion as many others as it has gone from turning customers away to being 2/3 full. With those prices there is better value in Vienna than this!

1  Thank MargaretBavaria